Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

Of course you can't judge him on that one performance. Probably what worries me more is his atrocious displays pre-season. Once again, to string him up for that is OTT. Fingers crossed, I've personally got plenty of faith in him.

WHAT!!

He played very well at hartlepool and then got injured at Carlisle!

He certainly did get injured. He still played a substantial part of the match though. I'm not trying to wind anybody up here, just passing judgement.

EDIT: I wasn't at the Hartlepool game but I thought I read he was at best average against a weak side... Not really something I would argue though, I wasn't there.

However, he was the worst player on the pitch at Brunton Park.

I hope Smith doesn't walk back into the team on Saturday.

Up front with Owen perhaps?

Allardyce would be mad to leave Martins out away from home, with the home team having to come out and attack us he's the only one capable of getting in behind them.

I hope Smith doesn't walk back into the team on Saturday.

Up front with Owen perhaps?

Allardyce would be mad to leave Martins out away from home, with the home team having to come out and attack us he's the only one capable of getting in behind them.

I haven't the slightest doubt that if Viduka is fit, he'll be in and Martins will be out. Smith will be back in midfield as well.

We won today because Faye was magnificent and Spurs, apart from a 10 minute spell, were absolutely shit. It was the most spineless performance I've seen from any team this season, and a conclusive demonstration that the players just aren't doing it for Jol any more.

A lot of people are saying Owen and Martins won't work but sometimes it takes a while for players to form partnerships. I thought Rooney and Tevez were awful together for the first couple of games, but they are flying now.

I just think because we have so many forwards at the moment, it's very important for us to be able to player any 2 together. That way the opposition will find it much harder to predict our team selection and tactics.

I'm really happy with the result tonight. I thought everyone played their role in the game but special mention to Enrique, Caçapa, Faye, Butt and Martins who I thought were excellent.

Same again!

Definitely agree. Especially playing away.

Saying that, there is an argument to make for starting Viduka again because he holds the ball up well and can challenge those balls that are hoofed up. Most of the defensive clearances that were made today just came right back at us (especially in the second half), something which probably would not have happened if Viduka was in the team.

Same again!

Definitely agree. Especially playing away.

Saying that, there is an argument to make for starting Viduka again because he holds the ball up well and can challenge those balls that are hoofed up. Most of the defensive clearances that were made today just came right back at us (especially in the second half), something which probably would not have happened if Viduka was in the team.

Oh i was on about the midfield, but yeah, Viduka has got to play if fit.

Of course you can't judge him on that one performance. Probably what worries me more is his atrocious displays pre-season. Once again, to string him up for that is OTT. Fingers crossed, I've personally got plenty of faith in him.

WHAT!!

He certainly did get injured. He still played a substantial part of the match though. I'm not trying to wind anybody up here, just passing judgement.

EDIT: I wasn't at the Hartlepool game but I thought I read he was at best average against a weak side... Not really something I would argue though, I wasn't there.

No he wasnt. Dyer wasnt even moving and didnt look interested in the slightest.

Personally, I thought Nicky Butt was fucking outstanding today.

Broke up the play time and time again  :thup:

Aye, he was great today, motm for me. But I'm like The Janitor, I don't like him as he can be so frustrating.

WHAT!!

Atrocious displays although you saw less than half of the time he played.  Was excellent at Hartlepool, against limited opposition yes, but atrocious is just making it up to suit your argument

We weren't at our best today but took our chances when it came and for the most part, defended resolutely. Our attack wasn't fluid, but it looked like we had a gameplan (for example Given always kicked towards Geremi because he was up against the smaller Lee) and we never stopped hustling in the first half. Even though we weren't playing Arsenal-style football, we were really good in keeping possession and pinning them back. Sam seems to have instilled a low-risk attacking plan which puts the opposition under pressure for long enough that they'll make at least a couple of mistakes, and from there we hope that our strikers finish the job. I think all of this says that we're heading in the right direction, and all we need now is to replicate this type of performance away from home.

Note - Milner was quite disappointing whilst he was on. We missed Zoggy ALOT. I dunno whether it was because Chimbonda is a quality fullback or it's just that Milner's a bit tired atm, but he was slow in reacting and even slower in getting involved in our attacks.

Note 2 - Berbatov is deceptively quick. Skinned Beye with ease on one occasion near the byline. His agility is also something that hasn't been mentioned that much, but it's that and his close control and overall technique that makes him such a classy player.

Note 3 - I'm slightly worried about Beye. He looks good going forward - having pace helps here. However, defensively, he seems unable to adapt and change how close he's actually marking his player. On one instance with Berbs near the byline he was too close. On a few occasions when Spurs had a player on the left wing, he was too far away which made it was easier for them to cross the ball. Maybe it's a tad overreading his game but he needs to adjust to who he's marking and where they are on the pitch. This was also evident when we played Citeh three weeks ago.

Thing is, bar the top four from last season, and maybe Man City and Pompey, they're probably the "best of the rest". 4 wins at SJP out of 5. We should be looking for at least another 10. 43 points from home matches alone would be a monumental effort.

WHAT!!

Fair enough, I disagree though. Although Dyer also had a poor game he did create an opening and a good chance from a breakaway run into the box and had a shot on target. He also never constantly gave posession to the other team. I've no personal gain from saying this, point is he was poor today and then, lets just see what happens.

Barton

Emre

Butt

Geremi

Zog

Milner

Duff

Smith

So many choices, bar Duff all will be available this weekend so who the f*** will Sam pick?!?!?!

Really tricky one to be honest!Considering Barton is not fully fit yet I would pick......

Geremi          Butt          Emre            Zog                                                                                                                   

Think none of them deserved to be dropped.Surprised Zog was taken of,thought he done ok,not his best performance but he looked dangerous

WHAT!!

Fair enough, I disagree though. Although Dyer also had a poor game he did create an opening and a good chance from a breakaway run into the box and had a shot on target. He also never constantly gave posession to the other team. I've no personal gain from saying this, point is he was poor today and then, lets just see what happens.

Barton did seemed to be off the pace and seemed to need an extra couple of seconds before a pass but surely that's expected from someone coming off a 2 month layoff? Especially against a team harrying and hustling because they're down by 2? No?