Norwich appoint Roeder, Lee Clark goes too (and now Pattison on loan)

Guest alex

Guest Brewcastle

Good to see Roeder succeed at a club. It was obviously he had hard conditions the season at NUFC. The injurys wasn't not only an excuse.

Good to see Roeder succeed at a club. It was obviously he had hard conditions the season at NUFC. The injurys wasn't not only an excuse.

Difficult to argue with that like.

When seeing the mess we are in now, I really think we'd have done a lot better if the board only had bothered to support Roeder with the transfer money he evidently needed. He got far more out of a weaker squad than we have now (remember the team that held ManU to a draw?). Hell, we've already conceded as many goals this season as we did in all of 2006/2007. Not wanting him back, like, but although he didn't succeed, he didn't do any real harm, unlike the other two managers.

Guest Ian Cunningham

Just take a look at what Roeder has done this season at Norwich... bearing in mind that they were BOTTOM of the table before he took charge:

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/oform.html (those stats are from the last 8 matches, but their unbeaten run is something like 13 games now)

Credit where credit's due  :coolsmiley:

Here's us by the way : http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/oform.html

When seeing the mess we are in now, I really think we'd have done a lot better if the board only had bothered to support Roeder with the transfer money he evidently needed. He got far more out of a weaker squad than we have now (remember the team that held ManU to a draw?). Hell, we've already conceded as many goals this season as we did in all of 2006/2007. Not wanting him back, like, but although he didn't succeed, he didn't do any real harm, unlike the other two managers.

Roeder was a shit appointment. The fact the manager that followed him was arguably worse doesn't alter that.

Roeder strikes me as someone who would make a really good assistant manager, I don't think I've ever seen a manager as out of his depth as him here though, when he went on about the club only having 1 scout it yr obvious he stood no chance of turning the club around.

Roeder strikes me as someone who would make a really good assistant manager, I don't think I've ever seen a manager as out of his depth as him here though, when he went on about the club only having 1 scout it yr obvious he stood no chance of turning the club around.

Agree with what you say but I think Roeder would have alright given time if he had been given a) a transfer pot when it was obvious that he needed one and b) a DoF to have bought the players.  Roeder's ability was getting the players he had to play, not deciding who should be bought to be added to the squad.  It's all water under the bridge now but I wish him well.  TBH, I can't see Keegan's appointment being any more successful than Roeder's.

Interesting last point.  I can ultimately see Keegan's appointment being more successful.  Basically because he will have the 2 things you say Roeder lacked a) a transfer pot and b) some people to find better players.  You really should keep up

Agree with what you say but I think Roeder would have alright given time if he had been given a) a transfer pot when it was obvious that he needed one and b) a DoF to have bought the players.  Roeder's ability was getting the players he had to play, not deciding who should be bought to be added to the squad.  It's all water under the bridge now but I wish him well.  TBH, I can't see Keegan's appointment being any more successful than Roeder's.

Actually I think Roeder's transfer market ability is a lot stronger than his tactics/motivation. He wasn't that bad with us considering that he had a small kitty. He got Martins, Sibi, last-minute hijacked Duff off Spurs (didn't turn out to be a good idea but still, loved it at the time), and managed to sell Boumsong and Faye for decent money. He seems to have made plenty of keen buys at Norwich as well. The man's got a lot of connections in English football and seems to have a decent idea of how to do business. (Stop and count to ten if you're thinking of a Dirk Kuyt joke.)

Tactically we all know he's nothing special and his motivational skills seem to work for some players (Oba, Milner) but also fail miserably for others (Carr, Parker, Zog)

If anything he'd make an excellent DoF.

btw, Martin Jol you sounded eerily like a Newcastle fan in that post.

I disagree, Roeder is a decent spotter of talent imo. he was just far too cautious when it came to bringing players in, ridiculously so actually. coming out on bbc radio newcastle and publicly saying he is turning down campbell cos of his age goes down as one of his worst moments. he is not a natural risk taker i reckon, look how many times he scouted Kuyt, farcical really.

mind, it didnt help that Shepherd didn't really give him full-backing, roeder couldnt even bring in scouts while he was in charge and after he left shepherd basically admitted that roeder was a stopgap and hed wanted allardyce all along. he has demonstrated an ability to spot young players tho, look at some of the youngsters he has brought to norwich on loan. i think his problem is not having enough natural authority or charisma, which plays a large part in being a manager. some people just arent innately cut out for the job at the highest level and he is one of them. he is better suited dealing with lower level players and youngsters which is perhaps why he's doing a better job now.

