Luis Garcia on an LFC Forum

DJ_NUFC

Not that anyone would care, but came across this when trying to do some research for my Fantasy team:

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=190594.0

Dear Reds,

First of all I'd like to apologise for not having been back in touch sooner, but I needed to take some time to take on board all the recent changes and then to put down these words for you.

I'm sure you will understand.

I would rather this be a letter of thanks and gratitude, not simply a goodbye.

Yes, thats right, gratitude, because that is the word that best sums up my feelings for you all.

Taking the decision to change clubs hasn't been easy. Not easy at all.

I've experienced three fantastic years at the club and in the city. Three years in which together, the fans and the team, we have accomplished some fantastic achievements, and I'm sure that these successes will continue to be repeated in the near future.

You know that I like a challenge and that I don't just settle for second best.

Back then Liverpool Football Club gave me the opportunity to be part of an ambitious plan to put the Reds back at the summit of the game.

I think that together we managed to achieve that.

As I said, I do like challenges and in spite of the fact that at that time I was playing for my home town club, one of the biggest in the world, I wanted to be a part of that project that was being presented to me by Liverpool, and so I accepted the challenge.

Now, after three seasons in the Premier League and having won some major trophies, the chance came up for me to return to La Liga and be part of a new project at a club I already knew.

The idea of enjoying things in a Spanish club like we experienced together at Liverpool over these last three years appealed to me, and thats why I accepted the offer.

I want to thank everyone working at Liverpool Football Club for how well they have treated both my family and I, making us feel at home from the very first day to the last.

I also want to thank the management, coaching staff and directors for the opportunity they gave me back then to be part of such an important and well-loved club as Liverpool. A club which has helped me to grow as a footballer and where to date I have enjoyed the biggest success of my career.

Without a doubt, this success has been possible thanks to the outstanding group of players with whom Ive been able to share a dressing room over the last three seasons.

I'm not going to mention anyone specifically, because I think that the secret of this team's success has been exactly that: nobody wanted to stand out above the rest and there has always been a great togetherness in the squad, which made it into something more than a group of players, it was a group of friends.

Thanks to all of you for your help and your friendship.

I've left until last the thank you which for me is the most important: Thank you to the supporters.

Your support allowed me to settle quickly at both the club and in the city, and you made me feel really at ease with you all right from the word go; that's the kind of help that you notice most of all during the difficult times, of which there have been a few during my time here.

I'd like to especially thank you for making up a song for me and you should know that every time I heard you singing it, it was like an extra injection of strength and motivation, even helping me to overcome pain occasionally during a game.

Your unconditional support is the thing that ensures that this team manages to pull through in the most difficult circumstances; and I can assure you that the whole squad is aware of this and thanks you for it.

A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters.

Because if one thing has remained obvious to me after these few years, it's that with supporters like you, Liverpool Football Club will never walk alone.

I really hope that the club wins lots of major trophies in the future; I'll be following it all from a distance, with the pride that you can only get from having been a Red and played for the home team at Anfield – a ground that every football fan must visit at least once in their life.

Thank you for everything. Yours most sincerely,

Your friend, Luís García

Cheers Luis, thanks for the memories,

I would rather this be a letter of thanks and gratitude, not simply a goodbye.

Yes, thats right, gratitude, because that is the word that best sums up my feelings for you all.

That really reminded me of the end of Monty Burns book.

"What's that you say? Me, thanking you? "

Guest Brazilianbob

For someone who only lived here for 3 years, that's practically f*cking word for word perfect English. Seriously doubt that's him.

I agree, unless he was reading English at Oxford University after training each day I seriously doubt he wrote that piece.  The nuances in the use of grammar is appropriate to a person who has a perfect grasp of the English language, not someone who couldn't even speak English when he arrived 3 years ago.

It is possible it is a translation, but then how much of it echoes his own sentiments and how much is what the draftsman thought he should say.  Knowing how self serving and self important these scousers are, I would go for the second guess!

For someone who only lived here for 3 years, that's practically f*cking word for word perfect English. Seriously doubt that's him.

I agree, unless he was reading English at Oxford University after training each day I seriously doubt he wrote that piece.  The nuances in the use of grammar is appropriate to a person who has a perfect grasp of the English language, not someone who couldn't even speak English when he arrived 3 years ago.

It is possible it is a translation, but then how much of it echoes his own sentiments and how much is what the draftsman thought he should say.  Knowing how self serving and self important these scousers are, I would go for the second guess!

How about someone writing it for him? Presidents and prime ministers don't write their own speech. It shouldn't be a surprise at all.

