Would you be comfortable if we 'bought' the title?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Assuming for a second that:

1. Ashley genuinely wants us to win the league within five years (see snippets thread).

2. We could get the manager that would win us the league (I don't want to argue about whether or not Allardyce is that man).

3. We spent shitloads of Ashley's own money, Chelsea-style, and actually got within a chance of winning the league;

...would you be happy with it all?

Before anyone starts, I realise it'd be a massive, massive acheivement to win the league regardless of the money spent, but I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable with it.

I don't think we can afford to be picky tbh!

I'd love to win the League. Full stop. How it's achieved would be pretty much irrelevant. :)

I suspect many will agree, especially given our ridiculous silverware drought.

I just wouldn't like a 'our new owner has more money than your owner' method of ranking.

I voted Yes(as would any sane person), but the way things are right now, it would take all of Abramovitch's money, let alone Ashley's, for this team to get anywhere NEAR the title - I regret to say that I am coming round to the opinion of those who think we'll never win ANYTHING, let alone the Prem .Its all gone on too long, and as was stated by some on another site, some of us are getting too long in the tooth to ever hope of seeing it happen - at least I HAVE seen us win a trophy in 69, so I can't grumble as much as others, but there should have been far more than just that..there have been too many false dawns and football has changed irrevocably over the past 10 years, to our detriment - we blew our chance of being a member of the Top 4 back in 96, and that was the 'Last Hurrah' in my opinion ; results such as we have seen over the past few weeks have been as poor as anything in the past, and some of the football worse.

Its a pointless thread really, as we haven't GOT the cash to buy the title - even with Ashley.

These days most title wins are due to money - chelsea most definitely, and Man U spend millions upon millions to make sure they stay up there. I would love to see Arsenal win it this year having not spent so much and for the style they would win it in.

If we were to buy loads of world class players and "buy" the title I would be ok with it. If we bought it AND played awesome attacking football I would love it and would not care at all about the money spent. It must be depressing for Chelsea fans to have had the chance of unlimited resources at one stage and to now be regarded as one of the more boring teams in the league.

Of course I would be fucking happy.

Why not start another thread "Would you be happy if you won the lottery"

Obviously I would prefer to win it with homegrown kids taking teams apart with cavalier football, but any way we win it, I'd be over the fucking moon.

Of course I would be fucking happy.

Why not start another thread "Would you be happy if you won the lottery"

Obviously I would prefer to win it with homegrown kids taking teams apart with cavalier football, but any way we win it, I'd be over the fucking moon.

:rolleyes:

Seems like I'm too romantic then.

These days most title wins are due to money - chelsea most definitely, and Man U spend millions upon millions to make sure they stay up there. I would love to see Arsenal win it this year having not spent so much and for the style they would win it in.

If we were to buy loads of world class players and "buy" the title I would be ok with it. If we bought it AND played awesome attacking football I would love it and would not care at all about the money spent. It must be depressing for Chelsea fans to have had the chance of unlimited resources at one stage and to now be regarded as one of the more boring teams in the league.

It's largely Man Utd's own money though. They earnt it, why not spend it?

The point about Chelsea is pertinent. Why can't they fill their ground whilst being title contenders?

I'm going to say No.

Don't get me wrong, winning the league or a cup would be an amazing feeling, but I think dishing out hundreds of millions to get to that place would lose some of the pride from the achievement - which I don't believe any Newcastle supporter would want.

You look at Chelsea and see what Roman Abramovich has done to them - from financial woe to instant championship success. Apart from the odd cup, there wasn't really anything that separated Chelsea from Newcastle before there takeover, so I see no reason why we couldn't win all those trophies if in a similar situation, even though we have wasted so much money over the years and we have got nothing out of it. But why would we want that? I don't know how any of you see Chelsea, but all I see when they win something is them just handing over a cheque and receiving a trophy. There is no pride, or at least on the inside i've got to believe.

I think we should see where Ashley takes us over the next few years, because I have the belief that we won't just take a tactical approach to winning on the field, but also behind the scenes with Ashley's business mind. I would be proud of us winning a trophy if we haven't just spent 50-60mil per transfer window for the next 2-3 years, but spent wisely - perhaps the Big Sam way?

Have faith and don't just settle for a cheque=trophy transaction - that's not what Newcastle are about!

Assuming for a second that:

1. Ashley genuinely wants us to win the league within five years (see snippets thread).

2. We could get the manager that would win us the league (I don't want to argue about whether or not Allardyce is that man).

3. We spent shitloads of Ashley's own money, Chelsea-style, and actually got within a chance of winning the league;

...would you be happy with it all?

Before anyone starts, I realise it'd be a massive, massive acheivement to win the league regardless of the money spent, but I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable with it.

I'd be happy enough to have won the league, but in the back of my mind I would know it wasn't 100% kosher.

Say we had won the league under Keegan that season we had a 9 point lead only to blow it. I'd have been ecstatic then, 100% kosher.

But the league has also changed since then, I don't think what Keegan (almost) accomplished is possible again. Some big money would have to be spent by anyone winning the league these days I suspect... but would 'just love it' to be proven wrong.

I don't think everyone understands what I mean. All clubs spend money, some more than others. We have been one of the big spenders for a good while now.

I meant specifically spending masses of Ashley's own money now we have a wealthy owner to gain access to the upper echelons of the league.

i'm sure i've done a thread similar to this. anyway you have to back to 1960 and burnley to find the last time a largely home grown team won the league. i know manu utd had scholes,beckham,giggs and the nevilles but also scmichael,bruce,pallister,irwin etc from outside.

i'd be uncomfortable but would  live with it,even more uncomfortable if we went the arsenal route and didn't have any englsih/brits in the team.

Guest icemanblue

For sure.  100%. Without a doubt.

Winning the league is winning the league.  I'd be prepared to mentally block out the 'how' if neccessary.