tactically i think he is pretty good, generally puts players in their proper position while has some good ideas about the modern game (ie the importance of pace and quick passing frrom the back) However roeder has a massive problem when it comes to reacting to events on the pitch and making snap decisions. going into a game the team would look pretty good but as soon as the opposition changed strategy Roeder would look like a deer in headlights. we tended to start well loads of times and tend fall to pieces late on. great example of this is the Alkmaar tie, first leg he's done his homework and we played them off the park. 2nd leg when van gaal had time to assess our team and target our weaknesses roeder didnt have a clue how to respond. think this is the same weakness manifesting itself, his over-caution, that scuppers his ability in the transfer market.

personally i think norwich will continue to do well this season but stagnate the next. roeder has a hard time continuing momentum and motivating players. at the minute he is fresh and new, brought in a shitload of new players and staff, new approaches to things, the side are on a run so he doesnt need to do anything special to get them going. when things go a bit wrong and he has to create the momentum himself he tends to fail. perhaps why he does well in his first season and not so good in his 2nd, at West Ham and here.

I disagree, Roeder is a decent spotter of talent imo. he was just far too cautious when it came to bringing players in, ridiculously so actually. coming out on bbc radio newcastle and publicly saying he is turning down campbell cos of his age goes down as one of his worst moments. he is not a natural risk taker i reckon, look how many times he scouted Kuyt , farcical really.

mind, it didnt help that Shepherd didn't really give him full-backing, roeder couldnt even bring in scouts while he was in charge and after he left shepherd basically admitted that roeder was a stopgap and hed wanted allardyce all along. he has demonstrated an ability to spot young players tho, look at some of the youngsters he has brought to norwich on loan. i think his problem is not having enough natural authority or charisma, which plays a large part in being a manager. some people just arent innately cut out for the job at the highest level and he is one of them. he is better suited dealing with lower level players and youngsters which is perhaps why he's doing a better job now.

tactically i think he is pretty good, generally puts players in their proper position while has some good ideas about the modern game (ie the importance of pace and quick passing frrom the back) However roeder has a massive problem when it comes to reacting to events on the pitch and making snap decisions. going into a game the team would look pretty good but as soon as the opposition changed strategy Roeder would look like a deer in headlights. we tended to start well loads of times and tend fall to pieces late on. great example of this is the Alkmaar tie, first leg he's done his homework and we played them off the park. 2nd leg when van gaal had time to assess our team and target our weaknesses roeder didnt have a clue how to respond. think this is the same weakness manifesting itself, his over-caution, that scuppers his ability in the transfer market.

personally i think norwich will continue to do well this season but stagnate the next. roeder has a hard time continuing momentum and motivating players. at the minute he is fresh and new, brought in a shitload of new players and staff, new approaches to things, the side are on a run so he doesnt need to do anything special to get them going. when things go a bit wrong and he has to create the momentum himself he tends to fail. perhaps why he does well in his first season and not so good in his 2nd, at West Ham and here.

Ultimately he was right on that though

I disagree, Roeder is a decent spotter of talent imo. he was just far too cautious when it came to bringing players in, ridiculously so actually. coming out on bbc radio newcastle and publicly saying he is turning down campbell cos of his age goes down as one of his worst moments. he is not a natural risk taker i reckon, look how many times he scouted Kuyt , farcical really.

Ultimately he was right on that though

dunno about that, apparently him and shepherd went over to ireland ready to buy him, only to find out he wanted nowt to do with us.

When Roeder had more players to chose from we played worse and got beat more often, that's the sign of a shite manager, Souness was the same.

When Roeder had more players to chose from we played worse and got beat more often, that's the sign of a s**** manager, Souness was the same.

maybe we should have got roeder back till the summer then got keegan ?

I disagree, Roeder is a decent spotter of talent imo. he was just far too cautious when it came to bringing players in, ridiculously so actually. coming out on bbc radio newcastle and publicly saying he is turning down campbell cos of his age goes down as one of his worst moments. he is not a natural risk taker i reckon, look how many times he scouted Kuyt, farcical really.

Just exactly how do we know that the reason why we didn't get any players was that Roeder was too cautious, and not the fat one dragging his heels? I've seen people here calling him a liar for saying he was trying to get three or four players in and then ending with Gooch, which I find quite ridiculous. It's not like no one would notice at the end of the transfer window. A liar knows what he can get away with.

I can't stand Roeder personally. I quite like 'Narge' though (one of my best mates is a fan too) so I'm slightly torn on this one. Plus, as SLP said on TT, it's Roeder all over, great 1st season, shit thereafter.

I live in Norwich and have seen them play a few times this year. Unquestionably Roeder has improved the squad, given them self belief and changed their approach to games - rather like he did here. Like others have said, this is what he has a great track record for, turning clubs in difficulty around and then imploding the following season.

I'm no Roeder fan though and have no delusions about his time here - he was made to look remotely competent after the Souness farce and the momentum that took us into Europe - which I put more down to the Souness cloud being lifted.

Tactically naive and seemed far too weak and pathetic to cut it as a premiership manager. The Championship is his level.