Emre

NSG

Seems to have a hard job completing a game without picking up yet another injury or niggle. I would say he is very much at the crossroads of his career at Newcastle. Hopefully he can remain fit enough to make himself available for a decent period of games coming up or questions will be asked.

Guest jimmy1982

Seems to have a hard job completing a game without picking up yet another injury or niggle. I would say he is very much at the crossroads of his career at Newcastle. Hopefully he can remain fit enough to make himself available for a decent period of games coming up or questions will be asked.

I think thats a good assessment Big Tron. He has hinted that he could be a real world class player for a while but he's done very little of note apart from score against the mackems really.

I read an article about him in World Soccer a while back (before he signed for us I think) and it seems like he's been billed as the greatest ever Turkish footballer since he was about 12. I'd never seen him play much so when we signed him I thought mint - my logic was that if he's the best Turkish player he must be even better than Tugay who i reckon is one of the most underrated premier league players ever. I also remember reading a quote from Steven Gerrard somewhere saying that he'd played against Emre all the way through international schoolboy football and he said he was always the best midfielder he ever played against at that level.

Its about time He did something to justify this massive reputation he's seems to have built for himself from his time at Galatasaray. From all accounts he wasn't much cop at Inter either. He's had the excuses that he's played under a couple of duff managers since he came here and been injured a fair bit, so lets hope he can put the injuries behind him and that Sam can get the best out of him. I think he also suffered from playing with Parker, who as loads of people have said on here slowed the play down too much. He might be one of these players who needs everything to go through him, and need s to be on the ball pretty much as soon as we win it - nothing wrong with that, as long as he delivers an end product when he gets it. I seem to remember reading that George Hagi really rates him as well, form when they played together at Gala, so that is a plenty good enough recomendation for me!

I think thats a good assessment Big Tron. He has hinted that he could be a real world class player for a while but he's done very little of note apart from score against the mackems really.

I read an article about him in World Soccer a while back (before he signed for us I think) and it seems like he's been billed as the greatest ever Turkish footballer since he was about 12. I'd never seen him play much so when we signed him I thought mint - my logic was that if he's the best Turkish player he must be even better than Tugay who i reckon is one of the most underrated premier league players ever. I also remember reading a quote from Steven Gerrard somewhere saying that he'd played against Emre all the way through international schoolboy football and he said he was always the best midfielder he ever played against at that level.

Its about time He did something to justify this massive reputation he's seems to have built for himself from his time at Galatasaray. From all accounts he wasn't much cop at Inter either. He's had the excuses that he's played under a couple of duff managers since he came here and been injured a fair bit, so lets hope he can put the injuries behind him and that Sam can get the best out of him. I think he also suffered from playing with Parker, who as loads of people have said on here slowed the play down too much. He might be one of these players who needs everything to go through him, and need s to be on the ball pretty much as soon as we win it - nothing wrong with that, as long as he delivers an end product when he gets it. I seem to remember reading that George Hagi really rates him as well, form when they played together at Gala, so that is a plenty good enough recomendation for me!

When he first played for Newcastle, he showed glimpses of being a pretty special player. Since his early games though he's not really done enough and frustratingly has not played enough consecutive games to allow anyone to form a real opinion. When Joey Barton gets back, there isn't likely to be many first team slots available, so I think if Emre doesn't get involved in the next few weeks his opportunities are going to be limited.

Guest jimmy1982

Yep, he'll have to get his act together pretty sharpish. It will be a shame if he turns out to be another player with ability who came here and did nowt and then left. Especially if he goes somewhere else and lives up to his potential.

I bet he's praying that Barton goes to jail!!!

Ya see, i think 433 would suit him alot this season, i think we'd get alot of width with a 433 opening up alot of space between the channells between centre half and full back, this is ideal territory for Emre to slot his balls passes. The only real problems i can envisage this season with emre are injuries and how Barton and Smith, especially Smith could affect his chances in the team.

Guest jimmy1982

Yep, I reckon that as well. One of the reasons I was so positive about Sam coming was I was sure he would get the best out of Emre and Duff, maybe even Luque, with his 433 and his man management.

It would be a pity if Emre got fit but was still kept out of the team by Smith, cos he is potentially a much higher class player than Smith. There's that word potential again though...

How does he get injured all the time, mind boggling. I mean obviously

he's doing something wrong, no matter what the injury is he should fully recover.

