Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

i'm pretty sure you're underestimating the achievement of getting spurs to where they are. spurs were a mid table team at best when he took over but he transformed them into easily the 5th best team in the premiership (before the start of this season). not exactly a mean feat considering the premier league has much more stregnth in depth than la liga. La liga have 2 great teams, and one good team valencia. villereal and osasuna have finished 4th or better in recent years. would they have made it into the top 6 of the PL in those seasons? i think not.

Jol has done brilliantly at spurs who before him always flattered to decieve. i'm not saying that ramos hasn't achieved much, because he has, but with a bit of luck jol could have finished 4th last year.

It's funny how Spurs rise coincides with them spending more than they have ever done in the past, only Chelsea have spent more than Spurs in recent years Valencia, Madrid, Barca and Athletico have all spent more than Sevilla. Spurs werent 'easily' the 5th best team either they scraped in to 5th last year with the second worst defensive record in the league, which is now catching up with them and the year before they had the shortest season ever and only played 40 games.

You're kidding yourself if you think the premiership as more depth aswell, that Villareal team were a penalty away from the champions league final but they would struggle to finish 6th in the prem? okay then. And didnt Sevilla knock Spurs out of the uefa cup last year?

Guest optimistic nit

i'm pretty sure you're underestimating the achievement of getting spurs to where they are. spurs were a mid table team at best when he took over but he transformed them into easily the 5th best team in the premiership (before the start of this season). not exactly a mean feat considering the premier league has much more stregnth in depth than la liga. La liga have 2 great teams, and one good team valencia. villereal and osasuna have finished 4th or better in recent years. would they have made it into the top 6 of the PL in those seasons? i think not.

Jol has done brilliantly at spurs who before him always flattered to decieve. i'm not saying that ramos hasn't achieved much, because he has, but with a bit of luck jol could have finished 4th last year.

It's funny how Spurs rise coincides with them spending more than they have ever done in the past, only Chelsea have spent more than Spurs in recent years Valencia, Madrid, Barca and Athletico have all spent more than Sevilla. Spurs werent 'easily' the 5th best team either they scraped in to 5th last year with the second worst defensive record in the league, which is now catching up with them and the year before they had the shortest season ever and only played 40 games.

You're kidding yourself if you think the premiership as more depth aswell, that Villareal team were a penalty away from the champions league final but they would struggle to finish 6th in the prem? okay then. And didnt Sevilla knock Spurs out of the uefa cup last year?

aye but liverpool won the CL and got into another final yet when have they been anywhere near the premier league trophy?

spending money isn't everything either, look at how much we've squandered, it needs to be spent well.

if osasuna and villereal, both small clubs, can finish in the top 4 in spain, i don't see why doing it with a consistant top 6 side sevilla is that much of an achiement compared with Jol turning spurs into what was looking like a team capable of challenging the top 4. Villerral would have probably finished 6th in the 2005 PL season, considering the team that finished 5th won the CL that year.

Juande Ramos was one of the people linke to the City job over the summer...I was quite warm on the idea. The biggest concern I had (That I remember) was, great job at Sevilla aside...

Teams managed

1993-1994 CD Alcoyano

1994-1995 Levante UD

1995-1996 CD Logroñés

1996-1997 FC Barcelona B

1997-1998 UE Lleida

1998-2001 Rayo Vallecano

2001-2002 Real Betis

2002 RCD Espanyol

2003-2004 Málaga CF

2005-Present Sevilla FC

He's not exactly young. And he's hardly been a consistent sucess. Vallecano did well, but he managed Betis in El Fizzy Pop, Espanyol finished 17th the "season" he was in charge (not sure how long he lasted), Malaga finished 10th after he took over from a sucessful retiring manager...his CV isn't owt special on the face of it. Is he just the flavour of the month cos he's stumbled into a good setup in Seville.

Villerral would have probably finished 6th in the 2005 PL season, considering the team that finished 5th won the CL that year.

I'm sure they knocked out the team that finished 4th (Everton) in the qualifying stage.

Martin Jol was tactically inept and Spurs managed to finish 5th because of the quality of their squad over anything he did, even Roeder tactically outwitted him ffs.

