Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

awww i fuckin love Newcastle, just picked up a cool 170 quid after tonight.

great result.  :celb:

Nice, correct score bet?

i had 3 different bets, had a Newcastle + hull double that won me 50 quid, Martins to score first won me 50 quid and 3-1 won me 70 quid :D

Hats off to you then  blueyes.gif

cheers, dunno how much im up but ive won near 900 quid since the Celtic friendly :p

What kind of reaction did Owen get when he went off ?

Good applause. Why wouldn't he?

Was more to see if it was a general applause that players get when subbed or a more louder "we support you" kind of cheer

Guest rebel_yell12

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type?  

Guest TampaToon

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5350/tableht3.jpg

:coolsmiley:

fun. everytime i see the table, though, i do a mental "what-if", where i subtract 3 points from Derby and add them to Newcastle and then cringe.  If we'd taken care of business against one of the worst teams in Premiership history, we'd be in 4th right now with a game in hand on Man City

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type?  

Owen's link up play was good. Martins really struggled in that area. Overall, the lack of a target man showed.

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type? 

Did a lot more linking up, did very well at it as well. I think he can link up but tends not to sometimes becuase his game is based around being on the last man so it's up to someone else to do it. but with no Viduka he had to do a bit more and did very well.

How did Owen play?  Did he look knackered from the England matches or was he sharp?  On another board it said he was doing a lot of link-up...that seems odd for a man known for being a clinical finisher (and not so great at "overall contribution" in some people's opinions).  Was this an attempt to work with Martins -- although I thought he was more the link-up play type? 

Both front men did well in their own way IMO, even though it didn't really work as a partnership.

Was mainly doing link-up stuff, holding the ball up, etc. Played very well, imo, in that role.

Owen missed a one on one, the sort that the majority of the board would say "Owen would have scored that" if it was Oba that missed it.

Owen missed a one on one, the sort that the majority of the board would say "Owen would have scored that" if it was Oba that missed it.

What one on one? The one that was saved?

what the top draw save?

f****** GET IN THERE!

Butchered the bastards (bar that 15 minute spell in the second half when my ringpiece was going like the clappers.)

Thankyou Michael Dawson, thankyou Jermaine Jenas.

Cacapa and Butt were immense for us, the former is fast becoming a favourite of mine.

And the latter?  :shifty:

Anyway, delighted with that. Faye and Cacapa looked quality, and Beye and Enrique seem very solid defensively. We're a more solid team than we have been for a very long time.

Emre helped our ball retention immensely in midfield, and Barton got a run out which is nice.

I don't think they're a suitable partnership or ever will be, but Owen and Martins both did well I thought. Owen's build up play is so underrated.

Jenas had an absolute shocker.  :lol:

Loved Ashley shouting "Whey" along with the rest of the crowd when Kaboul ballooned that shot late on.

Great result, well done.

at the beginning he started drifting out on the right but his lack of pace and strength meant Kaboul had him in his pocket. then he withdraw into the middle and spent most the game dropping deep and linking the play. a quiet but solid game, did his job well, not spectacularly well, but good enough. as apisith said, he seemed to play within himself, but he also took a few knocks and they didnt seem to effect him.

as for the partnership with Martins, i think we lacked a player to play with his back to goal, hold it up, and bring others into the game. as a result, despite our total domination in possession, we didn't pressurise spurs enough or pin them back. that said both Owen and Martins did well in build-up play, especially Martins who fought for everything and was calm on the ball, while Owen barely misplaced a pass all game. considering it is their first real game together, i thought they did well and would like to see it again. Ideally we would've had Emre up there in support but he spent most the game deep, with Butt being the more attacking of the duo. and we could've played it on the deck more, instead we resorted to the long ball, which to be fair when it was aimed at Martins worked very well. thought the partnership looked best when n'zogbia and geremi cut inside to give support, and Martins and Owen peeled away outside the centre-halves into space.

Assuming you mean the saved one, I thought he took it a little too early, which gave the keeper a chance as he didn't exactly spank it. Good save though.

Assuming you mean the saved one, I thought he took it a little too early, which gave the keeper a chance as he didn't exactly spank it. Good save though.

He took it early because his pace has gone, see similar efforts against Barnsley and Wigan.

what the top draw save?

was a weak shot that the keeper should save every time tbf, couldn't get into a prime shooting position because of his lack of pace too. did the right thing tho since Kaboul had Martins partially blocked.

He took it early because his pace has gone, see similar efforts against Barnsley and Wigan.

Aye. Still, I think he had the time and space in front of him to make the angle a little better for himself, as well as getting a bit closer.