Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

My ratings. Ask if you want any clarification. Too tired to explain everyones performance in words ;)

Given: 7

Beye: 7

Faye: 9

Cacappa: 8

Enrique: 8

Zogbia: 7

Butt: 8

Emre: 7

Geremi: 7

Martins: 9

Owen: 7

Nicky Butt isn't ever going to be a favourite of mine, Shakster, but I can appreciate when the bloke puts a shift in.

I can't help it, just dislike the bloke for some reason. He frustrates me.

Guest Deep456

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5350/tableht3.jpg

:coolsmiley:

fun. everytime i see the table, though, i do a mental "what-if", where i subtract 3 points from Derby and add them to Newcastle and then cringe.  If we'd taken care of business against one of the worst teams in Premiership history, we'd be in 4th right now with a game in hand on Man City

Tbh we only really dropped 3points. 1 to Derby and 2 to Boro.

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type? 

Owen's link up play was good. Martins really struggled in that area. Overall, the lack of a target man showed.

unbelievable.

Nicky Butt isn't ever going to be a favourite of mine, Shakster, but I can appreciate when the bloke puts a shift in.

I can't help it, just dislike the bloke for some reason. He frustrates me.

Pretty much my opinion of him as well. MOM for me though :S

I thought Barton was poor.

Not Dawson poor, or Jenas poor, but that was pretty underwhelming as far as debuts go.

Aye, he was rubbish. Still nowhere near match fit.

I'm worried about him like. He was absolute dog shit at Carlisle pre season too. Not best match to judge but expected much more from him.

That's about three or four different opinions on tonight's MotM. This is a good sign.

Its refreshing to see the talent we know we have actually performing together in the same game rather than just 1 man at a time for a change!

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type? 

Owen's link up play was good. Martins really struggled in that area. Overall, the lack of a target man showed.

unbelievable.

They both did well in completely different styles. Owen would take the ball with one, two touches and lay it off perfectly everytime. Martins would wrestle with the ball, but dribble with pace, try unusual things and make things happen that way.

Of course you can't judge him on that one performance. Probably what worries me more is his atrocious displays pre-season. Once again, to string him up for that is OTT. Fingers crossed, I've personally got plenty of faith in him.

Of course you can't judge him on that one performance. Probably what worries me more is his atrocious displays pre-season. Once again, to string him up for that is OTT. Fingers crossed, I've personally got plenty of faith in him.

I didn't see them as I was on holiday at the time, but I thought the general consensus was that Barton played quite well pre-season?

He was atrocious at Carlisle, a game which I was at, probably 90% of his passes were wayward and his long range efforts either cut the grass to the corner flag or were high and wide. If I'm honest I thought he was poor tonight.

I have heard mixed reviews for the other game or two... Don't think he played much though, my memory is not great pre season.

I didn't follow him 100% at City but did enough to knoew he's a quality player just not at full fitness and / or form. I understand i'm in Barton fan boy baiting territory here but it's not my intention as I do believe he can be a great player for us.

That's about three or four different opinions on tonight's MotM. This is a good sign.

Especially when its a case of: Given - 5 - Did nothing.

He probably didn't hit a pin point goal kick at one point.  So that will be a -1 rating by some on here. ;)

This photo fills me with happiness and love:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/77447108.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937E7588A1370768CDEDEA99E08272BB04

Emre is on tiptoes congratulating Martins :lol:

WHAT!!

He played very well at hartlepool and then got injured at Carlisle!

This photo fills me with happiness and love:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/77447108.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1937E7588A1370768CDEDEA99E08272BB04

Aye, the whole team looked so happy when Martins and Cacapa scored! Great to see!!