Steve McClaren

Dave

IMO the midfield is the best we can put out. No qualms about that.

What's this shit? We could easily drop Colback and move one of the "wide" men in to the middle, opening up room for Thauvin out wide.

I'd rather see Thauvin - Anita - Wijnaldum - Sissoko, than see Colback anywhere near a football pitch.

What's this s***? We could easily drop Colback and move one of the "wide" men in to the middle, opening up room for Thauvin out wide.

I'd rather see Thauvin - Anita - Wijnaldum - Sissoko, than see Colback anywhere near a football pitch.

I don't think either are CM's. Wijnaldum wants to play as a 10/forward. He wants to ghost into the box. He barely protects Dummett as it is, he won't protect the CB's. He's all about getting into great forward positions at CM in a 2 he has too much defensive responsibility. Doesn't seem like he wants to dictate the game with the ball either. So far, I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's going to be a good CM for us. He esentially has a free role in the team and that allows him to do when he does best - get in the box to score or assist.

What's this s***? We could easily drop Colback and move one of the "wide" men in to the middle, opening up room for Thauvin out wide.

I don't think either are CM's. Wijnaldum wants to play as a 10/forward. He wants to ghost into the box. He barely protects Dummett as it is, he won't protect the CB's. He's all about getting into great forward positions at CM in a 2 he has too much defensive responsibility. Doesn't seem like he wants to dictate the game with the ball either. So far, I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's going to be a good CM for us. He esentially has a free role in the team and that allows him to do when he does best - get in the box to score or assist.

we could always, you know, tell them to do things other than that they just want to do because they like it :lol:

i'm of the opinion it needs trying, ASAP, and if we can't/won't sign a proper CM in the window then it's an absolute fucking necessity

This laughable idea of a 'winning team' is hilarious. Both times we scored only when the hapless De Jong was taken off. I guess McClaren is taking this whole winning formula thing very literally after consulting with Tiote's witch doctor, that we must start with Cisse and De Jong who've combined together for a total of zero goals, to bring on the two guys who've actually scored and assisted for us this season.

The strikers were never a problem for us, yet it's the only position he keeps fucking around with while leaving the midfield the same dogshit same, game after game. Unimaginative, cowardly and backward.

I know it's a bit of a cliché - maybe even an undeserved excuse - but I don't think you can make judgements on McClaren's tactical/line-up choices until he's got a squad he can call his own.

Granted, he may never do so. And like the man before him, he'll be denied any sympathy if he allows 'the system' to dictate the quality of the squad. Nevertheless, at this point I'm hesitant to say he's this or that - be it reactionary, conservative, counter-attacking, 'cowardly' - whilst he's shackled by having to play two of our three centre-midfielders; none of whom were chosen by him and none of whom are remotely talented.

The entire shape and style of the team is shackled by the shit we have in that position. Whoever is playing, there's no attacking awareness, no eye for goal, no structured defensive play (aside from Anita who will hassle the man in possession), no physicality, no vision and nothing to lead by example. We've had worse players technically at CM in my time supporting the club, but as a double act, these lads offer as little as I've ever seen. I'm quite sure the only thing keeping Colback in the side is his vague ability to whip a dead ball in.

I know it's a bit of a cliché - maybe even an undeserved excuse - but I don't think you can make judgements on McClaren's tactical/line-up choices until he's got a squad he can call his own.

Granted, he may never do so. And like the man before him, he'll be denied any sympathy if he allows 'the system' to dictate the quality of the squad. Nevertheless, at this point I'm hesitant to say he's this or that - be it reactionary, conservative, counter-attacking, 'cowardly' - whilst he's shackled by having to play two of our three centre-midfielders; none of whom were chosen by him and none of whom are remotely talented.

The entire shape and style of the team is shackled by the shit we have in that position. Whoever is playing, there's no attacking awareness, no eye for goal, no structured defensive play (aside from Anita who will hassle the man in possession), no physicality, no vision and nothing to lead by example. We've had worse players technically at CM in my time supporting the club, but as a double act, these lads offer as little as I've ever seen. I'm quite sure the only thing keeping Colback in the side is his vague ability to whip a dead ball in.

Fair post.

Everton will smash us

So would Liverpool and Spurs. This team is pretty unpredictable at the minute.

Of course aye but taking this game on its own merit I think they will.  Looking at their right hand side, centre mid and of course the in form striker in the league. 

The entire shape and style of the team is shackled by the s*** we have in that position. Whoever is playing, there's no attacking awareness, no eye for goal, no structured defensive play (aside from Anita who will hassle the man in possession), no physicality, no vision and nothing to lead by example. We've had worse players technically at CM in my time supporting the club, but as a double act, these lads offer as little as I've ever seen. I'm quite sure the only thing keeping Colback in the side is his vague ability to whip a dead ball in.

