Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

I would hate to come through the academy and play in front of the fuking major fuking twats that call themselves NUFC fans.

You're a bunch of fuking dildo suking w*** stains.

Because we don't bum an average player just because he's come through the youth system?

Taylor should think himself lucky he's the local lad who came through the academy because that's what has stopped most getting on his back inside of the ground.

So why do people rate Taylor as a prospect, but not Ramage?

Because Ramage is a Champion standard defender at best, Taylor on the other hand looked a player that was rough around the edges but could turn out to be a decent player when he first came on the scene, yet here we are 100+ games later and he looks no better, in fact we've discovered that he's thick as shit and has no sort of footballing brain at all.

People still hope he's going to turn into the player they thought, that's why they don't get on his back.

Taylor is widely regarded as one of englands best young prospects, end of.

For all those idiots who think he is a geordie super hero, there are an equal amount of nobs who think he's shit.

I'd like to think most of us agree he is somewhere in between.

I would hate to come through the academy and play in front of the fuking major fuking twats that call themselves NUFC fans.

Because we don't bum an average player just because he's come through the youth system?

Taylor should think himself lucky he's the local lad who came through the academy because that's what has stopped most getting on his back inside of the ground.

Because Ramage is a Champion standard defender at best, Taylor on the other hand looked a player that was rough around the edges but could turn out to be a decent player.

People still hope he's going to turn into the player they thought, that's why they don't get on his back.

I agree, which is why we should try to cash in on him in the summer before everybody else realises he is distinctly average.

I agree, which is why we should try to cash in on him in the summer before everybody else realises he is distinctly average.

That goes for Milner too, we should be taking advantage of people paying over the odds for average English talent by offloading ours.

Because Ramage is a Champion standard defender at best, Taylor on the other hand looked a player that was rough around the edges but could turn out to be a decent player when he first came on the scene, yet here we are 100+ games later and he looks no better, in fact we've discovered that he's thick as s*** and has no sort of footballing brain at all.

I think you're making too many assumptions about WHY people have the opinions they have. I don't favour players because they're from Newcastle, never have, and i'm sure alot of people that have the same views as me aren't that biased either. First and foremost when judging a young player i look at his attributes, not his performances, and i see positive things in Taylor - firstly his aerial ability, he's our biggest danger at set pieces - yes he sometimes loses his man when defending, BUT this is to be expected of a young player, he's reasonably fast(not lightening ofcourse), he's strong physically(i've seen him bully Drogba of all people out of a game), and i have seen improvement in his positioning and maturity(ie not flying into tackles as much). I think he has good potential, but i also think he's not going to fulfill it as long as our team is so unorganized and unsettled - NO young player would fulfill their potential in our current team.

Because Ramage is a Champion standard defender at best, Taylor on the other hand looked a player that was rough around the edges but could turn out to be a decent player when he first came on the scene, yet here we are 100+ games later and he looks no better, in fact we've discovered that he's thick as s*** and has no sort of footballing brain at all.

I think you're making too many assumptions about WHY people have the opinions they have. I don't favour players because they're from Newcastle, never have, and i'm sure alot of people that have the same views as me aren't that biased either. First and foremost when judging a young player i look at his attributes, not his performances, and i see positive things in Taylor - firstly his aerial ability, he's our biggest danger at set pieces - yes he sometimes loses his man when defending, BUT this is to be expected of a young player, he's reasonably fast(not lightening ofcourse), he's strong physically(i've seen him bully Drogba of all people out of a game), and i have seen improvement in his positioning and maturity(ie not flying into tackles as much). I think he has good potential, but i also think he's not going to fulfill it as long as our team is so unorganized and unsettled - NO young player would fulfill their potential in our current team.

Funnily enough I look at attributes too, I see that Taylor isn't particularly fast, isn't as strong as you would expect for someone his size, he doesn't read the game very well and often gets caught out by strikers with a superior footballing brain, he also has little passing ability which means his best form of distribution is the big boot up field.

I don't rate him any higher than the likes of Dawson who most laugh at on here.

He's only 6'2, you can't expect him to be Samson - he's certainly strong enough to be a premiership defender in my eyes and like i said i have seen him out muscle guys like Drogba that are renowned for their strength. He doesn't read the game very well, but what young defender does? This is something that comes with years of experience, and as i have said i have seen improvement in this area. I also don't think he speed and distribution are as bad as you make out, the times he looks slow are the times he's either up against a super fast player like Petrov or when he's been caught out of position.

Funnily enough I look at attributes too, I see that Taylor isn't particularly fast, isn't as strong as you would expect for someone his size, he doesn't read the game very well and often gets caught out by strikers with a superior footballing brain, he also has little passing ability which means his best form of distribution is the big boot up field.

He's not particularly slow, he certainly isn't weak, reading the game is something you gain with experience, and how old are these strikers with "superior footballing brains"?  22?

He's not particularly slow, he certainly isn't weak, reading the game is something you gain with experience, and how old are these strikers with "superior footballing brains"?  22?

I never said he was weak, I said he's not as strong for someone his size, how often do you see him physically dominate and bully strikers?

As for players having footballing brains, it's true that you learn from experience in this department but you're wrong in suggesting young players can't have one now, plenty of young players in the league have footballing brains.

He's an average player who may improve, unless he does improve then we should be looking for better because he wouldn't get a look in in the first teams of clubs pushing for the Uefa cup.

I never said he was weak, I said he's not as strong for someone his size, how often do you see him physically dominate and bully strikers?

As for players having footballing brains, it's true that you learn from experience in this department but you're wrong in suggesting young players can't have one now, plenty of young players in the league have footballing brains.

He's an average player who may improve, unless he does improve then we should be looking for better because he wouldn't get a look in in the first teams of clubs pushing for the Uefa cup.

yep, and to be honest he didn't bully Drogba at all, he simply frustrated him by sticking to him by glue

which striker bullied Taylor in November? oh yeah Kenwyne Jones

You would think with the amount of experience that Taylor has been picking up that he would start emerging as a strong English Centre hald, however, he hasn't developed as we had hoped he would. I think he has been at a bkig disadvantage that he hasn't had chance to play with quality defenders.

Look at someone like John Terry, he was able to learn off quality like LeBoeuf and Desailly and had good full backs like Albert Ferrer and Greame Le Saux to work with. Taylor has had Carr, Bramble and Babayaro at times.

I think we would see a big improvement from Taylor if he played next to a real quality player, but at the moment I would consider him Average at best.

Toon's Taylor you are way to emotionally invested in Steven Taylor. Your little tantrum just then is disturbing evidence of your unrequited love for him.

Change your username and move on.

The lad will only break your heart.

He is not good enough. End of.

Toon's Taylor you are way to emotionally invested in Steven Taylor. Your little tantrum just then is disturbing evidence of your unrequited love for him.

Guest Deep456

I think Taylor has suffered from a) The lack of a quality experienced CB alongside him (Scumball would have been ideal for him before he moved to Pompey) and b) I'm not convinced that Taylor has had the benefit of top class defensive coaching.  For the England U21's he looks a far more imposing CB than he does for Newcastle.

Wheater has had the benefit of coaching from Southgate who I always thought was underrated in his playing days.  If I had the choice I would opt for Taylor, I think there is so much room for improvement there and I don't see that with Wheater.