Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

Guest sittingontheball

A point on the race for Europe......

We are currently sitting on 17 points from 9 games (1.88 per game), Spurs 7 from 10 (0.7 per game).

I'm thinking that due to the quality of the likes of Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh this year it could be another 60 point plus requirement to get UEFA football so we look on target for it at the moment!

As the table stands, lots of teams have started well. Our record so far would normally get you higher than eighth. Conversely its a point a game or less (classic relegation form) from 13th downward.

Pompey are up there in spite of very hard opening fixtures, so all credit to them. We've got lots of hard games to come, including our game in hand, which is against Arsenal. Things are looking good though. Howay the lads!

I really hated the way we played in the last 10 minutes. We're not a possession side, and with Martins alone up front the ball was never going to stick.

Emre just doesn't play for the team. With Butt in the anchor role, he needed to get forward, but he wants to be a playmaker so they end up playing side by side. We were getting overwhelmed after Spurs scored. Barton looked unfit, but his arrival gave the team and the crowd a lift, and that led to the third goal, which was all important.

Some lessons learned. Martins and Owen are not a combination, and Martins is not a £15 million player.

are you off your head?

Agree with jonny PD either your a WUM or you were watching a different game or you just have shockingly poor opinions.

Guest andynufc84

I really hated the way we played in the last 10 minutes. We're not a possession side, and with Martins alone up front the ball was never going to stick.

Emre just doesn't play for the team. With Butt in the anchor role, he needed to get forward, but he wants to be a playmaker so they end up playing side by side. We were getting overwhelmed after Spurs scored. Barton looked unfit, but his arrival gave the team and the crowd a lift, and that led to the third goal, which was all important.

Some lessons learned. Martins and Owen are not a combination, and Martins is not a £15 million player.

are you off your head?

Agree with jonny PD either your a WUM or you were watching a different game or you just have shockingly poor opinions.

To be honest bobyule has made some valid points.

When we went 2-0 up Spurs raised their game and upped the ante, it was inevitiable they were going to make it 2-1.

Don't think we were 'overwhelmed' though

The ball clearly wasn't sticking when going up to Martins, it was obvious to see were missing Viduka in that sense.

As for us not being a posession side, don't agree entirely but there were a lot of aimless punts forward last night.  Totally agree with his view on Emre, what did he actually do last night? Nicky Butt seemed to be doing everything.

Its a good job Spurs' midfield was so average.

Ratings and opinions

Given - 6 - Not much to do really, some good catches and seems to look more commanding of his defensive unit.

Beye - 7 - Good Pace, still needs to learn about the league though. Very solid going forward, and at the back, He only got done twice, as did Enrique. Still he's a great defender, but my only concern with him is his final ball. Still a fan though.

Cacapa - 8.5 - My MOTM, absolutely perfect defender, no more needs to be said.

Faye - 8.5 - MOTM was always between him and Cacapa imo, both were fantastic and have the perfect bruiser and brains partnership, absolute beast in the air.

Enrique - 7 - Solid enough, but like Beye needs to learn the ropes. Technically he is excellent his left foot is something else, he isn't too rash doesn't dive in but sometimes his positioning is questionable. As a player streets ahead of Taylor, this is the difference between a Spanish 21 year old and an English 21 year old.

Zoggy - 7 - Not massively in the game today, was too greedy at times, his dribbling ability scares defenders.

Emre - 7.5 - Creative and used some skill, good worker and a decent shift put in.

Butt - 8 - I don't like him and for someone of his experience he gets far too wound up, he was good today though effectively breaking down attacks, and simply passing the ball along.

Geremi - 7 - he keeps the ball well, hardest worker on the team, he is a good passer too, Shouldn't take as many set pieces as he does but i'd rather have him in the middle than Butt.

Owen - 6.5 - Where is the pace?, its just vanished. Anyway such a clever footballer, makes up for it, People saying his link up play is excellent, well it wasn't tonight lost the ball on 3 or 4 occasions, had more time for that one-on-one too.

Martins - 7 - His pace makes defenders s*** themselves, had Dawson and Huddlestone(?) all over all night. Nice flukey chest control for the goal, and a decent finish tbh. He got round the back on some good ocasions. Can be the headless chicken but he had an intelligent and calm link-up game tonight, and with his pace and skill he is great on the counter, he is a much improved player this season, too greedy at times, but he's a striker, so who cares.

Subs

Milner - 6.5 - Solid and provided cover for Enrique.

Roz - 7 - Energetic.

Barton - 6 - good to see him back, some good passes and positioning, one bad pass, not the end of the world.

Guest andynufc84

Ratings and opinions

Given - 6 - Not much to do really, some good catches and seems to look more commanding of his defensive unit.

Beye - 7 - Good Pace, still needs to learn about the league though. Very solid going forward, and at the back, He only got done twice, as did Enrique. Still he's a great defender, but my only concern with him is his final ball. Still a fan though.

Faye - 8.5 - MOTM was always between him and Cacapa imo, both were fantastic and have the perfect bruiser and brains partnership, absolute beast in the air.

Enrique - 7 - Solid enough, but like Beye needs to learn the ropes. Technically he is excellent his left foot is something else, he isn't too rash doesn't dive in but sometimes his positioning is questionable. As a player streets ahead of Taylor, this is the difference between a Spanish 21 year old and an English 21 year old.

Zoggy - 7 - Not massively in the game today, was too greedy at times, his dribbling ability scares defenders.

