Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

Very impressed by Enrique today, looks like he's got the makings of a top full back.

The Cacapa-Faye partnership deserves to stay on today's evidence.

As for up front, I think we won in spite of the Owen-Martins combo today in all honesty.

Very impressed by Enrique today, looks like he's got the makings of a top full back.

As for up front, I think we won in spite of the Owen-Martins combo today in all honesty.

Yeah, I kind of agree with you about the Owen-Martins combo to an extent. I think that Viduka-Owen or even Viduka-Martins is a better choice. But, with that being said, the team played cohesively today, and I'm not sure that anybody had a bad performance - at least compared to the performances we had last year.

Did anyone else think that Roz looked decent as a defensive midfielder?  I thought he was really active in that position, better than Geremi has been but not as good as Butt.  Martins is such an exciting player, I think the battle for the 2nd striker position should be between Owen and Viduka at this point.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Did you see Ashley after Kaboul nearly hit it out of the stadium. Giving it the 'weeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeee' with his arms out. Kemsley on his right looked gutted in his spurs shirt.

Mike Ashley is chavtastic!

Good result.  We are still finding our feet under Big Sam - lets not forget that.

It was good to see us back playing 4-4-2 - we looked better than when we are 4-3-3.

The defense looked very good although their goal was a bit soft although a good header from Bender.

Overall - very happy. 

Not having a go but if only our home crowd would get back to good old days and make some fookin noise - for the WHOLE game, I think we would damage teams alot more and it would really boost the players.  When you are playing a team like Tottenham that are shot of condidence, a hostile and noisey crowd is like having an 12th man.  If only people would realise that.

Guest Ridzuan

Did you see Ashley after Kaboul nearly hit it out of the stadium. Giving it the 'weeeeeeeeheeeeeeeeeeee' with his arms out. Kemsley on his right looked gutted in his spurs shirt.

Mike Ashley is chavtastic!

Yup I saw that too.It was really funny! Hes a great guy to be around with Im sure.

Guest jimmy1982

Great result and great performance apart from a soft goal conceded that I'm sure Sam will be giving them a proper telling about this morning.

We played a fair few long balls but thats because we realised early on that Spurs were brittle as anything at the back. No point trying to pass it round a team if all you have to do is bomb them with balls over the top.

Guest Bramble OG

1st time ive seen spurs live this season, and i dont think ive ever seen a team lose the ball in defence so many times, There defence was awful, i honestly think putting Bramble and Ramage in it could have improved it.

Spurs were very poor. Their supporters really do live in cloud cuckoo land if they truly do believe that are set to challenge Arsenal.

Nelson Muntz moment for Martin Jol. The manager and the bloke off here who claims to be ITK.

We've all seen how good Cacapa, Faye and Roz have been, but today was the first time that Enrique, imo the best prospect out of our new players, showed that he's very solid. His positioning defensively was very very good. Marked Malbranque out of the game (one quote from a Spurs fan 'was he [Malbranque] even playing?'). He's got some meat yet at the same time is quite agile and pacey. Looks very good. His attacking game is also quite good, passes don't seem to go too astray too often, and also has a good cross. The best thing is that he seems to be a complete fullback, not like Olly Bernard who was only good going forward. Just looks like someone who will only grow and get better with every game, especially if he gets a continued run in the team with Zoggy in front of him. Our left side is fannnnnnnnntastic :D

Guest Guinness

I was pleased with the performance and result yesterday. In the first half we dominated without ever really getting going, Martins' goal came at the right time going into half time. We started well in the second half and deserved the 2-0 lead, they got back into it for a spell after Keane's goal, but as soon as Milner scored the game was over. I was impressed with the back line, it's only the second time they've played together and I think Faye and Cacapa look good together in central defence.

Hopefully we can now start winning on the road starting at Reading.

We've all seen how good Cacapa, Faye and Roz have been, but today was the first time that Enrique, imo the best prospect out of our new players, showed that he's very solid. His positioning defensively was very very good. Marked Malbranque out of the game (one quote from a Spurs fan 'was he [Malbranque] even playing?'). He's got some meat yet at the same time is quite agile and pacey. Looks very good. His attacking game is also quite good, passes don't seem to go too astray too often, and also has a good cross. The best thing is that he seems to be a complete fullback, not like Olly Bernard who was only good going forward. Just looks like someone who will only grow and get better with every game, especially if he gets a continued run in the team with Zoggy in front of him. Our left side is fannnnnnnnntastic :D

Our left side does look pretty good, although I can see why Allardyce took N'Zogbia off yesterday because although he was playing quite well going forward, he wasnt providing any protection to Enrique which meant a lot of the time he had no choice but to play the ball long up to Martins. Im sure it will start to work in time but I think its something that they will work on.

thought all the back 4 were solid last night with particular praise for Cacapa and Faye.

Enrique lookslike with a few games he will be a very good player.

Butt was superb tonight, playing full of confidence.

