Pompey (h) Pre Match Thread

Kev

Vital that we win this one.

Given

Beye  Caçapa  Faye  Enrique

Geremi  Butt  Emre  N'Zogbia

Martins  Owen

Subs: Harper, Rozehnal, Barton, Milner, Smith

Incredibly strong bench, that. Viduka might even make the squad too - what's his current situation? If he's is fit, then have him in the first team, and Martins on the bench. No question about that, in my opinion - if Viduka's fit and we're at home, he has to play.

I think Barton was clearly not ready to be thrown straight into the mix having only just come back - he looked thoroughly out of shape and it's needless 'risking' it, when Butt's performing so well at home, and Emre generally fairs better at St James' too. Give him twenty minutes if possible. 

I think we'll win this one - just. 2-1. A defender will score.....

I would guess that the last match might give Allardyce the excuse he needs to drop Owen or Martins and play with a target man, i.e. Viduka or Smith.

Given

Beye Cacapa Faye Enrique

Milner Barton Butt  N'Zogbia

Owen Martins

I think that this will prove to be our strongest first 11.  On paper it is a good enough team to give pretty much anyone in the premier league a good game.

Should be played home and away, exactly the same.

Can't really decide on my preffered XI. Smith has done well upfront, and I wouldn't mind seeing him there on Saturday. However, I don't want to drop Martins or Owen.

Got another problem with the central midfield. Wouldn't mind seeing Barton/Emre, but it might be a bit too attacking, especially as Pompey is a good team. So, I'd probably prefer either Geremi/Emre or Geremi/Barton for this one.

Unless, we go for the unspeakable 4-3-3 with Geremi or Butt as holding midfielder, and Barton and Emre in front of him with Smith, Owen and Oba upfront. That, however, leaves out or player of the season so far, N'Zogbia, so I probably wouldn't want that either...

Gonna have to combat their midfield strength of Muntari and Diop so i can see Emre missing this one out, especially after his textbook no show away from home, last weekend.

I'd also bring Smith back in for Oba. Owen and Oba doesnt look a great partnership and I think its easier for SA to drop the latter. I think he'll start with:

Given

Beye

Cacapa

Faye

Enrique

Geremi

Barton

Butt

N'zogbia

Owen

Smith

Subs- Harper, Rozehnal, Milner, Taylor, Martins

I think our good home record and the fact that Pompey generally play up here like a bunch of mongs, will just see us nick it 2-1.

Seeing Viduka looks as though he may not be back so our long ball game will suffer, we could just go all out attack!!

--------------Given

Beye--Cacapa---Faye---Emrique

---------------Roze

-----Barton------------Emre

----Owen-----Smith-----Martins

4-2

OR

--------------Given

Beye--Cacapa---Faye---Enrique

Milner--Barton--Emre----Zoggy

--------Owen-----Martins

4-3

My personal choice would be...

--------------Given

Beye--Cacapa---Faye---Enrique

Milner--Barton--Roze----Zoggy

-------Smith-----Martins

3-0

BENCH

Harper

Taylor

Butt

Geremi

Owen

Portsmouth 1-0 down at the moment at home to Blackburn in the Carling Cup. Our lack of a midweek fixture should help us in this game, as it did against Everton when they had a midweek UEFA match.

Everton were away in the Ukraine, like.

Portsmouth 1-0 down at the moment at home to Blackburn in the Carling Cup. Our lack of a midweek fixture should help us in this game, as it did against Everton when they had a midweek UEFA match.

Everton were away in the Ukraine, like.

Aye that's true, but it's something we can look to take advantage of if we play at a high tempo.