Souness Vs Roeder

Dokko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

With both men offering their services to other clubs recently, and one of them securing a new challenge i'd thought i'd put the following question to a poll:

If someone asked you to choose one over the other to manage their club, which one would you choose?

Roeder, he ended up doing shite but he got us out of the shit which souness put us in  :thup:

Would be about my response, but its funny how Bolton were looking at Souness while poor Roeder has got the worst job going in the Championship.

Seems a bit unfair.

Roeder, he ended up doing shite but he got us out of the shit which souness put us in  :thup:

Would be about my response, but its funny how Bolton were looking at Souness while poor Roeder has got the worst job going in the Championship.

Seems a bit unfair.

I suppose looking at their full CV means souey still carries some weight where as roeder doesnt really have any "past glories" to go on about

Souness.

Easy to put on the tinted specs seeing how shit he was with us, but he's been proven at other clubs.

When will Glenn Roeder ever manage a team to win a trophy?  Never.

When will Souness win another trophy?

You are seriously saying as a manager you'd recommend Souness over Roeder?

would Glenn Roeder be fooled into signing someone he was told was George Weah's cousin and a Ghanian international.  Only to find the lads probably never kicked a ball in his life.

I've always disliked Souness before he came here, and the dislike turned to hate when he was here.

Roeder for the above reason and the fact he is a much more likeable character.

Souness has rescued Southampton from relegation, brought up and kept up Blackburn Rovers, won a few trophies in a few countries, has developed one or two very good youngsters at most of the clubs he has managed, purchased players with big reputations, and has a winning and battling mentality that rubs off on some of the players, especially the young British ones.

Roeder has done none of this, and shares many of the bad attributes of Souness in addition to an inability to take the initiative.

Roeder is better tactically, probably knows more about football, is more ideas-driven, but has no personality or authority so will always fall short in the end, regardless of the level he manages at. probably better in another role away from the players and media.

Souness has a strong personality, will get people riled up, which is not always a good thing, is fairly charismatic, but no matter how good the players at his disposal will never get the best out of them, while his personality will always end up causing more problems than it solves. at least at lower levels his bravado and bombast might work. wrecked liverpool and newcastle, two top teams when he took over, neither have fully recovered from his reign.

Roeder by miles.

He wasn't good enough and did resort to going down the same road as Souness by blaming injuries. But he does at least appear to be a decent, likeable bloke. I bear no ill-will towards him and hope that things do work out for him.

Souness on the other hand is an absolute c**t.

If it was a Mackem asking me to choose between them for their next manager, I'd choose Souness.

Roeder is better tactically, probably knows more about football, is more ideas-driven, but has no personality or authority so will always fall short in the end, regardless of the level he manages at. probably better in another role away from the players and media.

Souness has a strong personality, will get people riled up, which is not always a good thing, is fairly charismatic, but no matter how good the players at his disposal will never get the best out of them, while his personality will always end up causing more problems than it solves. at least at lower levels his bravado and bombast might work. wrecked liverpool and newcastle, two top teams when he took over, neither have fully recovered from his reign.

I agree with this. Souness had a terrible fitness regime (even if you disregard the injuries -- how many times did we come back from behind to get even a draw under him?) and no apparent tactics. He also spent £18M on Luque and Boumsong. He's got far more authority, though. I'd recommend him to teams struggling to stay in the Premiership, like Sunderland and Tottenham. Roeder is probably not a Premier League quality manager at all, but I'm not so sure he would fail with a youth team or in the lower divisions, with fewer primadonnas.