Steven Taylor rejects new contract; Liverpool preparing £5m bid?

magorific
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If he is such an average defender that is always likely to be error-prone as many on here suggest, then why do Liverpool and Chelsea want him?

Do they?

I seem to remember reading that Man Utd and Arsenal wanted Reo Coker, yet when push came to shove the only club to come in for him were Villa.

Oh well if Reo Coker went to Villa, Taylor mustn't be wanted by Liverpool and Chelsea  :idiot2: O0

The point I was making was that just because the papers say it doesn't necessarily mean it's true, obviously I'll need to break it down for you in future. O0

I know what you meant but Taylor would have more takers than Reo Coker.  The papers make up almost everything, often driven by stories from agents.

I would say Taylor could get a better club than us (where we are now and have been for a few years) if he chose to leave, whereas Reo Coker was never going to get a move to one of the top 6 or 7 clubs in England

If you knew what I meant then why try and make out I meant something different? :rolleyes:

As for Taylor, I can see maybe Liverpool and Spurs coming in for him, then again I thought Arsenal and Spurs may have been interested in Reo Coker so you never know, alot will depend on what the club values him at.

I was disagreeing with your comparison, which I understood, but didn't agree with.

I dont think his valuation would rule out anyone the way some money's been spent this summer either

It's funny how people think him being a Geordie shouldn't matter and yet to many it clearly does.

I think it's very important that we have at least one Geordie on the playing staff who can link the history of the club and the passion of the fans back to the dressing room.

I think that Taylor has the potential to be our John Terry or our Tony Adams, the heart beat of our club.

We should pay him the going rate for promising young talent at our club, on a par with N'Zogbia or Milner, and I'd be disappointed if he was dissatisfied with that.

the whole situation stinks of that situation in 2004 when all the young players went full of themselves like jenas, dyer and bellamy. looks like stevie is doing the same and if  he doesn't  realise he's getting handsomely paid to play for his dream club, then i'd ship him out beacuse we don't need this. he is a good defender and will get better....as long as he realises he isn't bigger than the club.

What are you on about? He isn't handsomely payed at all, by all accounts he is one of the lowest paid players at the club.

To be honest I can't blame Taylor for what he's doing. He wants to be paid a fair rate that is on a par with other young players at this club and he wants to start. At the end of the day it's his livelihood so if he can't get what he wants he'll move on. 

8,000 a week to play for nufc is okay for me pal! he should be grateful.

is it fair for the club to try and exploit the fact that he loves the toon and wants to play for them if indeed that is what they are doing or are they using the fact that he hasn't got a "proper" agent to sort out his affairs. it may be worth noting the amount of wages that titus bumble was on whilst he was at SJP and he couldn't tie tayls boots(couldn't tie his own for that matter,hence the repeated blunders) gary kelly was on £46,000 wk at leeds from 2001. imo tayls is one of the most promising english talents in this country and his salary should be in line with other players. surely no agent worth his salt would sit and listen to £8,000 a week

the whole situation stinks of that situation in 2004 when all the young players went full of themselves like jenas, dyer and bellamy. looks like stevie is doing the same and if  he doesn't  realise he's getting handsomely paid to play for his dream club, then i'd ship him out beacuse we don't need this. he is a good defender and will get better....as long as he realises he isn't bigger than the club.

What are you on about? He isn't handsomely payed at all, by all accounts he is one of the lowest paid players at the club.

To be honest I can't blame Taylor for what he's doing. He wants to be paid a fair rate that is on a par with other young players at this club and he wants to start. At the end of the day it's his livelihood so if he can't get what he wants he'll move on. 

is it fair for the club to try and exploit the fact that he loves the toon and wants to play for them if indeed that is what they are doing or are they using the fact that he hasn't got a "proper" agent to sort out his affairs. it may be worth noting the amount of wages that titus bumble was on whilst he was at SJP and he couldn't tie tayls boots(couldn't tie his own for that matter,hence the repeated blunders) gary kelly was on £46,000 wk at leeds from 2001. imo tayls is one of the most promising english talents in this country and his salary should be in line with other players. surely no agent worth his salt would sit and listen to £8,000 a week

That turned out to be a smart move didn't it.

It will be interesting to see if Sam plays him tomorrow.Really hope we dont sell him,I think hes going to be one of the best defenders in Europe evermind England!He certainly has the potential and If he keeps his head screwed on and listens to advice from all the experienced defenders around him now I certainly think he will be!

