Enrique expectations

Dave

He said that his game is suitable for the english league.....so I'm expecting something from him.

if this is the case hen why is sam waiting so long to put him in? (not having a go, i just want an answer)...

Help him get used to the country, probably learn a bit more of the language etc..

He said that his game is suitable for the english league.....so I'm expecting something from him.

if this is the case hen why is sam waiting so long to put him in? (not having a go, i just want an answer)...

Help him get used to the country, probably learn a bit more of the language etc..

Yeah, just what I was about to say. And maybe because he didn't have a full pre-season with us.

He seems to be pretty highly rated but I hope people don't use his price tag to expect too much from him.  He's a young lad moving to a new country so it may be next season before we see the best of him.

I reckon he'll get his chances this season but he'll be used as a squad player unless he makes himself undroppable.

Guest eyeball_tickler

if he turns out to be a Bernard who can defend, i'll be delighted.

(Robson era Bernard of course)

Guest thenorthumbrian

Lets hope he does better than the last three signings we brought in from Spain, Marcellino, Luque and ... Owen.

Lets hope he does better than the last three signings we brought in from Spain, Marcellino, Luque and ... Owen.

Probably a good thing Bridge got injured, after all we wouldn't want another player from Chelsea after Parker, Babayaro and ....Duff  :razz:

I think whatever he does we'll be impressed, as we're so used to babayaro playing there. If he can tackle a bit, pass a little and stay back when hes supposed to then we'll be happy as larry.

In all seriousness, I'll give him all the time in the world and in time, even if he doesn't at first, he'll come good no matter what happens because the LB position is all his.

Patience is the key to this new era for Newcastle.

Guest Northern Boys Love Gravy!

like sombody said earlier, Big Sams giving the guy chance to just settle. He's obviously moved from spain, (he's abit of a loner) so he needs time to get to know people and make friends... plus if he's a determind guy which ive heard he is.... then that can be only good for him...

Coz he's just gonna want to get out there and play which holding him back slightly will make him more determined.... Then he can go all guns blasing against wigan if he performs well against barnsley... its all about your mental state....maybe he didnt feel right before...  :coolsmiley:

like sombody said earlier, Big Sams giving the guy chance to just settle. He's obviously moved from spain, (he's abit of a loner) so he needs time to get to know people and make friends... plus if he's a determind guy which ive heard he is.... then that can be only good for him...

Coz he's just gonna want to get out there and play which holding him back slightly will make him more determined.... Then he can go all guns blasing against wigan if he performs well against barnsley... its all about your mental state....maybe he didnt feel right before...  :coolsmiley:

I'm not saying there's nothing in the idea of holding a foreign player back a bit - you don't want to rush a defender into a debut and then he has a mare because he has no understanding with his team mates. But I do wonder whether Sam is also influenced by the fact that Zoggy has had a record of agitating for a move, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to retain a first team place until the transfer window shuts. He may be thinking on similar lines in picking Martins over Owen at the moment.

There's a case for holding Owen back as well, but ......you know.... if I were in Allardyce's shoes I'd be wanting to keep the restless ones quiet until the window shuts.

Sorry its early (well for me anyway) so I am probably missing someone blatantly obvious but are there any Spanish speakers left in our squad?

Nobby if he's still here. A good incentive for him to learn the language if noone can speak it anyhow.

I'm not saying there's nothing in the idea of holding a foreign player back a bit - you don't want to rush a defender into a debut and then he has a mare because he has no understanding with his team mates. But I do wonder whether Sam is also influenced by the fact that Zoggy has had a record of agitating for a move, and it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to retain a first team place until the transfer window shuts. He may be thinking on similar lines in picking Martins over Owen at the moment.

There's a case for holding Owen back as well, but ......you know.... if I were in Allardyce's shoes I'd be wanting to keep the restless ones quiet until the window shuts.

There is a film in there somewhere..."The Restless Ones".

Sorry its early (well for me anyway) so I am probably missing someone blatantly obvious but are there any Spanish speakers left in our squad?

Nobby, and you'd think that Geremi would probably have a basic understanding of the language aswell.

Theres going to be pressure, sure. No more than any of other defenders and lets be honest, this guy just needs to be half decent and he will a hit with the fans. Someone who works their socks off and doesn't make blunders will be enough to ease the pressure.

If he can't do the simple things which even Zoggy's almost managed to do out of position then he deserves all the pressure in the world. From what i've heard, i don't think he will disapoint TBH.

Guest fraser

There is a film in there somewhere..."The Restless Ones".

Enrique would have been involved in a pre-season aiming for a Spanish season start week-end just gone. That doesn't apply to Rozenahl who arrived much earler and Cacapa as the French season starts same week-end as ours (I'll prepare to be corrected here). Inevitably the transfer and subsequent move would have delayed that preseason further. As simple as that I think.

Guest firetotheworks

I think people need to take into account what Big Sam has said about transfer fees. That its not the fee thats important, but the player you get. meaning a player who's cost 5 million should be given the same level of expectation as someone we bought for 1 million. Although thats idealistic and not very realistic Im going to take that on board and forget about the fee. If he starts slowly then he starts slowly. The revolution involves us too, and I think we should maybe rethink our philosophy on expectations. Saying that, he's starting out against Barnsley, thats a good learning curve for him. We should keep giving him support while he's settling in at the very very least.