Guest toonlass

Far from deriding this, I think its a lovely thing he has done(ducks down from the inevitable "but you're a girl" shouts). If this is sincere and from his heart I think its a lovely gesture and one that maybe we at Newcastle should take note of, someone who was proud to play for the club and sorry to leave(unlike the mercinary bastards who have left us recently). Ho hum

From the beginning to end, reads like some fucking web-template.

"Dear <select team colours>,

<snippety snip>

I really hope that the club wins lots of major trophies in the future; I'll be following it all from a distance, with the pride that you can only get from having been a <select team colours> and played for the home team at <Select stadium name> – a ground that every football fan must visit at least once in their life.

Your friend, <type name here>

:weep: :laugh:

Guest toonlass

Allegedly this is Luque's letter:

Dear Mags,

First of all I'd like to apologise for being utter wank at your club but I need you to take some points on board.

I'm sure you will understand.

I would rather this be a letter of thanks and gratitude, however that is not to be, I wish to express my disgust to all of you.

Yes, thats right, disgust, because that is the word that best sums up my feelings for you all.

Taking the decision to change clubs hasn't been easy. Not easy at all. I have had to take a major cut in my weekly pay packet, which I am sure that you can appreciate is hard. How am I ever going to manage on so little money.

I've experienced three different managers at the club. Three which together agreed I was not good enough for the first team, the fans couldn't believe how lazy and disinterested I was and the team which hated having me around whinging. We have accomplished nothing(oh apart from the Intertwobob plaque or was it Scotty Parker's 25 meters swimming certificate), and I'm sure that this success will be heralded by the Geordies for eternity.

You know that I like a challenge(well the challenge of driving up the A1 without pranging my car) and that I don't just settle for second best, I settle for a large pay cheque in exchange for a light workout every day and weekends off.

Back then Newcastle United Football Club gave me the opportunity to be part of an ambitious plan to put the Magpies back at the summit of the game. I preferred to do as little as I could on the training pitch and piss off all three managers who had to work with me, ensuring that when Saturday came I was on the golf course.

I think that together we managed to achieve fuck all. What with dodgy defenders, the magnificent Shearer retiring and Michael Owen unable to get out of bed without pulling a muscle I think we overachieved at times.

As I said, I do like challenges and in spite of the fact that at that time I was playing in La Liga, one of the biggest leagues in the world, I wanted to be a part of the pay cheque that was being presented to me by Newcastle, and so I accepted the challenge.

Now, after three managers within in the Premier League and having won fuck all(oh aye, Scotty Parkers 25 meters swimming certificate), the chance came up for me to move on and be part of a new project at a club who would pay me money and maybe ignor my poor efforts on and off the field.

The idea of enjoying things such as Dutch Coffee shops and red light areas appealed to me, and thats why I accepted the offer.

I want to thank everyone working at Newcastle United Football Club for how well they have treated both my family and I, making us feel at home from the very first day to the last, and also for paying me HUGE sums of money to sit on my arse.

I also want to thank the management, coaching staff and directors for the opportunity they gave me back then to be part of such an important and well-loved club as Newcastle. A club which has helped me to learn what a bench feels like and where to date I have enjoyed the biggest car crash of my career.

Without a doubt, this success has been possible thanks to the outstanding group of players with whom Ive been able to share a dressing room over the last three seasons, although none of them liked me for being a lazy bastard.

I'm not going to mention anyone specifically, because I think that the secret of this team's success has been exactly that: nobody wanted to stand out above the rest and there has always been a great togetherness in the squad, which made it into something more than a group of players, it was a group of friends.

Thanks to all of you for your help and your friendship.

I've left until last the thank you which for me is the most important: Thank you to the supporters.

Your support allowed me to settle quickly at both the club and in the city by paying money for merchandise and games which paid my wages, and you made me feel really at ease with you all right from the word go by largely ignoring my prescence at the club; that's the kind of help that you notice most of all during the difficult times, of which there have been a few during my time here.

I'd like to especially thank you for making up a song for me and you should know that every time I heard you singing it, it was like an extra injection of strength and motivation, even helping me to overcome pain occasionally during a game. However the "Oh for fucks' sake Albert" shouts did get me down, when I managed to lose the ball more than keep it on a run in on goal.

Your unconditional support is the thing that ensures that this team manages to pull through in the most difficult circumstances; and I can assure you that the whole squad is aware of this and thanks you for it.

A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Newcastle  Football Club from every other team. The supporters, many of whome sit on their hands throughout a game, and sshhh anyone who dares to sing.

Because if one thing has remained obvious to me after these few years, it's that with supporters like you, Newcastle United Football Club will continue to pay inflated pay cheques to wasters like me.

I really hope that the club screw up lots of games in the future; I'll be following it all from a distance, hoping with an undisguised sense of hatred that you lose both away and at St James' Park– a ground that every football fan must visit at least once in their life.

Your friend, Albert Luque