Newcastle 3 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur - 22/10/07 - Post match reaction from page 17

James

Guest mr quimbys beard

Great result for the lads, Cacapa looks immense and i think the team gets better and better each game, Milners goal was the pick of the bunch for me, very composed, long may the bugger continue.

Guest Deep456

Jol will not be sacked this week. Heard it here first.

Ok all you doubters. You have been Deeped. As for Jol he stays beyond this week.

I wonder why you are top of your predict-a-score league.... :lol:

How can one hear something NOT happening first? :lol:

I predict I will be right. Heard if here first.

OK, watched it on TV, so don't take my head off with the ratings!

Given 7, Beye 7, Cacapa 8, Faye 8, Enrique 8, Geremi 7, Emre 8, Butt 8, N'Zogbia 7, Martins 8, Owen 6

Few comments:

1) Spurs are utter tripe. They remind me of us the season Gullitt got sacked about 6 games in, they have some serious problems and Jol needs to go

2) One of our best performances in a while, we fully deserved the victory.

3) Best back 4 I can remember us having as long as Ive watched the toon. I think Cacapa and Faye are the best central pairing.

4) Good to have some creativity back with Emre in, just wish he would stop the rolling around on the floor every match.

5) We need to start winning on the road, we look good at home, but bad away. It goes without saying that if we dont pick up points away, we'll finish mid-table again. Potentially we have a top 6 side.

OK, watched it on TV, so don't take my head off with the ratings!

Given 7, Beye 7, Cacapa 8, Faye 8, Enrique 8, Geremi 7, Emre 8, Butt 8, N'Zogbia 7, Martins 8, Owen 6

Few comments:

1) Spurs are utter tripe. They remind me of us the season Gullitt got sacked about 6 games in, they have some serious problems and Jol needs to go

2) One of our best performances in a while, we fully deserved the victory.

3) Best back 4 I can remember us having as long as Ive watched the toon. I think Cacapa and Faye are the best central pairing.

4) Good to have some creativity back with Emre in, just wish he would stop the rolling around on the floor every match.

5) We need to start winning on the road, we look good at home, but bad away. It goes without saying that if we dont pick up points away, we'll finish mid-table again. Potentially we have a top 6 side.

well, i watched the game on the telly as well, and the only one i think is currently over rated now is butt!

ok he did his fare share of runnin, and was excellent at breaking down play! (poor jenas)

buy djeez, how many times during a game, where he gets a pass, turns, and looses it! the 10 minute spell, if you watch closely, is butt loosing the ball in midfield for them to attack! (but that also states how important he was in this match as well) still, butt had a great game, but saying he should have a 9 or a 10 on the ratings is utter bullshit in my opinion :)

btw, istn emre supposed to link up play between midfield and attack, whereas butt does this every time he plays? find it a bit funny, as i see butt as an DM, and emre as an AM

Have been away for a couple of days enjoying the delights of Oz's SW(no, NOT THOSE delights..!), but watched the recording before we left on Tues a.m.(game was on at 3 a.m. our time)

Reckon it was the best performance to date - we were never in serious trouble and I was glad to be proved wrong after forecasting a 2-2 ; thought Spurs were extremely poor considering the cost of their squad, and even though we outplayed them, it is obvious that something is seriously wrong at WHL - Jol is bound to be gone soon.

Having said that, we would have beaten many good sides on that performance ; Faye & Cacapa were superb at the back(has there EVER been a better value for money double signing than that?), and I was not surprised to see Cacapa get a goal - I reckon he will get at least 5 over the season, a really class defender who reads the game superbly..

Owen & Martins caused them problems, more so than I thought, because Owen is proving to be a really good footballer who can also lead the line as well as score goals and Martins' pace worried Dawson.

The midfield played some of the best passing game we've seen from them since the season started and I suppose the influence of Emre(and, to a lesser extent, Barton when he came on), made a difference to our possession play which was better than all season ; once we can sort out a bit better movement off the ball, we shall really start to look a side to be reckoned with.

Let's hope this is not a false dawn, and that we start to win away, beginning with Reading - a few good away results will have the top sides looking over their shoulders ....

All in all, every reason to be satisfied with the result and improving performance - we may yet have a good bit to say in how this season finishes.....

Guest LucasUnger

good game, but i thought the atmosphere was nowhere near great.

i was sitting milburn stand 1892 and the only one singin around me was my girlfriend.

hope it gets better next 2 home games cause i'm comin over again ;)

good game, but i thought the atmosphere was nowhere near great.

i was sitting milburn stand 1892 and the only one singin around me was my girlfriend.

hope it gets better next 2 home games cause i'm comin over again ;)

try not sitting in the posh part

Guest rebel_yell12

I've seen some player ratings and reviews just laying into Owen -- I thought he played well?  Does he just get slated because he didn't score?  From what I've read and seen (only bits of the game, hard to get the whole thing over here in America -- land of the wrong sort of "football") he did the job for the team, even if it wasn't his natural style of play, and that deserves some credit.  Just because he didn't get a goal, doesn't mean he wasn't playing well or giving his all.  He was playing the position the team needed, linking play between the midfield and Martins -- and tbh I don't quite trust Martins in that role yet.  His touch can be absolutely gobsmacking, and his vision still needs work (he looks for goals immediately, not his teammates, doesn't look to pass -- a problem Owen had in his first year or so at Liverpool too).  I think it can only be a credit to Michael Owen that he worked very hard for the team for 79 minutes with little "glory" from his performance.  Unselfish players, who are willing and able to do what the team needs (even if it means they are out of position or not playing to their own strengths) are a great boon to any club -- and Newcastle finally seems to be getting that sort of quality to the squad in both signings and Allardyce's management.  This can only mean good things for Newcastle. 

The problem with Owen is some people still think he's as good now as the day he signed, the truth is he's nowhere near that quality anymore.

so what your saying is he lost his quality, the pace, and now has nothn left?

i think owen has improved as a striker acually, but he lost the pace that made him world class yes, but still, better striker now than 3 years ago

The problem with Owen is some people still think he's as good now as the day he signed, the truth is he's nowhere near that quality anymore.

How can you tell, he's barely played?  Or is that your argument?  If he doesn't have 15(bare minimum)-20 goals by the end of the season, I'll agree. 

....people like Butt need replacing before Owen.

if butt is playing like on monday, he could be our new speed :p butt-speed,  mackems.gif

I think the games against Isreal and Russia proved he is still as deadly as he's ever been.  Maybe not as good an all round player that he once was, but give him a chance and he'll take it.  His movement in and around the box is second to none.