Alan Smith

Dave

If anyone isnt pulling their weight in any way, its most likely Owen, who has done practically nothing for several games now.

I think that's a very easy thing to say, but total rubbish.  Yes, he's done nothing effective, because he's been given nothing.  But today, when the team were giving up, he was back in midfield, moving, getting the ball, at least trying to make something happen.

If anyone isnt pulling their weight in any way, its most likely Owen, who has done practically nothing for several games now.

Owen was one of the few people today trying to the end,

I think that's a very easy thing to say, but total rubbish.  Yes, he's done nothing effective, because he's been given nothing.  But today, when the team were giving up, he was back in midfield, moving, getting the ball, at least trying to make something happen.

Absolutely woeful today. God help us if Viduka is not fit next weekend.

isn't viduka inviting the long ball?

If he is then the manager is at fault. With the ball at his feet, Viduka is the most talented member of our squad by an absolute mile. He's not the one saying "lump it lads!".

Absolutely woeful today. God help us if Viduka is not fit next weekend.

isn't viduka inviting the long ball?

If he is then the manager is at fault. With the ball at his feet, Viduka is the most talented member of our squad by an absolute mile. He's not the one saying "lump it lads!".

put it to his chest aswell as his feet, just dont aim the ball at his head when he's outside the box

We need Viduka next weekend so badly.

good point but i have one correction to make. we need viduka to be fit for the rest of the season to be successful playing this long ball rubbish, or at least until january when we ship ameobi and get a decent back up target man.  this was only the third time i've been able to watch us this season and i was astonished at the lack of a midfield presence we had.  our only hope to score is to hooove the ball up field or get on the end of crosses and that's where viduka comes in. we totally lack any penetration or link from the midfield.  i thought n'zoggy was our only attacking threat, butt was good at times, barton wasn't bad but certainly wasn't good enough and disappeared at times, and milner was junk couldn't get past glen johnson with any of his silly little tricks. big sam hit it on the head for me after the game by saying what i was thinking about 20 min into the game that our team lacked any shape or discipline and that we weren't playing for each other.

Alan Smith is overrated.

Hes invisible in most matches and doesnt contribute s*** to the team.

We should sign a decent AMC in january and Barca will be selling eidur gudjohnsen which would do a 5x better job then Smith.

Overrated? I don't rate him one bit.

:lol: good point, who rates him?

The forum resident chuckle brothers that are {no name mentioned}

but I thought you said all we needed was 2 decent defenders and we would be a sooper dooper top team ?

Clearly, the air in smoggieland isn't that clear .....  :lol:

I thought we were supposed to be a better team with Smith up front as he can hold the ball up which would put less pressure on our defence?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't blame him for 'not holding the ball up' today. He didn't have the ball.

He had a crap game, because he did nothing and made no effort to do anything (ie, come deep, retrieve the ball, make runs into the box) - but in terms of holding up, he had nowt to hold up. We drifted in and out of long ball but i don't think a pass was ever once targeted at his head or feet with his back to goal. The long balls (usually from Enrique) were normally diagonal, to Milner or Barton or whoever.

is the correct answer.

We lack creativity and pace in midfield, the new defenders have not made much difference at all, just as I said. [.....waiting to be accused of point scoring ........ ].

Also, Taylor and Rozenhal are our 2 best centre backs, which I also said a while ago.

There was so little movement in midfield it was scary. Lost count of the number of times Enrique had the ball and literally had nobody to pass to. Hence hoof.

The little movement is also the reason that Harper takes an eternity to play the ball, he's looking for people making space but they're not doing it.  I usually sit to the side of the goal but have noticed when behind the goal that he's looking all over for movement which isn't happening.

He was so bad today people in the Gallowgate were laughing at his dismal efforts.

Newcastle fans laughing at their own players ? Nobody near me did that, or ever has for that matter.