Premierships over-rated players

Guest kingdawson

Guest eyeball_tickler

Name a consistently better attacking midfielder this league's ever seen..

you're missing my point. he's not as good now as he was.

You can say that about most players as they reach their early 30's though surely?

yeah, but not many players have the reputation scholes has.

Yes, but do people generally believe he's as good now as he used to be?

I don't think so.

No way he's over-rated at all, still absolute quality tbh.

from the looks of this thread, yes, they do.

Guest elbee909

all this praise and nobody has said why he's so good. he only passes to the nearest player and doesnt shoot, cant tackle and ive rarely seen him head a ball. he might not be over rated so much, but he's definitely a shadow of the player he was.

if he played for bolton, he'd be knackered, basically.

Didn't he outscore Dyer at St. James' in a certain season?  Can't shoot, I've heard it all now - he's scored some excellent goals from outside of the box, proper belters.

He's obviously on the downward spiral but bloody hell, popping up to slag him off now seems churlish.

DOESNT shoot. not cant. he rarely shoots these days.

and my point is, he's far from the player he used to be and is lucky he's in such a good team.

He's not quite as barn-storming as he was, his game is a bit more reserved.  But if Ferguson didn't think he had a purpose he'd get rid - he did it with Keane and he would with Scholes, so he's doing some stuff right.  You don't get to be playing regularly in a title-winning team otherwise.

Guest eyeball_tickler

all this praise and nobody has said why he's so good. he only passes to the nearest player and doesnt shoot, cant tackle and ive rarely seen him head a ball. he might not be over rated so much, but he's definitely a shadow of the player he was.

Didn't he outscore Dyer at St. James' in a certain season?  Can't shoot, I've heard it all now - he's scored some excellent goals from outside of the box, proper belters.

He's obviously on the downward spiral but bloody hell, popping up to slag him off now seems churlish.

and my point is, he's far from the player he used to be and is lucky he's in such a good team.

He's not quite as barn-storming as he was, his game is a bit more reserved.  But if Ferguson didn't think he had a purpose he'd get rid - he did it with Keane and he would with Scholes, so he's doing some stuff right.  You don't get to be playing regularly in a title-winning team otherwise.

it wasnt just the playing side with keane. the infamous MUTV interview was the final nail for him. he sold staam and beckham regardless of their footballing talent.

and we both know that it is possible to play regularly in a title winning team and be shit.

Very good point about Keane, you can add Cole, Yorke, Stam and Beckham to that list.  Not that they were finished, just they no longer served a purpose

Scholes is still a class player, in the Premiership anyway, and imo easily the best English central midfielder currently playing the game. He posseses good technical ability, and as a result is good at turning sharply and passing smartly whilst being comfortable in possession. He also has the intelligence and the ability to exploit space and create openings. Rarely loses possession, whilst he can play a killer pass or good through ball to add to the mix, and to top if all off, hes consistent, unlike plenty of other playmakers or attacking midfielders.

Hes almost like a Premiership version of Deco. Take Deco, reduce some of the flair, trickery and skill, increase the work rate, aggression and consistency, and you have Scholes. Its amusing how these two players can quite often be considered overrated, yet are the silent heartbeats of arguably the two best footballing sides in Europe.

• 1 year later...

Yes this was special too. Think i made a couple of silly choices but most were spot on.

Bar Frank Lampard (fantastic player) and John Carew (done a lot better than I thought he would) I'd agree with most of your choices.

Petr Cech. Javier Mascherano. Joleon Lescott (insofar as he's not the key to Everton's team in the way that most neutrals seem to think). He's not rated on this board, but Nicky Butt is criminally overrated in places.

Guest BigTrev

John Obi Mikel is the most over-rated.

The thing is all of the overrated players would walk staight into our first team and make us 100 times better

If you're talking overrated players at Chelsea, the answer has to be John Terry. Very Brave. Very Strong. Very Mistake Prone. Very Slow.

Very true.

Overated:

1. Nani (overated by Manyoo Portugal Staff)/diabolical player

2. Berbatov (30 m Nee-Way).. slow, never clinical enough, moody player.

3. Mascherano (Bookings, Stupid Temperamental, His Passing 75% abysmal, Misses tackle awful lot)... averange just averange player.. not world-class/above average DM he is rated with.

If you're talking overrated players at Chelsea, the answer has to be John Terry. Very Brave. Very Strong. Very Mistake Prone. Very Slow.

Granted his form has dipped this season, but prior to that he was absolutely immense for Chelsea. A phenomenal centreback in the Premiership who if anything is underrated becasue he's not done as well on the international and European stage, where he seems to be more vulnerable against a combination of a slower style of play/buildup and nippy, skillful, intelligent footballers.

In the Premiership though, although he's slow, he positions himself exceptionally well to compensate, added to which his anticipation is top rate. He frequently seems to be a magnet for balls and crosses into the box. There are different types of defenders in the game, I would say Terry is probably the best "beast" class centreback in the Premiership, alongside Vidic.

Granted his form has dipped this season, but prior to that he was absolutely immense for Chelsea. A phenomenal centreback in the Premiership who if anything is underrated becasue he's not done as well on the international and European stage, where he seems to be more vulnerable against a combination of a slower style of play/buildup and nippy, skillful, intelligent footballers.

In the Premiership though, although he's slow, he positions himself exceptionally well to compensate, added to which his anticipation is top rate. He frequently seems to be a magnet for balls and crosses into the box. There are different types of defenders in the game, I would say Terry is probably the best "beast" class centreback in the Premiership, alongside Vidic.

Don't get me wrong, Terry is a good player, and as you say is very physically dominant. But I just don't think he is even the best centreback at his club never mind in the world (as some people make it out to be). I would say that he has also shown a decline over the past two seasons. His lack of pace, and/or ability to read skillful players seems to be exploited alot more often recently.