Spurs appoint Juande Ramos

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

TOTTENHAM have just found themselves Juan hell of a manager.

For Juande Ramos is the man Spurs have been crying out for years.

Think of Arsene Wenger, throw in a bit of Alex Ferguson and mix it up with Jose Mourinho — and you get Ramos.

Goals don't win games. Juande Ramos wins games!

Juande Ramos does not sleep. He waits!!

The chief export of Juande Ramos is victory!!!

When Juande Ramos does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down!!!!

Juande Ramos drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls!!!!!

Looking at his achievements before Sevilla, I'd say they were the Premiership equivalent of Curbishley at Charlton, Hughes at Blackburn, Redknapp at Portsmouth, Keegan at Manchester City and Tigana at Fulham.

A big, big problem for Spurs is that they seem to be a very leaky club when it comes to information coming out. Being owned by a company, a lot of people seem to have inside information, and are probably keen to show it off by blabbing to their mates in London wine bars. The likes of MJ on here seem to have a lot of detail, and the first approach to Ramos became public knowledge very quickly. It didn't have the status of rumour or speculation - it was hard fact. That completely undermined Jol's position, and he was a dead duck from then on.

On Wednesday, I spoke to a mate about the Monday game, and he told me that Jol had already negotiated a pay-off, and would go as soon as his successor had been secured. He's not particularly an ITK, or even a Spurs supporter. He just works in the City.

I know rumours circulate about every club, but it seems to be on a different scale at Spurs.

Personally I wouldn't pay £5m a year or whatever it is for an unproven manager.

Just had his achievments up on Soccer Saturday - not that impressive really

So if Big Sam won the Super Cup, Spanish cup, Uefa Cup twice and was within 2 weeks of winning the league that wouldnt be impressive?

So if Big Sam won the Super Cup, Spanish cup, Uefa Cup twice and was within 2 weeks of winning the league that wouldnt be impressive?

To be fair Seville had a good set up before he arrived. ;)

To be fair Seville had a good set up before he arrived. ;)

So have us and Spurs. They still hadnt won anything since the 40's.

It doesn't bode well that he has moved on from every club he's been at pretty sharpish, and he's done it to Sevilla after getting them into the Champions League and lifting 3 major trophies in two years (plus two super cups). Anyone would have thought he'd found his home there, but he's moved on again.

I think some people are being very harsh on his achievements before going to Sevilla though. He got Rayo Vallecano, a tiny club from the slums of southern Madrid, into the First Division and then into to the UEFA Cup and a respectable 9th in the league. He also got Logroñes promoted to the First Division and got Betis to 6th place and a UEFA Cup finish.

His CV before Sevilla is pretty good if not spectacular. The big questions will be about how he adapts to the Premier League, and whether he sticks around.

It doesn't bode well that he has moved on from every club he's been at pretty sharpish, and he's done it to Sevilla after getting them into the Champions League and lifting 3 major trophies in two years (plus two super cups). Anyone would have thought he'd found his home there, but he's moved on again.

I think some people are being very harsh on his achievements before going to Sevilla though. He got Rayo Vallecano, a tiny club from the slums of southern Madrid, into the First Division and then into to the UEFA Cup and a respectable 9th in the league. He also got Logroñes promoted to the First Division and got Betis to 6th place and a UEFA Cup finish.

His CV before Sevilla is pretty good if not spectacular. The big questions will be about how he adapts to the Premier League, and whether he sticks around.

He's a solid manager, potentially a great move for them. Just depends on whether he gets control of 1st team affairs or will people continue to stick their noses in where its not wanted.

I don't think the current spuds setup will allow him to get on with his job properly.

Its not THAT impressive, the Spanish Cup has the standing of the League Cup really, Real and Barca don't exactly treat it as a priority.

I'll give him the UEFA cup, but they weren't exactly invincible on theose runs, and one final was against Boro, the other won on penalties!

The Super Cup? Glorified Charity Shield.

Souness won more as a manager!

Ramos creates success and respect with his taciturn tactical mastery

· Sevilla quick to challenge big clubs thanks to coach

· Spanish experts say Spurs are on to a very good thing

Sid Lowe in Madrid

Saturday October 27, 2007

The Guardian

At a pre-season camp last summer Sevilla's players trained with masking tape over their mouths. It was a protest at the latest imposition by a demanding coach, Juande Ramos, but it was an oddly understated, respectful one.

The players registered their thoughts but none would actually speak out. Ramos commanded too much respect and if the burden was heavy, the squad recognised there was a reason. Sevilla have won five trophies in 15 months - statistically they are the world's best club.

Sevilla have won two Uefa Cups and the Copa del Rey and taken a first Champions League place. They made a challenge on the Spanish title that ended on the final day of last season. They play fast, attacking football of which Ramos is particularly proud. Not bad for a club that won nothing in over half a century, with a budget one 10th of Real Madrid's. Yet when Real sacked Fabio Capello and while the Barcelona board deliberated over Frank Rijkaard, one of the few names not thrown into the ring was that of Ramos.

Ramos was never a professional player, let alone a world-class one like Rijkaard. Hardly charismatic, he is respected and reasonably well-liked but rarely loved. That he is set to go to the Premier League is, says Juan Castro of Spain's best-selling newspaper, the sports daily Marca, "a surprise". He is thought too modest, too low-profile for such an adventure.

Ramos, by his own admission, comes from a similar mould to Rafael Benítez, whose success at Liverpool suggested he might succeed in England - a country where, he believes, hard work is granted greater reward. It is more than a year now since his representatives began making a concerted effort to raise his profile.

Nothing, though, raises a coach's profile like success. Ramos's intelligent, understated nature has played a part. "Juande is the most intuitive coach in Spanish football," says Martin Ainstein, who covers Spanish football for ESPN Argentina. "He understands the footballers' code perfectly. His simple, almost frugal language is the perfect metaphor for the way he sees football."

Ramos commands loyalty through simplicity and scrupulous fairness. He says: "The psychological part of the game is just as important as the physical and tactical side of it. You have to show the players that they can beat opponents who are better technically - with concentration, work, effort, unity and determination. Every win reinforces the belief the players have in the system and their own abilities."

Ramos had an exceptional squad thanks to the club's sporting director, Monchi, who made over €20m (£14m) profit on Julio Baptista and paid just €1m (£700,000) for Daniel Alves, for whom Chelsea offered over €30m (£21m) last summer. But Ramos also overachieved at Rayo Vallecano, Real Betis and Málaga.

Sevilla twice finished fifth before Ramos took them a step further. His reading of opponents, says Julen Lopetegui, who played under him at Rayo, is second to none. "He is the most intelligent I have played under, a genius at analysing the situation and then using the arms he has at his disposal to change the situation. In each game he makes four or five tactical decisions which prove to be decisive."

Ramos is no dour, tactical coach. His sides play with speed and width, wingers complemented by attacking full-backs. "He loves to get the ball into the penalty area early, after five or six touches," says the former Bolton striker Salva Ballesta, who played under Ramos at Málaga. "He is the best coach I have worked with. I would highlight his professionalism. He makes the players work with a huge physical and psychological intensity[exactly what we need]. His sessions are extremely demanding but he manages to make them fun.

"He is distant with the footballers but has their respect and their affection. He is not a guy who goes round beaming smiles. Maybe if he had been more media-friendly, he could have got a job at Madrid or Barcelona. But make no mistake, if Spurs sign him they will be signing a star."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2200251,00.html