It's funny how people think him being a Geordie shouldn't matter and yet to many it clearly does.

I think it's very important that we have at least one Geordie on the playing staff who can link the history of the club and the passion of the fans back to the dressing room.

I think that Taylor has the potential to be our John Terry or our Tony Adams, the heart beat of our club.

We should pay him the going rate for promising young talent at our club, on a par with N'Zogbia or Milner, and I'd be disappointed if he was dissatisfied with that.

Totally agree with everything there.

That turned out to be a smart move didn't it.

depends which way you look at it leeds current situ then its not to smart but then i suppose the £12mill in wages over 5 years he has picked up tends to soften the blow dynt.

Agree with that completely.

Look at the top clubs around Europe. Maldini at Milan, Puyol at Barcelona, Kahn at Bayern, Man Utd's "class of 92", Carragher/Gerrard at Liverpool, Terry/Lampard at Chelsea, Raul at Real Madrid. I'm not saying Taylor has their ability, but then we aren't Milan or Barcelona either. The point remains the same.

Look at the top clubs around Europe. Maldini at Milan, Puyol at Barcelona, Kahn at Bayern, Man Utd's "class of 92", Carragher/Gerrard at Liverpool, Terry/Lampard at Chelsea, Raul at Real Madrid. I'm not saying Taylor has their ability, but then we aren't Milan or Barcelona either. The point remains the same.

Disagree with that comparison. Even taking the difference in the quality of the above teams vis a vis us into account, those players you mentioned are all first teamers and in fact are probably the first player that the managers pick every weekend. As it stands now, Taylor is not a first team player and should not be paid equal to Zog and Milner (who are first teamers) just because Taylor is a Geordie. I think he is important and potentially has a good future at the club, but treating him differently just because of his birthplace will be the start of things getting to his head and possibly his own downfall.

Disagree with that comparison. Even taking the difference in the quality of the above teams vis a vis us into account, those players you mentioned are all first teamers and in fact are probably the first player that the managers pick every weekend. As it stands now, Taylor is not a first team player and should not be paid equal to Zog and Milner (who are first teamers) just because Taylor is a Geordie. I think he is important and potentially has a good future at the club, but treating him differently just because of his birthplace will be the start of things getting to his head and possibly his own downfall.

Spot on. Comparing Taylor to the players mentioned above is really just inviting mockery from the football world.

On Taylor being a promising talent:

yes he is, but we aren't the only clubs who can't keep promising talent because they want to play first team football and earn big wages. Lots of youngsters have moved from Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool for those reasons.

On Taylor being a proud geordie:

if he is he'll stay and the bleating through the local press will stop. Does anyone seriously think he isn't going to be offered a decent deal here? He's not going to walk into Chelsea or Liverpool's 1st team because he's a geordie either. On the other hand, if he's not such a proud geordie he'll look for a better deal eslewhere and he'll run for the money come January.

This smells to me like he's been talking to other England players and has been unsettled by them.

And for some inexplicable reason he thinks by going to the local press he'll get the fans' sympathy because he is a Geordie, if he thinks that he doesn't realise that no-one is bigger than the club and the fans will soon turn against him. The fact that he's saying "play me or I'll go in January" is an absolute disgrace. Frankly if that's his attitude then he can feck off. A 21 year old picking the team? Aye that'll be right.

I don't care if he's the best defender in the world (which he isn't and never will be), we've had enough of young English so called talent with "potential" that never appears and too much "aren't I the greatest" attitude  (Jenas, Dyer, to name 2).

Don't let anyone think this is made up by the press, it's being drip fed to them, word by word. The fact that he and his father are annoyed that Sam is saying they

shouldn't have gone to the papers shows what naive negotiators they are. Get an agent son - and if you don't like it here bog off to West Ham to lord it around with your England mates. >:(

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Taylor's not leaving Newcastle

Miles Starforth Newcastle United writer

STEVEN Taylor has no intention of quitting Newcastle United – whether or not he is dropped for tonight's game against Derby County.

A report yesterday claimed Taylor – who has turned down a new five-year deal at St James's Park – would tell the Sam Allardyce he wanted to leave in January if he was not in his starting XI at Pride Park.

This has infuriated the England Under-21 captain, who insists he is as committed as ever to the club he has supported since childhood, despite the contractual wrangle.