Seems to be a good team spirit amongst the players - everyone goes to celebrate and congratulate each other rather than just a couple of them. Everyone seems to get stuck in these days n all.

Better to come i can only hope, especially if we can start picking up more points away from home.

A point on the race for Europe......

Over the last 3 seasons the lowest UEFA cup entrant (excluding West Ham in 05/06 - got in due to being in the cup final) has accumulated 56 points, 63 points and 55 points (working backwards in years).

Based on current points/games we would need to accumulate another 39, 46 or 38 points (or 1.3, 1.6, 1.3 points per game)

Spurs on the other hand would need 49, 56, 48 (or 1.75, 2, 1.7 per game).

We are currently sitting on 17 points from 9 games (1.88 per game), Spurs 7 from 10 (0.7 per game).

I'm thinking that due to the quality of the likes of Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh this year it could be another 60 point plus requirement to get UEFA football so we look on target for it at the moment!

(just put the Spurs values in there for another laugh at them really)

If we win our next game we will be on an avergae 2 points a game, which over a season you would imagine would be enough to get you champions league football. Admittedly we've not come up against any big teams yet, but its not a bad return.

Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh

It certainly looks like these lot are the competition this season.

Played 1 Lost 1

:(

Without looking to see if any of the others have played eachother I'd imagine that the group of us, Blackburn, Citeh, and Pompey will win our home games against eachother and therefore by default lose the away games.

Could be the winner of this mini league gets the European spot

Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh

It certainly looks like these lot are the competition this season.

Played 1 Lost 1

:(

Played the hardest out of the 6 games tbh. I'd fancy us to beat all 3 at home.

I didnt mean to put a negative spin on that actually, sorry. I agree we've probably played the hardest game of the 6 in that group.

I also think we will get better, there was a lot of change at the club and only City have had similar circumstances. Nasty injury to Elano would certainly dent their run of form too.

I didnt mean to put a negative spin on that actually, sorry. I agree we've probably played the hardest game of the 6 in that group.

I also think we will get better, there was a lot of change at the club and only City have had similar circumstances. Nasty injury to Elano would certainly dent their run of form too.

Is that a suggestion for Butt in the return game?? >:D :knuppel2:

Is that a suggestion for Butt in the return game?? >:D :knuppel2:

Out of respect for Dr Speccy i couldnt possibly comment.

Given - 7 Good did virtually everything right ut didn't have much to do.

Beye - 7 Got forward very well. Found it tough defensively at times. Its great having good propper Fulbacks!

Cacapa - 8.5 MOM Great goal and Mr Cool defensively a great find , the lynchpin of our defence now.

Faye - 8.5  Outstanding. Won almost everything in the air, a real tower of strength.

Enrique - 7 Defensively sound, excellent passing and took Malbranque out the game.

Butt 8.5 - Did what Butt does at his best, gets stuck in, breaks down attacks, passes well and gets forward when needed.

Emre 7 - Very good passing and good link up play. Could have done more though (possibly will do if given a run).

Zoggy - 7 gave 100% battled hard trying to create, but didn't really get anywhere.

Martins - 7.5 Got the all important first goal that again, probably only he would have got. A big threat to them throughout. Had alot of blocked shots, i thnk he's fantastic love watching him play, very exciting, deadly on the break.

Owen - 7 good link up play but disapointing efforts on goal, could have had a couple on another day.

Roze - 7 Good

Milner - 7.5 Cracking goal to finish them off, held the ball up well too.

Barton 7 good.

Overall Started off fairly even, with both sides creating the odd oppourtunity, Martins brilliant goal out of nothing really was very very important and really shook them. We played a long (50 yards?) ball which the defender tried to control but kicked Martins who had run (like lightning) between player and ball then quick as a flash controlled the ball and smashed it goalwards onto the onrushing keeper and it deflected into the roof of net. Most strikers would not have even attempted to bother doing this nevermind have got there fast enough. The cracks then started to show in their defence and midfield and we exploited them superbly well and they were shockingly bad at times with defensive errors and misplaced passes gallore under our pressure. Sam got the tactics right. I hope we've learned from Derby and attack more against Reading.

Guest LucaAltieri

A point on the race for Europe......

Over the last 3 seasons the lowest UEFA cup entrant (excluding West Ham in 05/06 - got in due to being in the cup final) has accumulated 56 points, 63 points and 55 points (working backwards in years).

Based on current points/games we would need to accumulate another 39, 46 or 38 points (or 1.3, 1.6, 1.3 points per game)

Spurs on the other hand would need 49, 56, 48 (or 1.75, 2, 1.7 per game).

We are currently sitting on 17 points from 9 games (1.88 per game), Spurs 7 from 10 (0.7 per game).

I'm thinking that due to the quality of the likes of Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh this year it could be another 60 point plus requirement to get UEFA football so we look on target for it at the moment!

(just put the Spurs values in there for another laugh at them really)

:celb:

...but I cant see us keeping up that kind of form in the second half of the season.