Benny Benitez: Parky 6 Benny 2 (Benitez watch.). Inter sack the waiter.

Parky

This is why Rafa is a idiot you play SG in AM role or AMR & then whack in the other 10 Liverpool players. Rafa is nullifying Gerrard more than the oppo manager.

this

didnt gerrard win pfa player of the year from rw a few years back

I didn't bother watching the Liverpool match tonight. Are you seriously telling me Gerrard was employed in the defensive midfielder position?

masacherano(sp?) and lucas played...you do the math

I didn't bother watching the Liverpool match tonight. Are you seriously telling me Gerrard was employed in the defensive midfielder position?

masacherano(sp?) and lucas played...you do the math

It's hard to, though, because that implies Rafa does the sensible, logical thing.

Aquilani, Lucas, Mascherano and Gerrard were all playing; recipe for disaster.

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid: Rafael Benitez calls for major squad overhaul

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool must now turn their attention to a major rebuilding job this summer after their season was all but ended by their heartbreaking elimination by Atletico Madrid at the semi-final stage of the Europa League.

By Rory Smith

Published: 7:00AM BST 30 Apr 2010

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid: Rafael Benitez calls for major squad overhaul

Down and out: Liverpool have not been good enough this season Photo: AP

Alberto Aquilani’s second goal for the club cancelled out the Spanish side’s first-leg lead, taking the tie into extra-time, but despite extending their advantage through Yossi Benayoun, Benitez’s team could not find a third after former Manchester United forward Diego Forlan’s strike.

Though the Spaniard insisted after the game that Liverpool’s future extends no further than their two remaining Premier League games as they attempt to retain their Champions League place, he admitted the club’s squad needs a major overhaul if the disappointments of this campaign are not to be repeated.

“Two or three of the players have said we need three, four or five more,” said the Liverpool manager, “and I agree with them. The goal we conceded here sums up the season, you could say that. It has been one of those seasons where everything has gone against us, though the players could be very proud [against Atletico] because they were working so hard.

“But this season has not been good enough. Every team can have a bad season, but now we just have to finish it in the right way over the next two games and then prepare for next year.

“I do not think that going out tonight will change whether we can attract players. This is a massive club, we will try to do our best and the name of the club will still be here, and that will not change.”

The Spaniard was unable to confirm whether the funds required for that sort of investment - he has previously indicated he would need around £60 million to acquire the players he believes he needs - would be forthcoming, with Liverpool’s financial future still uncertain.

“Things have changed in the past,” he said, “and we had to be a company, to balance the books and to manage in this way. I do not know what will happen in the summer.”

Much the same could be said for his own tenure. Asked whether he could guarantee whether he would be at Anfield to spend whatever money is found with which to rebuild the squad, he simply replied: “The future is Chelsea. And after that? Hull.”

He must have failed to mention the fact that he was the one who bought all

of the dross within their squad.

but then he will mention that he has not had the money to buy anyone better.

Was he? There's an awful lot we don't know about their spending policy.

Spunked 22 million on Keane then flogged him back in jan.  wtf

He has hinted that buying Keane wasn't his idea iirc.

Guest neesy111

He has hinted that buying Keane wasn't his idea iirc.

it was rick parry's, hence why benitez wanted rid of him

He's off. And as with Keegan in 97, the principled walk-out will mysteriously coincide with the point when he's spunked all the money and is told there's nothing left.

"Always in the past two years the manager here has been taking responsibility for everything. The reality is that, if you compare with other teams in terms of money, power and the option you have in the market, so you can analyse carefully and then you have answers," said Benítez

broken record etc.

He's off. And as with Keegan in 97, the principled walk-out will mysteriously coincide with the point when he's spunked all the money and is told there's nothing left.

That was last summer...

It all depends on what happens now re the owners. If new owners come in by the summer, he might stay. If not, he's off.

Personally, I hope he stays.

That was last summer...

It all depends on what happens now re the owners. If new owners come in by the summer, he might stay. If not, he's off.

Why do you think he's still the man to take you to success? Completely honest question.

Admittedly can't think of many managerial alternatives to him.

Guest je85

That was last summer...

Out of Gerrard, Torres and Reina staying or leaving which combinations of the the three would you feel would be your best and worse case scenario?

KK left a title challengng team, saved us from relegation to the third and the cunts running the club started taking huge amounts of money out of it and then saying there was none for player transfers.

Hmmmm

Guest neesy111

liverpool have had plenty of good players under beneitez but his management of them has been ridiculous.

i'm sure they wished they had kept bellamy and crouch now