Worst signing of the Summer?

Dr Spectrum

Darren Bent - £17m spent on a 4th choice striker who can't get a kick, with other glaring holes in the side overlooked. Bizarre on the face of it, but possibly evidence of the failings of the director of football system when the boss signs someone the manager doesnt want.

Anderson - Another £17m - made about as much impact as a fart on a landfill. Looks a bit shite.

Kieron Dyer - Not including him just cos he's got injured again - that was no-one's fault. Just that they were willing to get swindled out of an extra million or so. And for what.

Alan Smith - £6m spent on awful midfielder cum 4th choice striker(?). Another bizarre signing. Possibly more baffling than the Bent eal considering theres no director of football pulling the strings in the transfer market up there.

Yakubu - Competent player but looks totally unsuited to the Moyes' ways to the suprise of nobody.

David Nugent - £6m. Possibly the worst player on this list that cost any serious amount of moneys...but they don't seem to be affected considering the form of others.

Greg Halford - Warning signs were there after the "impact" he made at Reading. Whoops.

Gerald Cid - Free transfer, but still....absolutely god awful.

Or Someone else - Harewood, Davies, Prince-Boateng...Nani :shifty:

What do you all think.

i think  it has to be Bent for the transfer fee alone.

Anderson was injured early on i believe and is just starting to get in the team.

Smith has shown he can compete for a place up front, where he really wants to play.

Parker/Dyer both potentially horror buys, more so Dyer though.

A handful of the Mackem buys could be up there. Halford, Kenwen Jones, Richardson - all big money for average players.

Said it on deadline day - Craig Gordan at £10m.

Looks a top top drawer goal keeper, but he isn't going to win Sunderland many points as the rest of the team is soooo average (at best). Would have been better off spending 2-3 mill on a competent keeper and the remaining 7-8 mil on someone who will put the ball in the net or who will dominate the back 4.

Now had he gone to Arsenal I would be saying he could be the difference between winning the league/ Champs league or not

Darren Bent - £17m spent on a 4th choice striker who can't get a kick, with other glaring holes in the side overlooked. Bizarre on the face of it, but possibly evidence of the failings of the director of football system when the boss signs someone the manager doesnt want.

Anderson - Another £17m - made about as much impact as a fart on a landfill. Looks a bit shite.

Kieron Dyer - Not including him just cos he's got injured again - that was no-one's fault. Just that they were willing to get swindled out of an extra million or so. And for what.

Alan Smith - £6m spent on awful midfielder cum 4th choice striker(?). Another bizarre signing. Possibly more baffling than the Bent eal considering theres no director of football pulling the strings in the transfer market up there.

Yakubu - Competent player but looks totally unsuited to the Moyes' ways to the suprise of nobody.

David Nugent - £6m. Possibly the worst player on this list that cost any serious amount of moneys...but they don't seem to be affected considering the form of others.

Greg Halford - Warning signs were there after the "impact" he made at Reading. Whoops.

What do you all think.

Good post Doc.

Not jumping on the defensive here, or responding just cos he plays for us but I reckon Smith, at £6m, is a useful asset.

Granted, he's not the best forward in the world and we could do without him in midfield at the minute but for the price we paid, given he's an England Squad regular, not too old, very professional by all accounts doesn't represent bad business imo.

By that I mean, if we sold him in Jan we'd not lose much on him and moreover he could become a really useful asset, given his ability to play anywhere across the front 6 from mid to fwd and not let you down.

I know he's taken some stick on here, and some of it rightly so, but as an asset I don't think it'd be fair to label him a flop and I still don't think Big Sams settled on a system yet - he may have bought him with a new formation in mind?

In some respects people might liken his buy to that of Duff last year (i.e: a good player becomes available so lets buy him and worry about fucking off the Zog/others later, lets just make sure nobody else gets him) but I think we'll see more from him in the future.

Anyhoo, Keiron Richardson - anyone?

I don't agree with Anderson. He is clearly a player for the future, and not a player ment to blossom this season.

Agree. He was showing signs of what he can do against Wigan, he's not a Ronaldinho type player but he can pick out a killer pass like Scholes and he's got the pace and dribbling skills to beat people like Giggs in his prime.

Kieron Dyer is the worst- 8 million for a overrated crock.

Bent at £17m. Only an English club would have paid it - about £10m over-priced I'd say which makes him the worst buy by a country mile.