Ramos has the potential to be a much better manager for them, he mixes good football with a solid base to the team, whether he can adapt to English football could be a risk but it's one worth taking, the other option is playing it safe and going for an average manager already based here, he'll have no problem with Spurs Director of Football set up either as that's how Sevilla have been ran in the past with a bloke called Ramon Rodriguez pulling the strings.

his CV isn't owt special on the face of it. Is he just the flavour of the month cos he's stumbled into a good setup in Seville.

This is true. Agrees.

Aye good point.

Also Seville have won the UEFA Cup back to back and put in a strong title challenge last season.

Much more than having a great second half to the season (that's what Spurs had last year).

I don't rate Jol at all.

Guest Ridzuan

Jol is a rubbish manager I think even though he managed to get Spurs into the 5th position of the last 2 season,but other than that,there is nothing special about him.I wanted him to stay longer just to see Spurs suffering a little longer,but it hasnt happen.I hope they will appoint someone like Megson,though Im pretty sure it wont happen.

Guest sharath

Why the f*** would Ramos walk away from the Champions League for that mob? Looks like he's going to but I f****** wouldn't.

money money money, everything else is funny........

Why the f*** would Ramos walk away from the Champions League for that mob? Looks like he's going to but I f****** wouldn't.

money money money, everything else is funny........

His contract is up at the end of the year and apparently he's out of sorts with the powers-that-be at Sevilla, as well. But, yeah, it's the money.

Juande Ramos was one of the people linke to the City job over the summer...I was quite warm on the idea. The biggest concern I had (That I remember) was, great job at Sevilla aside...

Teams managed

1993-1994 CD Alcoyano

1994-1995 Levante UD

1995-1996 CD Logroñés

1996-1997 FC Barcelona B

1997-1998 UE Lleida

1998-2001 Rayo Vallecano

2001-2002 Real Betis

2002 RCD Espanyol

2003-2004 Málaga CF

2005-Present Sevilla FC

I was a bit annoyed that Spurs had finally come to realise how average Martin Jol was, and worried they might get in someone decent. This cheered me up though - even if he does do well, he's obviously not one to stick around.

All part of Spurs' long term plan I'm sure.  :giggle:

From what I see, Ramos has never managed outside Spain, let alone in the Premiership. Is he the right person to take over a relegation scrap three months into the season?

I'm not sure if they really believe it is a relegation scrap... that could be the thing that saves them or the thing that sends them down.

I'll be gutted if they get Juande Ramos tbh, I think given time and money he could build them into a real force.

Look at the job he's done at Sevilla, they were challenging for the Spanish title right until the end of last season and have won back to back UEFA Cups, all while playing very attractive football.

don't think he's any better than jol

LOL

Aye for all his Uefa cups, Spanish cups and title challenges he's never finished 5th in the Premiership after spending more money.

I don't know about sorting out Spurs' defence mind, Sevilla seem more attacking than Spurs with the fullbacks playing as wingers most of the time.

I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the achievement of getting spurs to where they are. spurs were a mid table team at best when he took over but he transformed them into easily the 5th best team in the premiership (before the start of this season). not exactly a mean feat considering the premier league has much more stregnth in depth than la liga. La liga have 2 great teams, and one good team valencia. villereal and osasuna have finished 4th or better in recent years. would they have made it into the top 6 of the PL in those seasons? i think not.

I think Jol is a good manager who has been undermined by his board ever since the summer. The players must have suspected his days were numbered ever since the opening day defeat to Sunderland, that's bound to have affected his control over the dressing room.

Finishing 5th with Spurs two seasons in a row is a good achievement, but that's been done with a lot of money and there have been no trophies at the end of it. I don't think it compares to what Ramos has done at Sevilla, where he has made history.

I think you're being a bit harsh on La Liga, in recent years teams like Villarreal have indeed broken into the top 4 over there, but don't forget that they went on to knock out Everton (who finished 4th in our league) and it took a last-minute penalty save from Lehmann for Arsenal to get the better of them. Last season Sevilla dumped Spurs out of the UEFA Cup before going on to win it. To think that a Spurs reject like Kanoute would be the thorn in their side shows just what Ramos has accomplished there. I think the Premier League only just shades the Spanish league in terms of depth.  La Liga doesn't have the same kind of money floating around as the Premier League, but the advantage clubs have in Spain is that they can tap up the latest talent from South America, hence players like Dani Alves and Riquelme building up their reputations at smaller clubs. This gives the smaller clubs an advantage which smaller Premiership clubs don't have, Sevilla for example signed Dani Alves and Baptista for pittance, yet clubs like Newcastle and Spurs fork out huge amounts for some pretty average players. Just because there is much more money in the Premier League, it does not mean there is much more quality.

