Look out! little mickey's back just in time for England! Will he return fit?

Guest NUFC4
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think most of us have steeled themselves with the fact that 1. Newcastle is not and will never be his first choice and 2. he will get injured consistantly

He is a professional and he will do a job for us and really that is all that matters. He can't or won't leave (unless we can get Spurs or WHam to buy him, but honestly - how many times will we be able to rip these clubs off before they get wise?)

Anyway I say 6-8 weeks. He will avoid getting cup tied which will set of an avalanche of frustration and conspiracy theories here on the N-O Board. He will just come back into the side around the christmas fixtures and probably pull off his first start for the New Years day game (he's not much of a drinker you know...).  That will be enough for him to get selected for the next round of qualifiers. That will also kick off the next round of paper talk during the January window where he will say nowt until February 2nd when he'll come out and say "I never wanted to leave..." etc. And he'll go onto to start around six games in the rest of the season and bag an additional 4 goals for us. He'll have a few niggles which will end up with him sitting out all of April. Season wise we're looking at 15 starts and 7-9 goals.

30 league games left.......................out on a linb i think we'll get 22+ out of him

Madras has been drinking tonight folks... nothing to see here.

all right then "limb"

i'm typing with a cold

MICHAEL OWEN has told his Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce: Don’t tell me when I can play for England.

The Toon striker, 27, insists he will only listen to German surgeon Dr Ulrike Muschaweck who operated on his groin.

And in another stinging rebuke to the Geordies’ gaffer, Owen declared Allardyce got it wrong about when he got crocked. Allardyce claimed Owen picked it up playing for England last month — but the hitman insists he had it before then.

He said: “I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

Owen scored on his Toon return in the 3-2 win over Everton on Sunday just eight days after under-going surgery in Munich.

And he added: “I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

Now the ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid star has declared himself fit for the looming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia and Russia.

But Big Sam has warned England boss Steve McClaren not to send his star back to St James’ injured again next week.

Upbeat Owen, though, cannot believe how well the surgery has gone.

He revealed: “It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

He can be as pissed off as he wants for £100k a week, we give our honest opinions on him when we feel like it, it's our prerogative as supporters.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I hope he stays fit from now, I'm glad he's here - except I hope he doesn't keep Martins out of the team, a fit and confident Martins will be better for us in the long run! (Imagine how good Martins would be for Arsenal, we're wasting him imo).

Anyway I voted 6-8 weeks, but I think it should go by the number of games, I think he will be injured again within 5 games. :p

If Arsenal had wanted Martins, they would have bought him - they didn't.

I don't care one bit if Owen DOES keep Martins out of the team ; it would mean he was fit, and a fit Owen is 3 times the player that Martins is, or will ever be ; he's 22(or is it 23 or even 28.!)and if he hasn't got decent first touch now, he never will have.

I would be interested to hear your decision if asked to select from EITHER a fit Owen or Martins to play in our last 3 games if we needed , say, 7 points to avoid relegation OR qualify for Europe.....

Guest battyleespeed

MICHAEL OWEN has told his Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce: Don’t tell me when I can play for England.

The Toon striker, 27, insists he will only listen to German surgeon Dr Ulrike Muschaweck who operated on his groin.

And in another stinging rebuke to the Geordies’ gaffer, Owen declared Allardyce got it wrong about when he got crocked. Allardyce claimed Owen picked it up playing for England last month — but the hitman insists he had it before then.

He said: “I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

Owen scored on his Toon return in the 3-2 win over Everton on Sunday just eight days after under-going surgery in Munich.

And he added: “I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

Now the ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid star has declared himself fit for the looming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia and Russia.

But Big Sam has warned England boss Steve McClaren not to send his star back to St James’ injured again next week.

Upbeat Owen, though, cannot believe how well the surgery has gone.

He revealed: “It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

From non-British point of view if he was carrying injury and in that much pain would it had not been wiser to rest or get operation to get the injury sorted out  than to go with England team and play two international matches? Also why Allardyce didn't get the injury sorted out properly until now? He doesn't seem like manager who takes risks with injuries.

He can be as pissed off as he wants for £100k a week, we give our honest opinions on him when we feel like it, it's our prerogative as supporters.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and I hope he stays fit from now, I'm glad he's here - except I hope he doesn't keep Martins out of the team, a fit and confident Martins will be better for us in the long run! (Imagine how good Martins would be for Arsenal, we're wasting him imo).

Anyway I voted 6-8 weeks, but I think it should go by the number of games, I think he will be injured again within 5 games. :p

I don't care one bit if Owen DOES keep Martins out of the team ; it would mean he was fit, and a fit Owen is 3 times the player that Martins is, or will ever be ; he's 22(or is it 23 or even 28.!)and if he hasn't got decent first touch now, he never will have.

I would be interested to hear your decision if asked to select from EITHER a fit Owen or Martins to play in our last 3 games if we needed , say, 7 points to avoid relegation OR qualify for Europe.....

Martins didn't go to Arsenal? Maybe that is because of the value we put on him, there could be a number of reasons for it, maybe it's not just a matter of "he's not good enough".

Please don't talk about how Owen is 3 times the player Martins ever will be, no one on this board has a crystal ball; apart from me - I only stated what I thought though, you're conveying opinion as facts; that thing about the first touch, I think that is silly - give the lad a string of starts in the team and his confidence will be back in no time (Yes, I do believe confidence is a very important factor).

You're right though, at the moment I would definitely prefer a fully fit Owen over Martins, simple becuse Owen has more experience and can operate better under pressure, things which can be fixed for Martins too, in time. Idealy I'd like to see both strikers playing, be it together on the pitch or rotated every now and then.

Anyway mate, I'm not anti-Owen or anything, I am genuinely glad he is here, and I hope he can stay injury free and play for us regularly. All I mean is that I think Martins isn't showing his true form at the moment and it would be a shame to lose him.

Owen seems to be getting prickly for no reason. On Sunday he seemed a bit miffed that the fans booed the decision to take Martins off, and now he's taking exception to Sam's perfectly reasonable concerns about Owen playing two games in 4 days.

I can never believe the sun.  They rehash the interview with Owen in which he is basically trying to say if the surgeon says I'm fit I'll play, I'll play.  Fair enough if you ask me.  I can't remember Sam coming out and saying I don't want him to play.  All he has said is if he's not 100% don't take the risk.  Both Owen and Sam have fair points.  The Sun are just like school kids. 

Mr Allardyce do you know what Michaels been saying about you.  He told you to Shut the f*** up.

Michael have you heard Mr Allardyce has been saying you have to do whatever he says because you are his personal slave.

Guest iliketoonarmy

shut up lar sohai.

It's blatantly that interview of MOTD they are referring to.  They are so stupid to think we can't see through it but most football fans don't read the sun anymore because its filled with so much tripe.

Aye, lifted straight from the post-match interview.

Didnt Sam say before the Everton game that if Owen plays a part on the game then it means he is fit and can play for England.

He played so he is fine for England. Whats Owens problem? Surely he can understand Sam's responsibility to look after the clubs best striker

The media are currently in overdrive relating to England stories, what with the next two fixtures pretty much deciding whether or not we qualify.

We clearly have a massive striker crisis with Rooney, Owen and Crouch all fit.

Scaremongering sells papers, and this is just another scare.

To be honest, I can see where Allardyce is coming from. A squad made up of the collective Englishmen at Derby, Bolton, Sunderland and Birmingham should see off Estonia if well managed. A crouch-Rooney partnership should be enough for England, keeping Owen aside for the more challenging Russia game.