Steve McClaren

Dave

Thauvin was worse than Sissoko on Monday.

Sissoko was our best starting player out of the entire midfield and Cisse, not exactly a keenly contested prize but wanting him dropped based on the performance in the last game in comparison to others is strange

He was terrible and cannot pass a ball. He runs in straight lines and is in no way a right winger.

Cisse even though he has a knack of getting goals harms our game in every other way. We need a forward to hold up and bring others into play. He really doesn't and barely troubles defenders at times when they need to be rattled. Perez and Mitrovic will do that

Sissoko is an odd player to single out from Monday night as playing badly. He was better than every starting player bar the back four. You say he runs in straight lines but that running in straight lines brought us further up the pitch when everybody else was happy to pass the ball sideways around the halfway line

It's not that odd when I have been saying it for last 2 years. We lack fluidity and he is part of the problem, not the only one as I have said in other posts that Cisse and Wijnaldum in number 10 means we lack a lot of guile, movement and threat in front 4.

Wijnaldum further back will work, Sissoko was tried there and is an odd player. Thauvin was terrible but on few games played and needs more time before judgement on his capabilities

I would try a 433 with Sissoko, Wijnaldum and either Tiote or Anita slightly behind them in the middle and then either Perez or De Jong as a striker, don't really want Perez or De Jong in that position but they'd do a better job than Cisse I think with Thauvin on the right and Perez/Aarons on the left

Thauvin was worse than Sissoko on Monday.

Sissoko was our best starting player out of the entire midfield and Cisse, not exactly a keenly contested prize but wanting him dropped based on the performance in the last game in comparison to others is strange

He was terrible and cannot pass a ball. He runs in straight lines and is in no way a right winger.

Cisse even though he has a knack of getting goals harms our game in every other way. We need a forward to hold up and bring others into play. He really doesn't and barely troubles defenders at times when they need to be rattled. Perez and Mitrovic will do that

Sissoko is an odd player to single out from Monday night as playing badly. He was better than every starting player bar the back four. You say he runs in straight lines but that running in straight lines brought us further up the pitch when everybody else was happy to pass the ball sideways around the halfway line

It's not that odd when I have been saying it for last 2 years. We lack fluidity and he is part of the problem, not the only one as I have said in other posts that Cisse and Wijnaldum in number 10 means we lack a lot of guile, movement and threat in front 4.

Wijnaldum further back will work, Sissoko was tried there and is an odd player. Thauvin was terrible but on few games played and needs more time before judgement on his capabilities

I'm not even sure what running in straight lines means. Does he even do that? I quite often seeing him cutting inside, especially if he goes across to the left wing. How is that a straight line?

If McLaren's "everyone's position is under threat" bollocks means the return of Obertan and the the continuation of Colback, I'll have to switch my brain off tomorrow as soon as the lineup is announced. Actually, I'd still suffer through it as long as Perez is fucking starting finally.

Did McClaren ever have a daliance with 3-5-2 down the Burra?

http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2003-05/steve-mcclaren-1951840.aspx

Q: Since your half time change during the 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge in the 01/02 season, I've been convinced 3-5-2 (or 5-3-2) was the best formation for the Boro. It seems to allow us to play the composed, skilled football that the class acts in our team are capable of, without leaving either the defence and/or attack isolated. With the recent success it has brought then, why did you believe using it against Everton (in the Carling Cup), was a risk?

Mike, Cambridge

Steve McClaren: At the start of the season we found it difficult to find a system to accommodate our players because of the width we missed. It was an ideal opportunity against Everton to try a new formation wich gave us solidity at the back, width in the middle and two up front, and we got results from it. But we have to remain flexible with so many games coming up against different opposition systems. That is something that has worked for us and will work for us again.

I remain unconvinced by 3 at the back in the premier league atm, managers have tried it last season in particular generally with unsuitable full backs trying to be wing backs. generally what happens is it helps posession in your own third but the wing backs are easy to defend against, especially since most teams don't put two strikers in the box to receive crosses I guess anymore, and it just doesn't do much of anything.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mcclaren-admits-newcastle-united-10087166

Steve McClaren admits his team are still carrying “mental baggage” from last season’s near brush with relegation.

The Newcastle United manager was responding to a question about the Magpies’ appalling run of just ONE win in 16 Premier League matches at the end of last term and the start of the current campaign.

McClaren, however, tackled the question head on and, when asked if he felt there was still a lingering feeling from last term, he said: “Of course there is.

“It is normal and natural. I think you only have to look at the run of results.”

McClaren feels his team are still showing traits from last season’s long struggle.

Back then Newcastle lost eight games on the trot, setting a new club record.

He said: “We came in fresh but not knowing what has gone on.

“We sensed that in pre-season. A couple of times we conceded a couple of goals and the reaction wasn’t favourable.

“Generally, I have been absolutely delighted with the performances in terms of attitude.”

McClaren has asked his team to show a similar attitude to Leicester City when they fall behind with fighting spirit sadly lacking at West Ham.

He said: “We felt that the reaction after the second goal wasn’t what we want.

“We looked at Leicester and the way they reacted at 2-0 down to Aston Villa with 30 minutes to go and still turning it round. We have to be that type of team.”

I wonder how much of this is down to the absolute clusterfuck of a pre-season planned by Charnley and John and Stoney.

We have a manager who started the first day of the season not knowing:

1) What his first eleven even looked like.

2) That Obertan is not a footballer.

3) His favoured formation with this group of lads.

4) His favoured tactics based on the first eleven.

Giving someone 10 games to figure THAT shit out could be fucking disastrous, as we've seen so far as 5 games have whizzed by.

“We are learning. About the best team, the best players. The best team may not necessarily be the best players. We have not found it yet.“

Which would be a positive apart from the fact seven players have started every league game and I reckon he's only actually made four changes that weren't enforced by injury or suspension - and three of those were merely to bring our 'best' players back in after said injury or suspension. Hope we see something different tomorrow.

“We are learning. About the best team, the best players. The best team may not necessarily be the best players. We have not found it yet.“

Which would be a positive apart from the fact seven players have started every league game and I reckon he's only actually made four changes that weren't enforced by injury or suspension - and three of those were merely to bring our 'best' players back in after said injury or suspension. Hope we see something different tomorrow.

That just stinks of him selecting his illegitimate child each and every time. 

Guest reefatoon

He needs to find his bollocks today, drop the pointless brothers from midfield, and get our attacking players off the bench and into the first team. All out attack. Got a feeling it is going to be the exact same team though.

He needs to find his bollocks today, drop the pointless brothers from midfield, and get our attacking players off the bench and into the first team. All out attack. Got a feeling it is going to be the exact same team though.

This is the first 'weak' team we've played imo (WHU started the season OK and had done decent results at least) so yeah I totally agree with this. If he can't find enough bollocks to go out and try to destroy Watford at home he's no better than Pardew.

Today is definitely the making or breaking of the man, the way he sets up and the personnel he uses at home to one of the worst teams in the league, it's imperative he gets it right. We don't need to be playing 2 DMs in this game, we need to turn the screw, go out and take the game to them. Any of this defensive BS and I'm on the McClarenOut.com train.