Steve McClaren

Dave

McClaren has actually won a couple of things in the game, that automatically makes him better.

So it makes him better than Keegan also does it going by your comparison?

Does it not mean McClaren's better than Pardew?

You could sy who has the highest  league position in England if you want to put it that way and say Pardew is but I'm not I am just saying they are both equally as s***. But of course you obviously think McC;aren is better than Keegan then. I look at the who picture when I'm comparing.

The initial comparison is between McClaren and Pardew, when comparing the two directly, the fact that one has won things makes him better because they're somewhat level in other areas. That's still taking into account the bigger picture. If you asked me to compare Keegan and McClaren then I'd say Keegan because he can do more with an NUFC team than McClaren.

So you're using winning more trophies when comparing one manager and then saying that doesn't apply to when you compare with another manager. Yeah right lmao-  just do like for like and give an argument as to league positions he has achieved in England which is where Newcastle play. Pardew got to a final of the FA Cup, he finished 5th in the league and is 6th in the league presently but do I say he is a good manager no but he as an overall better league record than McClaren though. You're trying to tell me that one s*** manager is better than another s*** manager and trying to use a League Cup win and a league championship in the Dutch league and yet when I say well if you're using that measure that also applies with someone like Keegan who never won a trophy or a league championship (and not when we were promoted either before you raise that) you try and say no it's not the same - yes it is.

I don't think it's hard to grasp, tbh. McClaren's wins as a manager separate himself from Pardew. Keegan's qualities were different so the winning stuff argument doesn't really apply. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree, I just don't think they're in the same bracket, doesn't mean I think either are truly good enough.

He needs to drop Anita AND Colback and give Cisse a partner. Sissoko wide right is shite too, he needs to play CM and get Aarons wide on one flank and Thauvin on the other and start playing down the wings and getting crosses in.

Last night was very poor, almost Pardew poor.

The squad is horrifically unbalanced, it's almost impossible to play our best players all at once and there's one set for one style of football and now another lot for another. The other issue is too many players without real positions and defined roles. It's a fucking mess.

:thup:

Guest reefatoon

Looks like he is lap dancing for Tony Hayers

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/09/15/21/2C522C1300000578-0-image-a-6_1442349092529.jpg

You are right about not being able to fit our best players on the pitch and into a system to suit. I honestly think a 433 would probably suit our players better but would mean no place for de Jong, a 4411 would also be something we could look to do with widemen and dejong/ayoze dropping between midfield and the forward.

4231 is just not happening for us and is making the players position themsleves too deep, i can't understand why we aren't asking colo or mbemba to bring the ball our further forward with more options in midfield up the pitch, our defenders are all capable of bringing the ball out. I am a bit sick of seeing our two central midfielders two yard in front of the defense and huge gaps to those further forward....

You are right about not being able to fit our best players on the pitch and into a system to suit. I honestly think a 433 would probably suit our players better but would mean no place for de Jong, a 4411 would also be something we could look to do with widemen and dejong/ayoze dropping between midfield and the forward.

4231 is just not happening for us and is making the players position themsleves too deep, i can't understand why we aren't asking colo or mbemba to bring the ball our further forward with more options in midfield up the pitch, our defenders are all capable of bringing the ball out. I am a bit sick of seeing our two central midfielders two yard in front of the defense and huge gaps to those further forward....

It's not the formation itself that is making us drop deep, IMO, it's the personnel he's using. 4-3-3 is probably better suited to us, but a 4-2-3-1 should become a 4-3-3 of sorts anyway when we're moving forward with the ball. I don't mind the splitting the CBs thing, let's players get wider and stretch teams but it requires a strong, creative CM that's comfortable taking riskier positions and a smart #10 to link through the middle.

Objectively speaking McClaren and Pardew are roughly in the same bracket whether you like it or not, with the latter being current flavour of the month for many non-NUFC fans you would imagine.

The crucial thing about BOTH of them is that they fit the Ashley mould...and that's all he cares about. They keep their mouths shut and let Carr/Charnley sign players that fit the Ashley criteria - likely to make money when sold on.

Other than that, and they would be out of a job.

What really gets me is that TOO MUCH of our play happens so close to the touchline, 45 yards or so away from the goal. It's almost the least goal-threatening position to be in. The amount of times the ball just goes out because we try too many intricate little passes is baffling. When you have a player like Sissoko out there as well, who doesn't have the best of touches in the world, it gets even worse.

I understand we sometimes need width, and need to spread the play out by having good overall pitch coverage, but f*** me I cannot understand how Pardew, Carver, and now McClaren it seems, can't see that is one of the major ways in which concede possession so cheaply.

I think he's got a few decisions to make to turn things around. Firstly the right midfield combination is a must, because what he's doing isn't working. Secondly he needs to pick strikers he can trust rather than a player who wants to be away then complain about it afterwards when he doesn't put in a full shift.

I know we are supposed to give him time and whatever, but if he plays Cisse or two defensive midfielders at home to Watford he can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. Give a manager time if you can see what he's trying to do, but if he just makes moronic decisions everyone can see won't work then he doesn't deserve time.

Guest reefatoon

I thought he would have changed it for the West Ham game. Was surprised and pissed off when I saw the line up.  Not feeling confident in him changing it for the weekend now, think the twat might stick with the same to try and prove some kind of point.

Andy, Andy Cole article! 

Bit about McClaren in there - canny read overall!

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/newcastle-united-long-tough-season-082240059.html

Really enjoyed that article. Cole really hit home there and brought some great memories back.

Agree very good read and not the usual crass and ignorant perspective you bet from most sources.

Surprised me coming from Cole, who has always seemed bitter or arrogant about his time with us. Fair play to him.

As for McClaren. Lose to Watford and the inevitable 2 defeats after and I think the pressure ramps. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike pulling the trigger quicker than many may think.