Given out for three weeks, Harper in then

Crumpy Gunt

I was all for keeping Harper in goal when Given was brought back but it's a pity that he's now injured again after getting a chance to play himself in, not that he's done much.  I wonder how Harper feels about coming back, will he think he can play a blinder then find himself back on the bench once Given is fit again?

That's the whole problem Mick - he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place.

Given has hardly covered himself in glory since he got back into the side and Harper must feel that whatever he does, he will be out again when Given is fit

Hardly going to fill him full of confidence, is it !?

Harper being dropped along with Geremi being made skipper were 2 of Allardyce's worst decisions in my opinion - neither has been to the benefit of the team or team spirit.

It's great that we have 2 such accomplished goalies, but for me Given is the better of the 2. OK, he's made mistakes this season. But Harper has made them in the past as well.

As for us signing Jussi - Really don't want to see that. OK, he's a decent goalie, but both Given and Harper are better IMO and we'd gain nothing by signing him.

i have noticed that (mostly) everyone here seems to be very pro- harper, but im sure if you look at the previous thread, everyone is saying given. i yoyo between the 2 and personally cant make my mind up but i must say shay has been bettr over the years, yet the defence seems to act better for harps. id love to see harps take the shirt tbh but not if its because of shay being injured. good luck to harps hope he defies the doubters.

Wow, can't believe people are saying good to this, its quite ridiculous, but then again as soon as Harper makes a mistake (History shows he drops some clangers) then we will see what some people say. There is clearly no comparison between the 2 keepers, i doubt that Harper would ever have got into the PL's team of the season, if he had started as many as Shay. Who says football fans aren't fickle.

why isnt given popular anymore? if its the few mistakes he's made this season then i refer you back to the 10 or so from harper last season which cost us goals.

Exactly.

It's not like Given's one mistake asctually cost us the match.

What a crock of shit, do we drop Owen then because he missed a chance once, years ago?

Allardyce has clearly started here with them both on an equal standing. He's picking who he thinks is playing best RIGHT NOW. If he thinks that's Harper then so be it.

f****** yes yes yes  :lol:

I never want any of our players injured but i just really want to see Harper play

Why? lets hope we are winning because he will take 30seconds per kick that goes his way

Anyone who doesn't think Given is better than Harper needs their heads checked, tbh.  Saying that, if Given is injurred fair enough, Harper was decent last time he filled in.

As for "Shay out - Jussi in" Christ no.  I'd even have Harper as number 2 instead of Jaaskelainen.  Have you seen him this season?  Terrible. 

Shay out, Jussi in - In January?

That would up-set a lot of locals. I rate Jussi very highly but Given had been better over the years imo.

Out of the 2 ,and i think we all agree on this that over a season Shay will be more consistent and betterb than Jusi but that on their best days,Jussi can be better than Shay.Just that Jussi makes more fuck ups per season than Shay who i wouldnt swap for anyone tbh.

I would be pissed if sam does that,no way in hell Jaaskelain is any where near as good as Given!Pissed of Givens out,Harpers not in the same league as Given!For all you idiots whose saying Given should not being playing where have you being for the last 4 or 5 seasons??

I would be pissed if sam does that,no way in hell Jaaskelain is any where near as good as Given!Pissed of Givens out,Harpers not in the same league as Given!For all you idiots whose saying Given should not being playing where have you being for the last 4 or 5 seasons??

Yeah i totally agree ,he's probably saved us at least 10 points a season.Which is scary considering last years finish.

Guest optimistic nit

if sam does sell given he better know that there will be a fuck load of pressure on both him and jussi. Lazarus, although out of form,  has been our best player for 5 years and selling him for an inconsistant player such as jussi will be stupid. If he was to do it, Jussi would have the pressure of replacing shay on his head from day one.

Guest Joephix

Given's better.  No need for people to rage at him, after all it is the manager who picks the team.

^ this.  Why the fuck was harper in?