That's exactly what seemed to happen when he played with Butt in defensive midfield for a couple of matches last season. With Parker having been told by Roeder to play as a box to box midfielder (which was mindboggling as he was quite decent at first as a defensive midfielder), Emre was forced to be much more defense-minded than he naturally is. His game suffered massively as a result. I am confident that a fit Emre with Butt in a defensive role and alongside Barton could prove to be much more effective for us. He needs to become and remain fully fit first though, which looks like it could be a problem..

emre when fit, and on his day, is a class player. vision, skill on the ball, unafraid to take on defenders; i think he's what we're missing right now.

prpblem is, how often does he have "his day". He's a good player, but goes missing too often.

i agree, 'his day' is often on every other match but a consistent emre will be needed to sort out our visionless midfield.

We really need to sign an attacking central midfielder with good passing and creativity in his locker, because unless Emre proves otherwise, we cant rely on him staying fit, and in this case its pretty ridiculous that hes virtually our only technically adept player with some form of creativity and flair in his game.

Ive personally given up on Emre to an extent, because despite being a good player with natural technical ability on the ball, hes useless if he cant stay fit, and im not sure he has the physique and playing style to do so. This was a concern pointed out when we first signed him, because a midget who can both distribute the ball as well as dribble will always be a target for some teams to rough up - cant sit back otherwise he'll cause problems with his passing, cant close down because he can dribble past players once theyre sucked in, so the best alternative is to foul him. We saw this at Blackburn last year, when Emre had managed to stay fit for some time and was really starting to find some top form, where he was quickly becoming the heartbeat of the side - Blackburn players spent much of the game kicking lumps out of him, and the end result was predictably Emre being crocked yet again.

Maybe hes better off in Spain or an alternative league where his chunky short legs wont be hacked everytime he runs past someone, but certainly this should be his last season to produce the goods with us or be moved on. We should have the money and hopefully be in a better position to attract someone better next summer if he does fail this season.

Guest Stephen927

This is the season where he has to produce the goods on a consistent basis. There's competition for places for the first time in a few years and I can't see Sam having the time or the patience to hang around for Emre if he isn't producing the goods.

It's hard not to like Emre when he's on top of his game, but theres the side of him that you lose patience with, such as his short-temper and tendency to go missing for large periods of a game.

A club like Newcastle needs to be going places, if Emre isn't producing the goods he needs to be replaced, he'll have few excuses come the end of the season for not producing the goods though.

emre when fit, and on his day, is a class player. vision, skill on the ball, unafraid to take on defenders; i think he's what we're missing right now.

prpblem is, how often does he have "his day". He's a good player, but goes missing too often.

i agree, 'his day' is often on every other match but a consistent emre will be needed to sort out our visionless midfield.

its a pretty objective view to say he has off days, theres not been too many players we can really shout about for the last 2/3 seasons. Emre isn't much of a player without possesiion. FACT, but with 2 combative midfielders behind him allowing him to be more independent, would (in theory) do wonders for his game, last season was a joke for him, it was clear that he was much better with butt because butt could sit deep and allow him posession, put Geremi AND butt behind him i can see a very consistent team player for us...potentially very important player for us

Guest johny2k

i agree, its hard 2 dislike emre when he's fit and up for it. i remeber when we signed him martin jol talked about how talented emre was but he thought he needed to play in a 3 man central midfield to get the best out of him, similar to inter in the season he was the fans player of the year, and in the formation we've played so far this season he'd flourish, but i still think our best team is with wingers to get the best out of our strikers, so its difficult becasue if you have emre in your going to lose out on having possibly n'zog in the team provided this spanish guy plays!

I think people are being a little harsh on Emre. His last injury was the result of a bad challenge by a Reading player. I think he certainly is prone to injury, but I think this has as much to do with the fact that he is a combative, committed little player, who due to his diminutive stature comes off worse in 50-50 challenges. He's not like a Babayaro or a Marcelino.

As much as a like Big Sam, I too fear that he'll pick Smith ahead of Emre for the sake of it, which would be diabolical. A 433 with Butt/Geremi, Barton and Emre has a nice balance in my view, but I can't see it happening. I think the reason he seems to be taking longer is that Sam, as he has proved so far, wants to make sure he is properly fit-obviously Barnsley was too soon.

I also think it's unfair to judge Emre for not doing much in the last 2 seasons. He's been as good/bad (delete as you like) as anyone in the team. Who has stood out in the dank last few seasons? Zoggy had one, I guess Milner, and Butt had a renaissance, but those apart, I don't think anyone has put themselves miles ahead of Emre in terms of contribution. I'm not saying Emre has lived up to his reputation, but I think he has a lot more to offer.

I don't think people realise just how much we need Emre in the team. Really don't think I can stand another Butt, Geremi, Smith midfield

Is our best start to a season for 5 years getting you down!?

6 years. If we get a point at Derby it will be the best since Dalglish was here, I think.

EDIT: Wrong, we need to beat Derby to get a better start than we had in 2000/01 (10 points from 5 games - LWWWD)