Women's World Cup

Dave

The quality on show is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Everyone expects it to be shit, so it is. They're never going to be as physically capable as men for obvious reasons but there's ultimately no reason I can see why a woman can't be as skilful with a football as Lionel Messi. Comes down to lack of resources and commitment, which is a cultural issue.

PS: I realise the irony of me posting this considering the OP. :lol:

I don't think the quality is that bad, it's obviously going to be many steps down from watching top flight football. They gotta start somewhere, half these teams are all amateur players. In some of these countries it's a huge deal that women are playing any organized sport, it will take 20 years for money and eventually talent to break through.

Also FOX's coverage of this it dreadful.

I don't think the quality is that bad, it's obviously going to be many steps down from watching top flight football. They gotta start somewhere, half these teams are all amateur players. In some of these countries it's a huge deal that women are playing any organized sport, it will take 20 years for money and eventually talent to break through.

:lol: I'm shocked.

Guest bobbyfisher

`He genuinely seemed delighted to have lost 1-0  `

one the commentators mentioned it could help us in the next round to finish 2nd in the grp.

SO samson must think he can beat the other 2 teams in the grp and finish behind france;  its a gamble assuming that france will do the business for us.  Two wins and a draw will be enough for them ?>

Mexico might try and park the bus against england?

Looking forward to Germany/Norway tomorrow, we will see if ze germans have any real spirit.

Also this was hilarious: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/soccer/australian-federation-website-rips-team-usa-wwc-loss-article-1.2252260

They make some fair points, that our 4-4-2 was stale and our tactics rudimentary, but we beat them 3-1 so I am not sure what they hope to win off these criticisms. Just some angry colonials who never quite won their independence I suppose.

I have noticed that a lot of women's national teams play the flat 4-4-2 that you just never see any more in the men's game, what gives? I mean I know women can't handle balls the same way a man can, but surely there wouldn't be any reason for coaching to be behind the times...

Just noticed that Spain is playing in this, our first time ever in a WC. We drew against Costa Rica yesterday.

Alexia Putellas - not the Alex Morgan type sexy, but there's something about her I really like.

Just noticed that Spain is playing in this, our first time ever in a WC. We drew against Costa Rica yesterday.

Alexia Putellas - not the Alex Morgan type sexy, but there's something about her I really like.

She scored a wonder goal a couple years ago that made the headlines. She's cute, but with a very unfortunate surname for a Spanish woman.

She scored a wonder goal a couple years ago that made the headlines. She's cute, but with a very unfortunate surname for a Spanish woman.

:thup: Thought about that myself. Is it a word with a meaning though, or just resembling one?

:thup: Thought about that myself. Is it a word with a meaning though, or just resembling one?

It resembles our word for "little whore" (putilla).

You don't want to be a woman and go to school with a surname like that.

Haven't watched women's football in a long time, and I saw the game yesterday expecting it to have come on a fair bit. Was right behind it/hoping for the best until the action started. It was far worse than I remembered it. Struggle to see any significant commercial investment ever getting behind it.

Haven't watched women's football in a long time, and I saw the game yesterday expecting it to have come on a fair bit. Was right behind it/hoping for the best until the action started. It was far worse than I remembered it. Struggle to see any significant commercial investment ever getting behind it.

I think people underrate the physical demands of football. It's one thing being technically and tactically competent, and another being technically and tactically competent during 90 minutes covering a pitch so big as a football one.

I watched a fair bit of women futsal, for example (I love futsal); and it's a much better show than regular women football. I think the pitch size has a lot to do with that.

Agreed, it's not thad bad. And besides, does it really matter? I enjoy watching U21 games and games in smaller European leagues where the quality is shite compared to the Premiership. Watching football is not solely about the quality of the football on show, of course.

That France v England game was awful.

Not watched any of the rest.

Nigeria are class. Watch them.

USA are absolute must watch TV too. They genuinely have players that are better than Newcastle's, and they are much better to look at too.

Having watched their first game, I have been motivated to change careers, and become a USA women's coach in any capacity. It must happen for me.