A source close to the player said: "It's nonsense – there's absolutely no truth in it whatsoever.

"Steven would never dream of making any demands on the manager – it's his decision to pick the team, and his alone. Steven has always respected the manager's decision, and always will.

"To say today is D-Day is ridiculous.Steven wants to stay, and the manager has gone on record saying he wants him to stay, so there's no problem.

"This report is a complete fabrication, and very hurtful to Steven.

"Steven's a Newcastle United supporter, and playing for the club means everything to him.

"He has turned down the club's first offer, but that's normal in contract negotiations and Steven hopes to agree a new deal as quickly as possible."

Taylor – who played at right-back against Wigan Athletic just over a fortnight ago – could make way for Habib Beye, who is in Allardyce's squad along with fellow new signing Jose Enrique.

And that would leave Taylor, Cacapa and David Rozehnal competing for the two centre half places.

Meanwhile, contract talks between Taylor and the club could resume this week, with chairman Christopher Mort planning to meet the 21-year-old's father Alf, who is handling negotiations on his behalf.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Taylor39s-not-leaving-Newcastle.3206483.jp

This smells to me like he's been talking to other England players and has been unsettled by them.

And for some inexplicable reason he thinks by going to the local press he'll get the fans' sympathy because he is a Geordie, if he thinks that he doesn't realise that no-one is bigger than the club and the fans will soon turn against him. The fact that he's saying "play me or I'll go in January" is an absolute disgrace. Frankly if that's his attitude then he can feck off. A 21 year old picking the team? Aye that'll be right.

I don't care if he's the best defender in the world (which he isn't and never will be), we've had enough of young English so called talent with "potential" that never appears and too much "aren't I the greatest" attitude  (Jenas, Dyer, to name 2).

Don't let anyone think this is made up by the press, it's being drip fed to them, word by word. The fact that he and his father are annoyed that Sam is saying they

shouldn't have gone to the papers shows what naive negotiators they are. Get an agent son - and if you don't like it here bog off to West Ham to lord it around with your England mates. >:(

So many people are instantly-prepared to believe the worst of people and to believe all the bad news instantly.

Nothing will change that automatic negativity, I suppose, sadly.

This whole thing is 95% fabricated press rubbish.

Steven Taylor will agree a slightly different (better) contract soon - all part of the negotiation process - none of the "deadline" drivel is true - he will become an excellent defender with us for years to come.

So many people are instantly-prepared to believe the worst of people and to believe all the bad news instantly.

Nothing will change that automatic negativity, I suppose, sadly.

This whole thing is 95% fabricated press rubbish.

Steven Taylor will agree a slightly different (better) contract soon - all part of the negotiation process - none of the "deadline" drivel is true - he will become an excellent defender with us for years to come.

I agree, i've always thought that Taylor will sign an improved contract. I only hope Taylor's dad realises that by going to the press in any way shape or form could turn some of the fans against his son, and can look to some quarters as a way of trying to force the clubs hand.

In my personal view i think the quotes of him saying he hopes the clubs not trying to force out Taylor showed his naivety in these sort of situations, it's common practice for clubs to offer less and agents to ask for more, then both parties come to a middle ground. I just think all this should have been done behind closed doors and no one would have been any the wiser.

I still think he's been influenced by his England colleagues, and his father is playing the game of speaking to the press and then denying anything was ever said and then oh how hurt and upset he is, oldest PR ploy in the book.  Except he's dealing with Mort now who won't be impressed. However I'm sure the deal will be signed and sealed later than sooner, and we'll be subject to every move by his "no clue how to be an agent" father.  Why isn't he aware that an opening offer is just that, he says not enough, they offer more and so it goes on.

No doubt similar offers were made to Milner and N'Zogbia and were turned down too but we didn't have all this nonsense.

I still think he's been influenced by his England colleagues, and his father is playing the game of speaking to the press and then denying anything was ever said and then oh how hurt and upset he is, oldest PR ploy in the book.  Except he's dealing with Mort now who won't be impressed. However I'm sure the deal will be signed and sealed later than sooner, and we'll be subject to every move by his "no clue how to be an agent" father.  Why isn't he aware that an opening offer is just that, he says not enough, they offer more and so it goes on.

No doubt similar offers were made to Milner and N'Zogbia and were turned down too but we didn't have all this nonsense.

Nah we scared Zog and Milner into signing low paid deals by threatening them with Fulham and Villa respectively