Derby VS Newcastle

Decky

Suppose anything is possible, but I'll be mighty shocked if they were to ever form a good partnership.

Owen has always been best with a striker partner who will do the bulk of the work in general play, allowing Owen to contribute sparsely in terms of active build up play and play on the shoulder of the last defender, always threatening to get in behind. He then comes into his element in the box, where he's as good as anyone.

Heskey is a good example, he's always getting about doing the bulk of the work. Rooney will be the same when they eventually get a run of games together for England, as Rooney likes to drop deep and link the play.

The threat of Owen in behind also gives his striker partner more room to play in.

I like Martins, but his play is very erratic and I don't see him being someone we want to build the play through at all. Smith is similar in style to Heskey, gets about and will be very involved. Viduka when fully fit I reckon will gel very well with Owen too, as a bit of space to work in will benefit him immensely.

I don't agree with this Shak for a few reasons.

First of all Michael Owen has scored goals with whoever he's been partnered with, he got something like 7 goals in 10 games while being partnered with Shearer, he also had the best goals to minutes played ratio while playing in Madrid next to Ronaldo so it's fair to say he can score playing with any type of partner, he's also scored goals in the past while being partnered with Fowler and Anelka.

What he does need however is to have pace in the side to make space for him, whether that's coming from the wings or midfield or wherever, having players that can stretch play and pull defenders out of position will give Owen the chance to find space in the box and be a bigger threat for us.

Heskey has been a good partner for Owen, mainly because of the amount of time they've played together rather than them being ideally suited for each other, I don't think it's as simple as saying Smith is similar to Heskey so he'll be a good partner too though, especially as their record of playing together for England is hardly glowing.

How many times has Owen played up front with Smith for England? That is what you mean, isn't it?

5 times I believe.

They may be able to form a good partnership given time but as I've pointed out, Owen is capable of scoring goals next to whoever he plays with.

Gah! :lol:

I agree witih Shak aswell, just for the record. But what you're outlining there Shak is my idea of the long-term formula. Short-term, Owen and Martins should be tried out against Derby imo. :D

If FS has ideas of pairing Owen with Martins I'd sooner he did it in training or in practice matches rather than when there are 3 points at stake. Should just go with whatever is thought to be your best team, really. For me that is still one from Owen/Martins plus one from Smith/Viduka.

Would you agree that, at the moment, the two best performing strikers are Owen and Martins? They haven't been paired together so we don't know whether they'll be good/shit/whatever, but it's worth finding out given how well they're playing and given the opposition's defense.

It just brings me back to the team game thing. You can't always pick the players reckoned to be your best players. It's like Gerrard and Lampard being *supposedly* England's best two midfielders yet the team looks crap when they're together.

Not that I ever rated Parker, but it was clear for ages that the Parker/Emre partnership was holding us back, the manager stuck with it and we went backwards. Getting the right blend is very important.

There was a time when I thought maybe Martins could partner Owen but I'm not sure now to the point I lean toward the thought that they won't be that effective together. Now that we have alternatives in pairing either with Smith or Viduka that's the way I'd go whenever there is a choice.

Gah! :lol:

I agree witih Shak aswell, just for the record. But what you're outlining there Shak is my idea of the long-term formula. Short-term, Owen and Martins should be tried out against Derby imo. :D

If FS has ideas of pairing Owen with Martins I'd sooner he did it in training or in practice matches rather than when there are 3 points at stake. Should just go with whatever is thought to be your best team, really. For me that is still one from Owen/Martins plus one from Smith/Viduka.

Would you agree that, at the moment, the two best performing strikers are Owen and Martins? They haven't been paired together so we don't know whether they'll be good/shit/whatever, but it's worth finding out given how well they're playing and given the opposition's defense.

It just brings me back to the team game thing. You can't always pick the players reckoned to be your best players. It's like Gerrard and Lampard being *supposedly* England's best two midfielders yet the team looks crap when they're together.

I knew you were going to say something like that. ;)

But Gerrard/Lampard has been tested hundreds of times and never worked. Martins/Owen has been tried two or three times... who are we to write off two quality players like that? Viduka isn't playing well at the moment (Smith doesn't come into the equation i don't think), and would make an excellent impact sub if he was initially benched. I personally think it's in Viduka's best interests that we ease him back into the side anyway...

Martins/Owen v Derby ftw. :D

Harper

Beye Rozhenal Cacapa Enrique

Geremi N'zogbia Butt Milner

Viduka Owen

The midfield..  :kasper:

What about it?

Milner Geremi Butt N'zogbia

Would be more effective.

didnt N'zogbia play CM against Juve? We need a creative spark in the center of the park.

We've scored 5 in 2 away games with Geremi and Butt as CM partnership.

Suppose anything is possible, but I'll be mighty shocked if they were to ever form a good partnership.

Owen has always been best with a striker partner who will do the bulk of the work in general play, allowing Owen to contribute sparsely in terms of active build up play and play on the shoulder of the last defender, always threatening to get in behind. He then comes into his element in the box, where he's as good as anyone.

Heskey is a good example, he's always getting about doing the bulk of the work. Rooney will be the same when they eventually get a run of games together for England, as Rooney likes to drop deep and link the play.

The threat of Owen in behind also gives his striker partner more room to play in.

I like Martins, but his play is very erratic and I don't see him being someone we want to build the play through at all. Smith is similiar in style to Heskey, gets about and will be very involved. Viduka when fully fit I reckon will gel very well with Owen too, as a bit of space to work in will benefit him immensely.

I reckon Owen-Martins partnership might work as I see Martins being the one making the crosses or creating the chances for his strike partner a la Bellamy...