Martins: I can't let Shearer down

Dokko

If Martins was starting every game and missing opportunities then i could understand SA throwing down a challenge to him.

Current situation, SA is to blame as much as anyone for him missing shots.

Allardyce is responsible for him missing open nets against West Ham and Arsenal? ???

Confidence players don't do so well playing football from the bench.

If Martins was starting every game and missing opportunities then i could understand SA throwing down a challenge to him.

Allardyce is responsible for him missing open nets against West Ham and Arsenal? ???

Fair comment, and I'd be playing him myself. But he didn't need confidence to put those away, just some composure.

I wondered why me sister texted me saying she'd just saw Martins bag packing, I thought she was just commenting on a generic Asda bag packer who looked like Oba.  :idiot2:

He's our most dangerous front man I feel, there's no doubt about it, look at his goals assists etc this season when he hasn't had a lot of playing time, being played out of position etc

With Owen you have to build the team around  him, whereas Oba creates a lot of his own chances by way of his physical prowess, Oba for king.  :shifty:

Fair comment, and I'd be playing him myself. But he didn't need confidence to put those away, just some composure.

Probably, but you can also say he was snatching at his chances as he felt he needed to impress to stay in the team. His composure comes with his confidence, unfortunately some players are like that. He doesn't have the arrogance of say someone like Shearer, who's shoulders were so broad it makes you think how special he was.

Got the love the guy.

Still can't get over how he didnt hit the target with that shot against City in the second half. Anyway nowhere as frustrating as another Nigerian born striker of ours.

Martins should be scoring more but half the chances he gets he's created for himself in the first place anyway, Owen's missed a few chances so far this season too but his get overlooked, 2 one on one's against Wigan spring to mind.

Martins should be scoring more but half the chances he gets he's created for himself in the first place anyway, Owen's missed a few chances so far this season too but his get overlooked, 2 one on one's against Wigan spring to mind.

an open goal is an open goal regardless of how it came about. it's abit pointless taking on the entire oppsition,balancing the ball on your scrotum whislt performing open heart surgery on the linesman if you don't put the ball over the line.

it's as easy to say owen created his by being in the right place.

But Owen didn't score his chances did he, the first he had to shoot early because he doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders anymore and the second he tried to lob the keeper and put it 5 yards over the bar.

But Owen didn't score his chances did he, the first he had to shoot early because he doesn't have the pace to get away from defenders anymore and the second he tried to lob the keeper and put it 5 yards over the bar.

And he said it was rubbish and he should have scored

What's the general opinion of the chances of him being sold in January? I've held off buying a replica shirt this season because I'm usually not keen on getting names on the back of them, but I really want to get one now and I'd choose Martins as my first option. Bit of a downer if he's shipped out in January though  :undecided:

I think his goals against Barnsley and City in-particular show how much he has actually come on this season. Add to that his assist for Owen's goal against Wigan, and you can see that there's evidence of his improvement. The touch and movement for the those two goals were impeccable (the Barnsley one fortuitous admittedly), with the obviously superb finishes. He took those goals like a clinical, out-and-out, top class striker, which - in spite of the fact he scored a lot - he didn't look like last season.

His general play has improved too. One of the most pleasing things that i've noticed this season, is that he's actually utilising his pace, and that's how he's created his own chances; we have a lot to thank Sam for there.

It's fantastic to see him genuinely improving on his faults, when a lot of people said that he wouldn't. Yeah, he's still erratic at times, but expereince and confidence (he's still a confidence player, i reckon) will help rectify those anomilies.

He's just mint.

Well as long as he continues to perform his best and keep scoring goals,nobody will be disappointed with him and I think Big Al is a forgiving person.

:lol:

I missed that. Fantastic :lol:

Sam is doing the perfect thing here. He's pushing Martins to be better, and by the way Martins has taken it you can tell it's been said to him in a positive way to motivate him. Martins right now is a really good player, but with a bit more patience and composure he could be great.

Definitely a good move by Sam :clap:

Great attitude from Martins  :thup:

Sam is doing the perfect thing here. He's pushing Martins to be better, and by the way Martins has taken it you can tell it's been said to him in a positive way to motivate him. Martins right now is a really good player, but with a bit more patience and composure he could be great.

Definitely a good move by Sam :clap:

Great attitude from Martins  :thup:

Now all we need is Sam to push  a barely fit Owen onto the bench while Martins is fit and firing. Competition works both ways usually.

Think Sam will ever take the hint that we want to see Owen and Martins up top together? I bet Oba or Owen thought those boo's were about them yesterday, it was canny loud like though the boo's at the decision to take oba off for Owen.

This no first touch thing is daft though, he has showed he can show great skill and first touch, like his goal against City but he just needs to calm down a bit infront of goal and he will start scoring plenty more.

Oba got two goals for Nigeria last night in away to Mexico.

Aye, but did you see who was waiting for him after the match?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7863/240pxeuphemioyemilianozxk0.jpg

Terry Mac ?

:D