Any manager who keeps playing 2 defensive midfielders even against a team with only 6 points and totally to the detriment to the team, continues to drop one of the best players of the team for no reason, continues to play players who are clearly are being outplayed in nearly every game in their position, continues to play players out of position and continues to not rectify obvious weakness of play which cost goals (i.e. Janmatt wandering) does not deserve anyone posting to say that people cannot make judgements. The bloke is a total fraud of a manager and deseves totally to be compared to Pardew and Carver and in fact if Pardew was still here there is no doubt the team would have more points on the board - yes even a worse manager than Pardew and that is saying something! 

The entire shape and style of the team is shackled by the s*** we have in that position. Whoever is playing, there's no attacking awareness, no eye for goal, no structured defensive play (aside from Anita who will hassle the man in possession), no physicality, no vision and nothing to lead by example. We've had worse players technically at CM in my time supporting the club, but as a double act, these lads offer as little as I've ever seen. I'm quite sure the only thing keeping Colback in the side is his vague ability to whip a dead ball in.

Any manager who keeps playing 2 defensive midfielders even against a team with only 6 points and totally to the detriment to the team, continues to drop one of the best players of the team for no reason, continues to play players who are clearly are being outplayed in nearly every game in their position, continues to play players out of position and continues to not rectify obvious weakness of play which cost goals (i.e. Janmatt wandering) does not deserve anyone posting to say that people cannot make judgements. The bloke is a total fraud of a manager and deseves totally to be compared to Pardew and Carver and in fact if Pardew was still here there is no doubt the team would have more points on the board - yes even a worse manager than Pardew and that is saying something! 

Fair post as well :lol:

I'm disgusted by him so far, but am willing to see if he does something about it in the January window. How he behaves and what kind of power he pulls in terms of signings is going to be a huge indication of what kind of man he is, and if he is willing to go up against his paymasters to demand for 'his' team.

Everton will smash us

Martinez has his way with Newcastle all the time, granted, it was Pardew and Carver for many years.

Everton will smash us

Martinez has his way with Newcastle all the time, granted, it was Pardew and Carver for many years.

didn't we beat them up here last year?

The bloke is a total fraud of a manager and deseves totally to be compared to Pardew and Carver and in fact if Pardew was still here there is no doubt the team would have more points on the board - yes even a worse manager than Pardew and that is saying something! 

Pardew would certainly have played hoofball right from the start, continued to tell players to have as little possession as possible because its too dangerous and focused 100% on counter attack in every game.  That would almost definitely have gotten us more points from the first several matches simply because we'd have conceded less.  But would I say that makes Pardew a better manager?, well I've disagreed with Mclaren quite often lately, but no I don't think he's worse than Pardew as a manager.

If this is the case then why persist with it game after game?  We could play a midfield three of Anita, Sissoko and Wijnaldum with Anita holding and Sissoko going box to box but over and over again we play this stupid 4-2-3-1 with Colback playing hide and don't seek in the middle.

If this is the case then why persist with it game after game?  We could play a midfield three of Anita, Sissoko and Wijnaldum with Anita holding and Sissoko going box to box but over and over again we play this stupid 4-2-3-1 with Colback playing hide and don't seek in the middle.

We'd get totally overrun in midfield playing those 3. For me it's vital we strengthen our central midfield in January because currently we get the worst of both worlds. Our back 4 doesn't get the protection it needs and there's also an alarming lack of creativity as well.

We'd get totally overrun in midfield playing those 3. For me it's vital we strengthen our central midfield in January because currently we get the worst of both worlds. Our back 4 doesn't get the protection it needs and there's also an alarming lack of creativity as well.

Is the ugly truth.

We've tried 4-3-3 a couple of times this season, with Gini and Sissoko in midfield, and it's looked awful. Watford being a prime example.

Wijnaldum and Sissoko are absolutely useless at doing anything physical and with our rubbish defence we simply can't afford to have people in there that won't compete in physical duels in a crucial area of the pitch. Anita and Colback might be utter shite but they get involved in that side of the game and offer something (even though it's still not good enough), whilst allowing Wijnaldum and Sissoko (two of our best players this year) more freedom to attack. We're also not in a position to piss about with formations any more, we've only looked remotely solid playing this shape, this season, everything else has been crap (and it's not like a few different formations have been tried). Of course, he's a 'disgusting' 'coward' for going for the only thing that's ever looked decent for us in the last year with this lot of players and trying to allow his attacking players more freedom...

The thing he does deserve stick for was still sticking with Cisse and de Jong up top for Villa. One of them should've been dropped, IMO, but I have no qualms about how he handled the situation a few weeks ago. We needed a change and he freshened up the one area we have competition in.

Barkley vs Colback too.

They're comfortably better than us in all departments.

We can say that when comparing our first XI (minus Howard) against most teams in the league tbf but it doesn't mean we'll get a result.

Martinez is completely incapable of organising the defence to have any sort of shape, solidity or ability to defend set pieces. That's why our only 2 league wins in 11 are against Sunderland & Villa.