What is Smith's best position?

Guest toonlass
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think  signing smith is the only negative thing allardyce has done since he came in. Not really a bad player, but definetly not worth 6 million and what seems like a starting position.

Guest mobiius

Personally, I think its on the bench!

i agree with that. while i do think we maybe paid a touch to much for him i feel that he is a fair signing. he is not in my starting 11 but he would be on the bench but it seems that he has got admirers in the highest possible place (Mick Ashleys shirt gives it away) so i think he will play more often than not.

I also say on the bench and I have to wonder if it was Sam who really wanted Smith or if it was Mike Ashley who wanted him.

You will notice its a Smith shirt that Ashley wears and they were saying on radio Newcastle yesterday that Smith is Ashley's all time favorite player..

The trouble with Smith is what do you judge him on? As a striker he's poor because he simply doesn't score many goals. He isn't an attacking midfielder because he doesn't go forward. As a defensive midfielder I think he's ok. To be fair to him though, we haven't lost with him in the side yet.

Guest justin99.

Very early to be judging yet. He's only played what 3 games?

He does have to adjust from playing with the best team in the league to Newcastle.

he's a central striker who can hold up the ball in 442 or less effectively he can play in any of the front 6 positions in 433. He has shown in the last two games he is not a wide player in 442 but let's not write him off just because he's doing a job for his manager playing out of position in a new and evolving team.

As we've been linked with Smith in the past I've always watched him at Leeds and Manu and never made my mind up about him. He does some things like a really top player and then will do something very ordinary.

One thing though is that he'll have to stay on his feet more or else he'll be suspended for half the season.

Guest sicko2ndbest

CF

Get off his back, so far he has played in 3 different positions since he has been here and not once has he moaned. Even when being brought off yesterday he gave a 'c'mon Oba get the winner' speech on the sideline before tapping him on the back of the head. No sulking

Great character, great versatility and from the football first highlights didnt have a bad game!

Were stuck with a player who is too weak and slow (without the ability on the ball to compensate) to be consistently effective up front against strong, aggressive Premiership centrebacks, as several seasons of poor performances in the Premiership as a striker have shown along with a poor scoring record, and who also doesnt make anything more than an average midfielder who doesnt know how to get forward and who can be pretty reckless - a backup player who is expecting to play regularly.

Its a novel idea to have a utility player like Smith on the bench providing backup for two or three positions, because hes solid and off the ball/defensively hes a good team player, but hes not going to be happy on the bench, otherwise he wouldnt have left ManU, who play far more games than we do whilst having several injury prone players, and hence would have more scope to use him as backup player.

I hope that Allardyce doesnt see him as a favourite who gets games purely because he signed him.

Were stuck with a player who is too weak and slow (without the ability on the ball to compensate) to be consistently effective up front against strong, aggressive Premiership centrebacks, as several seasons of poor performances in the Premiership as a striker have shown along with a poor scoring record, and who also doesnt make anything more than an average midfielder who doesnt know how to get forward and who can be pretty reckless - a backup player who is expecting to play regularly.

Its a novel idea to have a utility player like Smith on the bench providing backup for two or three positions, because hes solid and off the ball/defensively hes a good team player, but hes not going to be happy on the bench, otherwise he wouldnt have left ManU, who play far more games than we do whilst having several injury prone players, and hence would have more scope to use him as backup player.

I hope that Allardyce doesnt see him as a favourite who gets games purely because he signed him.

He looks as if he is doing everything that is asked of him and most of that is unnatural to his game.  Hanging deep and hugging that line would screw anyone's confidence but Smithy is doing it by the numbers.

Let's see what he is like when told to bomb on, then we can judge him.  I think we would have noticed him more last season where there was just no fight in the midfield. This time around, he's surrounded by a few fellow battlers and one to come back.

He'll do fine.