Butt - 8 - I don't like him and for someone of his experience he gets far too wound up, he was good today though effectively breaking down attacks, and simply passing the ball along.

Geremi - 7 - he keeps the ball well, hardest worker on the team, he is a good passer too, Shouldn't take as many set pieces as he does but i'd rather have him in the middle than Butt.

Owen - 6.5 - Where is the pace?, its just vanished. Anyway such a clever footballer, makes up for it, People saying his link up play is excellent, well it wasn't tonight lost the ball on 3 or 4 occasions, had more time for that one-on-one too.

Martins - 7 - His pace makes defenders s*** themselves, had Dawson and Huddlestone(?) all over all night. Nice flukey chest control for the goal, and a decent finish tbh. He got round the back on some good ocasions. Can be the headless chicken but he had an intelligent and calm link-up game tonight, and with his pace and skill he is great on the counter, he is a much improved player this season, too greedy at times, but he's a striker, so who cares.

Subs

Roz - 7 - Energetic.

Barton - 6 - good to see him back, some good passes and positioning, one bad pass, not the end of the world.

Like your review of Emre mate, I didn't notice he was playing either

Ratings and opinions

Subs

Roz - 7 - Energetic.

Like your review of Emre mate, I didn't notice he was playing either

Haha just changed it.

I can't believe people are complaining about last night. That was by far the best performance from a Newcastel team in a long time. We did an absolute job on them. Especially when you consider we had no 'target-man'. For me Martins did what he was supposed to, he may have the touch of a rapist and act liek forrest gump at times but the guy scores goals. Cacapa and Faye are actually phenomenal, Faye is an absolute monster and not scared of a bit of 'BOSH' and Cacapa is so good at reading the game its uncanny. Enrique looked good aswell, apart from a few passes that were asking a lot from Milner. Man, considering the way we were under Roeder, and the little time and money Sam had, its actually amazing, I mean my eyes are squinting from the rays of infinitely bright light shining from the guys arse right now. The crowd last night was really up for it, and I genuinely think that this is the turn around. Also if all the rumours of us signing young talent from the continent are true, I can see Sam sticking with us for a long time and bringing us some success. I know being negative is par for the course with following Newcastle but last night was awesome in my eyes, the crowd were behind the players and the players were responding, a relationship that could have no bounds. This is it, the revolution is here, and Big Sam is devising the success that Newcastle deserve. BE HAPPY!

thought we did a good job last ten mins... killed the game

To me, killing the game means keeping possession and making the opposition chase round for the ball as you pass it about. We just immediately gave the ball away and invited them to play attack v defence. Against a better side or one that was playing with any kind of fighting spirit, we'd have probably conceded at least one goal.

Pompey, Blackburn and Citeh

It certainly looks like these lot are the competition this season.

Played 1 Lost 1

:(

Without looking to see if any of the others have played eachother I'd imagine that the group of us, Blackburn, Citeh, and Pompey will win our home games against eachother and therefore by default lose the away games.

Could be the winner of this mini league gets the European spot

We lost 1-0 at Blackburn. 30 fouls to 3 or something like that. Dirty cunts.

Portsmouth won 1-0 at Blackburn couple of weeks back.

We play Portsmouth away in November. I think its on telly judging by 4pm sunday k/o time.

Also think the African Nations Cup will be important. You, Portsmouth and Blackburn lose some key players like McCarthy, Samba, Muntari, Utaka, Beye and Martins. We lose nobody.

I didnt mean to put a negative spin on that actually, sorry. I agree we've probably played the hardest game of the 6 in that group.

I also think we will get better, there was a lot of change at the club and only City have had similar circumstances. Nasty injury to Elano would certainly dent their run of form too.

Is that a suggestion for Butt in the return game?? >:D :knuppel2:

The one flaw in that plan being Butt's inability to get anywhere near Elano. tbh.

i must say geremi done pretty well on the right but he hasnt got the pace

kept cutting in and helping out all night and he done the spurs players with little turns that you wouldnt expect to beat a man, played much better there than he did at centre mid imo

Haha...  love what Sam had to say about last night:

'But we still have big teams to come. We have not played them yet, but where Tottenham have finished over the last two years, they are a big side and they have spent big, big money over the last four years and have big players, but we beat them comfortably 3-1.'

I think that's a bit of retaliation towards Jol's comments before the match.  O0

Guest Guinness

anyone know if the n'zog substitution was due to injury or tactical ?

said it was tactical on Setanta altho i wouldn't take that as truth as they appear to know f*** all generally

I've had Satanta for about a month and I'm already sick of it! They we're amazingly biased in their build up to the game and coverage in general. The match was looked at pretty much entirely from a Spurs perspective. Having said that maybe it's a good thing that these days the focus seems to be off us in these sort of games allwoing us to quietly go about our business :undecided:

anyone know if the n'zog substitution was due to injury or tactical ?

said it was tactical on Setanta altho i wouldn't take that as truth as they appear to know f*** all generally

I've had Satanta for about a month and I'm already sick of it! They we're amazingly biased in their build up to the game and coverage in general. The match was looked at pretty much entirely from a Spurs perspective. Having said that maybe it's a good thing that these days the focus seems to be off us in these sort of games allwoing us to quietly go about our business :undecided:

I agree, Last night post match took the piss. All they were interested in was Spurs, When Spurs played Villa it was the same.

Guest optimistic nit

never rated dawson. every time he plays against us he has been beyond shite. i don't know whether thats because we're his bogey team, or because he is shite, but i think the latter.