Tottenham's version of N-O's "Buying from our Premiership rivals"

Rich

Who Would We Want From Newcastle?

Interesting article up on Newcastle Online, they’ve been doing a running series on “Buyng From Our Rivals” where they highlight the players they think they could use from other Premier League squads.

It’s Spurs’ turn this time, and the start of the article has a lot of the relatively poorly informed analysis of the squad that you expect from the fansite of another club - talking about the lack of a left winger as the be all and end all of Spurs when it’s actually a quite deliberate style of play on Jol’s part. We want a left winger as an option, not as a primary tactic. Also saying that the signing of a left winger would herald the exit of Steed is another non-starter. It’s not Newcastle Online’s fault, of course and I’m sure we here at TM will cock up plenty of opinions on other teams as well.

But in terms of poaching players, it seems like Pascal Chimbonda and Steed Malbranque would be their picks for defensive rigour and goals from midfield respectively as apparently those are Newcastle’s biggest problem areas currently. Not quite sure how Berbatov isn’t wanted, but maybe it’s intended to be a realistic article and there’s certainly no chance of Berbs heading to St. James.

But how about the reverse? Who could Spurs use from Allardyce’s Army?

Well, with the exception of Charles N’Zogbia and Joey Barton, Newcastle don’t really have anyone particularly appealing Zoggers would be a nice, true winger option on the left (Bale is not a true winger) and Barton is a massive upgrade over Zokora as a midfield battler - a true poor man’s Steven Gerrard - which isn’t nearly as bad as it sounds. He has a good shot, good eye for a pass and better technique than most give him credit for. Shay Given, Duff and Owen are upgrades in quality but have big health and fitness question marks, which is the last thing we need more of. I’m not sold on Obafemi Martins and, at least while Defoe is still here, we’re doing just fine up front.

And after giving it a few minutes thought, Barton would really do nicely in our squad as he seems to have put the off-pitch nonsense behind him a bit. What we still lack in the middle of the pitch is a player with some serious fire and fight in him and the mentalist that is Joey Barton would do nicely.

Some comments from Tottenham fans in response:

I would have taken Parker before the Hammers nicked him and ruined his career, but you’re right there really isn’t anyone else. Barton is a waster.

Funny! I seem to remember the comments from the present right back who dumped us for ‘greater things’, Ha! I would’ve liked Duff before he gobbed off with his ‘Can’t leave Chelski for Spurs,’ crap, then getting whacked. Indians call it Karma, I believe. Looking at our squad and theirs, they can keep them all, the only talent they have are crocks, no good for a long hard English season with Europe thrown in. COYS!

I’d take n’zogbia, barton, given, that new bloke cacaba - he looked a load better than gardner maybe taylor and milner

thats it

It’s interesting to have thought about this and to conclude that there is only one player at Newcastle who is better than the equivalent first team or sub player at Spurs and that’s Given who is the best keeper in the prem and should be at a big club. Some might say Owen but he has a long way to go to show if he has still got it. Barton would be awful! The rest of the squad is full of journeymen rejects like Butt, Geremi, Carr, Babayaro, Smith etc. along with a smattering of cheap imports no-one’s ever heard of. Milner and Taylor could be decent players but they wouldn’t get on our bench so it would be pointless. Some might say N’Zogbia because he’s a lefty but he would be a compromise purchase and wouldn’t get a game ahead of Bale or Malbranque anyway. Sorry toon fans!

None of there players to be honest, all very average. Maybe one of the groundsmen to fill in our pot holes at half time, northern wages mean we should be able to pay them 50p an hour and a pie

I have to say, I'm loving the continually-increasing venom in this relatively new rivalry. Those Spurs fans have hefty chips on their shoulders about us and I think it's fantastic. Our "rivalry" with the Mackems has been non-existent for years now and 'Boro are even more meaningless than the red and whites, so I'm reveling in this bitterness between our lot and the Yids. It's what football's all about IMO and has made the Spurs fixtures one of the highlights of my season, personally, although I do admit there was a fair bit of history there originally on my part already.

"NORVERN MANKIES!"

I cant even be arsed to give these arseholes 5 mins, you get people who are normal and want good debate, but then and for some reason this is rife with Spurs fans, you get deluded arseholes who think they are the best thing since slice fucking bread. We fired 6 goals past them last season and we still arnt a patch on them in their opinion, fuck them i say.

Reminds me of a comedy sketch I once saw:

Man - "So why do you hate Tottingham, son?"

Boy - "Because they're all fucking cunts, dad."

:thup:

I'd love it if they crashed and burned this season

spurs fans are deluded arrogant pricks.. my mates who are spurs fans realistically think they're... wait for it.. : "champions league quality, easy".

"journeymen"?- ignorant twats... tell you what i hope they screw-up this season; that'll put their heads right.

Guest kingdawson

I would honestly take n'zogbia, Barton, Given, and maybe Martins.

Owen > Bent, Defoe, Keane.

Would take all of them over a half fit owen tbh.

To be fair, arent both teams fairly evenly matched?

Spurs have have had a couple of good seasons so no one can deny that they are improving on their pefromances pre-2005/6'ish.

I think that after a season or 2 under Sam however, and assuming that the whole recent Jol/levy things doesnt completely fuck up the balance and momentum at the club we will be easily be fighting them for 4th/5th place.

I would honestly take n'zogbia, Barton, Given, and maybe Martins.

Owen > Bent, Defoe, Keane.

Those three are much more likely to play though tbf.

Mmmm, at this moment in time perhaps. Mickey will show us who's boss this season though.

Guest kingdawson

So Jenas is better quality than anyone that we have ??

I see where this is going so im not going to answer that question.

Don't see what KD has said wrong in this instance at all tbh.

Reckon they'd take Taylor if he was going as well, but there's no glaring ommisions other than that and including Oba is pretty generous given their options up front.

Guest kingdawson

It's funny how they think hardly any of ours are better than theirs, and i think the same the other way around.  Think i'd only be interested in Lennon and Berbatov.

so chimbonda isnt an improvement on your current right back?

king isnt an improvement on any of your centre backs?

Guest optimistic nit

It's funny how they think hardly any of ours are better than theirs, and i think the same the other way around.  Think i'd only be interested in Lennon and Berbatov.

so chimbonda isnt an improvement on your current right back?

king isnt an improvement on any of your centre backs?

chimbonda yes. for king see owen.