Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

I was impressed with him today, when he went to the dugout he was very active in his encouragement, motivation and management of the players. Lots of 'get out', 'keep it', 'get closer', 'pass pas pass' comments and at the end, acknowledging the crowd, he made all the players and staff clap all four stands.

I thought he got his subs spot on as well, in terms of timing and the players he brought on. Tactically we look far superior to Pardew's Newcastle and I thought we played some decent football at times, especially from the back.

I like seeing our keeper pass it out rather than boot it out and I like seeing our team, despite being down to 10 men, not crumble, look solid and have good spells of movement and threat.

We badly need a decent left-back though and it has to be one of either Anita or Colback, not both as they are both very similar and got in the way of one another at times.

We started the game badly though, too many long balls early on and too much ball watching. We also need to strengthen. We need a LB and another striker, preferably one with mobility and pace to get in behind. Mitrovic looks clumsy and one paced.

The red was harsh, as it was a clumsy tackle and not an intentional reckless one. That said, his studs connected so it was one of those that could easily be given and that's exactly what happened.

He needs to calm down like.

Back to the match, Pardew would have subbed of Thauvin after we went down to 10 and that's what I thought McClaren would have done, but he seems to trust his players a lot more. He's no striker, but keeping him on in that kind of role shows confidence in his player from the manager, trusting he can still do a job.

Good stuff and there were lots of promising signs.

However its a results business and we need to start winning. We cannot be down there come January fighting a relegation battle.

He looked absolutely flabbergasted after Colo's yellow, did well to restrain himself at full time.

That's because it was a perfectly good tackle. Everyone is blowing a gasket about Mitro, but at least that was actually a foul and the studs were showing, so it wasn't THAT surprising that the ref pulled a red, even if it was harsh.

We badly need a decent left-back though

is this real life?  haidara has looked great in the last two games since they took obertan away from him :lol:

Was just thinking this, was impressed with him today :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

is this real life?  haidara has looked great in the last two games since they took obertan away from him :lol:

I thought he was all over the place today and he was very sloppy in possession. He's young and has potential, but he's not ready. We need an established left-back, someone solid and dependable.

Thought we started fine, tbh. Got stuck in, created a good opening, some good moves. We were just getting into our rhythm when Arsenal decided they didn't like being touched.

interesting, thought we had about a good 30 seconds then they took total control until the sending off

Think I'm just in fuming mode :lol: Certainly remember some promising moments from us before the sending off. They were obviously getting more possession but I wasn't too worried about that. Will have to watch it back.

I thought he was all over the place today and he was very sloppy in possession. He's young and has potential, but he's not ready. We need an established left-back, someone solid and dependable.

i think we watched 2 different players, he was excellent today

Was just thinking this, was impressed with him today :thup:

he looks quality to me :thup:

was it giroud he muscled off the ball near end?  ronaldo approves

I watched the same game as you tbf.

Guest Howaythetoon

Whenever he got forward he either over hit a cross out of play, hit a pass too hard or dilly dallied and got robbed. He put in one or two good tackles and blocks, but several times he was ball watching and gave up too much space and time to his man. I just don't see much in either aspect of his game, attacking or defensively.

Whenever he got forward he either over hit a cross out of play, hit a pass too hard or dilly dallied and got robbed. He put in one or two good tackles and blocks, but several times he was ball watching and gave up too much space and time to his man. I just don't see much in either aspect of his game, attacking or defensively.

fair enough, i disagree

Haidara did well when it came to interceptions, getting back in front of his attacker and defending, but his lack of quality in every thing else was worrying.

Poor decision making, and his passing and distribution was just flat out horrendous.

Seasons gone by you'd be looking at the points & table and starting to worry. I don't feel that this time, you can see what we're trying to do and a clear plan.

Not at 4 games in, and with the teams we have had to play you wouldn't. Get a grip, every team we have played this season finished in the top 8, we have played half of last years top 8.

Seasons gone by you'd be looking at the points & table and starting to worry. I don't feel that this time, you can see what we're trying to do and a clear plan.

Not at 4 games in, and with the teams we have had to play you wouldn't. Get a grip, every team we have played this season finished in the top 8, we have played half of last years top 8.

Aye not worried yet. Quite confident if anything.

Aye not worried yet. Quite confident if anything.

We are 4 games in, I wouldn't be worried this stage at all, unless we were getting crap results and not putting in decent performances.

Our performances have been decent, only against Swansea can you say we let ourselves down, even then had we not got the red card we looked like getting back into it. Performances matter more than results at this stage, unless your playing shit teams. The only team in the league who should be concerned is Sunderland because they have lost against two of their relegation rivals and have put in poor performances. Even then you can say that it's early days and things could click for them.