What is Alan Smith's role exactly?

TRon

He should be bombing into the box much more and we havent seen it.

Maybe that's what the fans were singing about on Sunday?

He's not a natural wide man though in the way Milner or N'Zogbia clearly are. For me Smith is most naturally suited to beinng a support striker like he played for England last week, or as an attacking midfielder. In either role though I would have expected him to be looking for the odd goal, but that doesn't seem to be how he's playing it.

Tbh i'd have him as a back-up right back for Beye if he comes!

Good in the tackle and won't shirk any responsibility if he's asked to play there! He's good at harrassing up the pitch so why should that matter if it's in defence!

Tbh i'd have him as a back-up right back for Beye if he comes!

Good in the tackle and won't shirk any responsibility if he's asked to play there! He's good at harrassing up the pitch so why should that matter if it's in defence!

Because if you thought Carr gave away stupid free-kicks in dangerous areas, that would double with Smith there.

I don't get what his role is DM, AM, winger or striker?, if he was meant to be wide right last night he was never there, drifted in all the time, he gets stuck in and shit but he does tend to over step the mark at times and is a risk of being sent off. Likes to make his mouth go a bit but I guess like Bella's if you stop take that from them then you are taking away part of their game.

I don't see where he will play once Barton is back though, do not see a midfield two of Barton and Smith being a good combination for us, we 100% need some creative flair in the middle and Smith is not that player.

He's doing what he's told to do by the manager. What's the problem?!

There doesn't appear to be much service to the front men, one of the reasons why so many are screaming on these boards for a playmaker. I don't necesarily agree with that, but I don't think going forward we have linked very well this season. Alan Smith isn't ever going to be playing silky football, but if he gives us some steel and aggreszsion in place that's some compensation. But you would want a few goals as well, and I'm surprised, given that he's by nature a striker, he hasn't had more efforts. Like I said earlier, if we have Geremi and Butt providing defensive cover, Smith should have a bit of license to get in the opposition penalty area.

if he was meant to be wide right last night he was never there, drifted in all the time,

second half he was wide right the full game (apart from sub) he just wasnt getting a pass from the likes of solano , geremi , butt which was a waste as he was unmarked because of this and when he did get the ball he made some chances but kicked off a few times. he didnt deserve a yellow card tho!

I thought he was hear to be Kevin Davies away from home.

I thought this, When we just need one tireless nutter to leg around when we are more 4-5-1 than 4-4-3 he seems ideal to me. Maybe he could rival Davies for fouls committed too!

That said, I think he was really brought in to expand our audience of gays, as gays are his biggest fans! Plus gays generally have a lot of money to spend on things like shirts and that.

He's doing what he's told to do by the manager. What's the problem?!

There doesn't appear to be much service to the front men, one of the reasons why so many are screaming on these boards for a playmaker. I don't necesarily agree with that, but I don't think going forward we have linked very well this season. Alan Smith isn't ever going to be playing silky football, but if he gives us some steel and aggreszsion in place that's some compensation. But you would want a few goals as well, and I'm surprised, given that he's by nature a striker, he hasn't had more efforts. Like I said earlier, if we have Geremi and Butt providing defensive cover, Smith should have a bit of license to get in the opposition penalty area.

I agree with all of that as I posted virtually the same recently, but, like I said, he's doing a job for Sam as part of a very defensive midfield.

Sam has obviously set his stall out to make us very hard to beat and it seems to be working. Again, following last nights win, he mentioned how important the clean sheet was to him and the team. Sam's philosophy is to play the percentages which means that if we don't concede then, with the quality we've got up top, we should win more than we lose and I don't think anyone can argue with that.

I'm looking forward to singing 1-0 to the Geordies on a regular basis.

I'm not sure Allardyce knows what to do with him either, when we signed him he said that he couldn't turn down the opportunity to sign a player of Smith's quality. So I don't think it was a planned signing.

Sounds a bit like the Duff situation.

Good point.

He seems to be playing more DM than AM at the minute, which is a strange waste of his actual, and limited, talents. It's the same with Geremi sitting really deep, don't really get Sam's 3-man midfield, Butt usually seems furthest forward. I'd take the three and have Butt deepest, and Geremi and Smith to the right and left respectively in more advanced roles. In actual fact, I'd drop Smith for Emre in that trio.

bit worrying that ashley had a shirt with smith on the back.

maybe a chaiman inspired buy? ?   

Better than him wearing one with Dyer 8.