Imo the PL is the hardest league in the world for a manager. Ramos althogh talented will have to adapt and will find it hard, however he is a slightly better manager than Jol. My gut feeling is that it will take time and he might even fail ie not a top 8 finish which is Spurs bottom line basically.

Martin Jol was tactically inept and Spurs managed to finish 5th because of the quality of their squad over anything he did, even Roeder tactically outwitted him ffs.

Ramos has the potential to be a much better manager for them, he mixes good football with a solid base to the team, whether he can adapt to English football could be a risk but it's one worth taking, the other option is playing it safe and going for an average manager already based here, he'll have no problem with Spurs Director of Football set up either as that's how Sevilla have been ran in the past with a bloke called Ramon Rodriguez pulling the strings.

As you usually are, spot on. :thup:

As I've said before, if MJ had been as good tactically as he was mediawise with the press, he would have been as good as Mourinho.  But he never had the killer touch to press hiome an advantage.  2-0 up against the Scum kids in the Carling Cup semi finaland decided to go defensive, 3-1 up away against Chelsea in the FA Cup then replaced Berbatov with Mido because 'I'd promised Mido half an hour' is not the way forward.  I still have doubts about Ramos, big doubts tbh especially after having watched Santini try to settle in, but there is no doubt Ramos is far more tactically astute than MJ ever will be. The Uefa Cup ties against Sevilla last season proved that totally.

Although Ramos has now fallen out with Monchi (the DoF) over how the style of play should evolve for Sevilla, as you say Ramos is well used to working with a Sporting Director and apparently know each other pretty well and got on well when that infamous meeting took place.  Ramos was Comolli's #1 choice and it seems he could be in place for the Carling Cup against Blackpool next week with Clive Allen and Alex Inglethorpe looking after training and the Blackburn game.

Poyet is Ramos's choice for his assistant, not Spurs, I have no idea how they know each other or just how good a coach Poyet is, though I do know he was coaching the u12's and doing his badges when he was at Spurs.  The encouraging thing I suppose is Ramos is very keen on fitness coaches, dieticians etc a la Wenger/Allardyce which MJ was never a great believer in.  MJ was never going to stay beyond this season though, even if the top table hadn't been caught with their trousers down in Spain.  Almost certain he will be taking over as Dutch national manager next summer when Van Basten moves on.

As you usually are, spot on. :thup:

As I've said before, if MJ had been as good tactically as he was mediawise with the press, he would have been as good as Mourinho.  But he never had the killer touch to press hiome an advantage.  2-0 up against the Scum kids in the Carling Cup semi finaland decided to go defensive, 3-1 up away against Chelsea in the FA Cup then replaced Berbatov with Mido because 'I'd promised Mido half an hour' is not the way forward.  I still have doubts about Ramos, big doubts tbh especially after having watched Santini try to settle in, but there is no doubt Ramos is far more tactically astute than MJ ever will be. The Uefa Cup ties against Sevilla last season proved that totally.

Although Ramos has now fallen out with Monchi (the DoF) over how the style of play should evolve for Sevilla, as you say Ramos is well used to working with a Sporting Director and apparently know each other pretty well and got on well when that infamous meeting took place.  Ramos was Comolli's #1 choice and it seems he could be in place for the Carling Cup against Blackpool next week with Clive Allen and Alex Inglethorpe looking after training and the Blackburn game.

Poyet is Ramos's choice for his assistant, not Spurs, I have no idea how they know each other or just how good a coach Poyet is, though I do know he was coaching the u12's and doing his badges when he was at Spurs.  The encouraging thing I suppose is Ramos is very keen on fitness coaches, dieticians etc a la Wenger/Allardyce which MJ was never a great believer in.  MJ was never going to stay beyond this season though, even if the top table hadn't been caught with their trousers down in Spain.  Almost certain he will be taking over as Dutch national manager next summer when Van Basten moves on.

I assume you'll be requiring a change of user name shortly? ;)

Why is it everyone question manager who hasnt managed in the premiership? Benitez or Morinho hadnt managed in the premiership before they came here, so why shouldnt Ramos be a hit? Is the tempo to high for him, to physicall?