Joey Barton

Cajun

Someone with a bit of drive who will make forarwd runs from the centre is exactly what we need. Partener him with Geremi and we have a winning combo.

Fuck that. Ditch Geremi. He's shocking.

I see it as a poor mans Makalele - Lampard combo. With Geremi in the Makelele  role. Of course he's going to look shit when he's playing along side Butt andall he's got to aim at is Ameobi. he's a decent player with good ditribution. What did he do wrong?

been saying this for weeks how badly we need barton in our midfield. even went out and bought me a barton uni off ebay for god's sake. loved watching him play at city and can't wait untill he returns for us to bring something...anything..to our midfield. as for his return date i'm predicting mid october

He's not the creative player we're looking for. but still better than Smith.

At the moment I class creativity being able to pass a ball to teammate, never mind fancy bollocks like creating a goal.

:lol:

Have to agree, though.

summed our creativity up when our only player making a bursting run from deep was Rozenhal!

Aye, what I said in the post-match thread. Our most creative player on Monday was Rozenhal.

he didn't have the best of games, but he impressed me going forward.. we should use him as DM or RB

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Basically, we need to find out if Emre wants to be at our club or not.

If he does, he should be given a playmaker role.

Guest seths_breath

Even with Barton back, you know we're just a moment of madness away from a red card and being back to where we are now.

I recon we need to see Emre play in a more advanced role than we've seen him before.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Someone with a bit of drive who will make forarwd runs from the centre is exactly what we need. Partener him with Geremi and we have a winning combo.

f*** that. Ditch Geremi. He's shocking.

I see it as a poor mans Makalele - Lampard combo. With Geremi in the Makelele  role.

I'd agree with that comparison

The midfield is going to pick itself once Barton and Emre are fit and assuming Allardyce reverts back to the formation/system he prefers. It'll be:

Anchorman

Barton                                Emre

I think Butt will be phased out slowly because his distribution is just too poor, with Faye and Geremi competing for the anchor slots, and Smith and Geremi filling in or rotating with Emre/Barton at times.

Essentially, playing any of Geremi, Butt, Smith or Faye ahead of Barton or Emre in a 3 man midfield will just be a waste of a non anchor midfield spot. Those 4 players may be good players in their own right, but they simply have none of the abilities required to play in central midfield as anything but a defensive midfielder.

If its a 4-4-2 then a Barton-Geremi midfield combination looks very promising on paper.

We badly need to sign one more central midfielder who if not truly creative, then can distribute the ball with ease, maybe somoene like Motta, since as soon as Barton and Emre go missing, we're left with a squad of midfielders who can tackle but are uncomfortable passing forwards.