Smith wasn't someone I wanted here, but he's done ok, and in the few chances he's had to play up front he's done well. Good squad player in my book, and offers a necessary alternative to Viduka so you can stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

:coolsmiley:

Re: Anderson.

This was the comment in the Manchester United Evening News after the Coventry game.

"Anderson: Even at this level, the Brazilian continues to disappoint

4/10 "

I'd expect far more than what he has delivered so far for £17m. He's never in a million years worth that much.

By that I mean, if we sold him in Jan we'd not lose much on him and moreover he could become a really useful asset, given his ability to play anywhere across the front 6 from mid to fwd and not let you down.

I disagree with that. I think he's an awful midfielder who has absolutely no idea what to do in that position - other than foul people. As a forward I think he's passible at best and IMO wouldn't get in the 16 if Owen, Martins and Viduka are fit.

Plus he looks like a peanut.

Darren Bent has to be the worst surely, and the most baffling. Not just that he's come in for a massive fee and done nothing, but when you consider the opportunity cost. They already had Berbatov, Keane and Defoe, something most teams in the league would be jealous of, yet their midfield of Zokora and Jenas needed improvement, as did other areas (left wing, defence, goalkeeper). But no, they spunked it all on a forward they didn't need. £17m! I think that could go down not just as one of the worst of this season, but one of the most needless signings and biggest waste of money the Premiership has seen.

Darren Bent has to be the worst surely, and the most baffling. Not just that he's come in for a massive fee and done nothing, but when you consider the opportunity cost. They already had Berbatov, Keane and Defoe, something most teams in the league would be jealous of, yet their midfield of Zokora and Jenas needed improvement, as did other areas (left wing, defence, goalkeeper). But no, they spunked it all on a forward they didn't need. £17m! I think that could go down not just as one of the worst of this season, but one of the most needless signings and biggest waste of money the Premiership has seen.

Uh huh.

The only thing that could make that deal seem sensible would be that if Jol goes, and the director of football gets them to hire a like-minded replacement, he might fancy him and it could all turn out rosey. But at the moment...whoops.

They signed Bale to play down the left who's looked top class, Kaboul looks do excellent prospect at the back and Boateng is supposed to be another highly rated youngster too so it's wrong to say they blew all their money on Bent, they should have signed a keeper though.

Think this thread also has to consider potential re-sale value. Many of the people mentioned (Smith, Gordon, Yakubu and maybe Bent to an extent) would re-pay their fees or at least a large chunks if they were sold at the end of the season.

They signed Bale to play down the left who's looked top class, Kaboul looks do excellent prospect at the back and Boateng is supposed to be another highly rated youngster too so it's wrong to say they blew all their money on Bent, they should have signed a keeper though.

Fair enough about Bale, when they signed him I didn't know he would be playing left wing.

Think how far that money could have gone in other areas of the team though. Up front was arguably where they were already strongest. It's not like we're all talking with the benefit of hindsight either, the signing seemed mad at the time and still does.

I think collectively (and I'm not just saying it because it's them) the Mackems had the worst dealings in the summer. £35m and not a single good outfield player amongst that lot.

Guest kingdawson

Anderson - Another £17m - made about as much impact as a fart on a landfill. Looks a bit s****.

What do you all think.

ummmm Bent was a Jol signing tbh. As Baggio said, weve signed players for the positions we were weak on but we sure as hell should have signed a goalkeeper and a centre midfielder. Think Bent will come good in time but definatly spent about £4-5 milllion to much.

No way is Smith the worst buy of the summer.

Imo Bent at £16m is, Not just because of the price but because Spurs didnt really need him.

Harewood has to be up there with the worst buys

Agreed. Smith had a canny game for us on Sunday in his preffered position, linked the attack and the midfield well, very good passing, committed as ever in the challenge! He's been up and down in midfield, poor against Man City though i thought.

He's had some other not good games too Derby on the RW springs to mind, but is it his fault he's played out of position though and still does his best? important squad member imo and i'd like to see alot more of him up front this season.

Although I definitely think the Smith money could have been spent better I don't think he is one of the worst.

Bouazza at £3.5m or whatever it was would have made a lot more sense though!

Yeh to be fair, i kinda agree that Smith is a decent buy, i know 6 mill is a fair bit of wonga, but would you rather we had two player one who is a 3 mill verstalie midfielder and one 3 mill 4th striker, or Smith who is a pretty good striker and a decent midfilder. I knw i'd prefer Smith.