"Allardyce in charge as manager until Alan Shearer is ready to take over"

Decky

Toon backing for Big Sam

Nov 5 2007 by Alan Oliver, Evening Chronicle

SAM ALLARDYCE has the full backing of Newcastle United.

This was the response today from United after a report yesterday which suggested that Allardyce was facing a crisis and that Mark Hughes was waiting in the wings.

United did not even bother to issue the much-dreaded vote of confidence to Allardyce.

Instead, chairman Chris Mort said simply: “This kind of story does not merit a response. It is ludicrous.”

Obviously club owner Mike Ashley would not be pleased at Saturday’s 4-1 drubbing by Portsmouth at St James’ Park on Saturday and the way United capitulated without even putting up a fight.

But the Chronicle’s information is that both Ashley and chairman Chris Mort want to keep Allardyce in charge as manager until Alan Shearer is ready to take over.

And we understand the United pair have made Shearer aware of this.

Big Sam is 53 and he has always said that he intends to retire when he is 55, which would coincide with Shearer’s contract with BBC’s Match of the Day coming to an end.

United’s greatest ever player actually said over the weekend that he found all the speculation linking him with the United job “embarrassing”.

That may be the case, but I have always felt Shearer will be manager of his beloved United one day.

Allardyce is a big boy and talk about Hughes – or anyone else for that matter – taking his job will water off the proverbial duck’s back.

But he is rapidly finding out that being in charge at Newcastle United is a lot different from Bolton Wanderers and the Reebok Stadium.

Ironically, it was an injury-time goal from his former skipper Kevin Nolan at West Ham yesterday which prevented United from dropping into the bottom half of the table for the first time under Allardyce.

However, at the same time these are not good days for Allardyce, with the fans aware that United have not yet met any of the so-called big four of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal in the league.

Meanwhile, if United still have faith in Allardyce, the bookies are losing it a bit.

For William Hill have cut the odds on Big Sam losing his job before the end of the season from 7-1 to 11-2.

Hill’s spokesman Graham Sharpe said today: “Sam is still 1/10 to survive the season, but things are clearly not going well at Newcastle and a couple more home defeats would make things very uncomfortable for him.”

Allardyce was more concerned about an away game today as he began his preparations for Saturday’s game with Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

Roy Keane was at St James’s Park on Saturday and must not have been able to believe what he was seeing before he left after an hour.

Allardyce will return the compliment by running the rule over Sunderland in tonight’s game with Manchester City at Eastlands.

The United boss said today he had not decided who will replace Lee Clark as his reserve-team coach.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/tm_headline=toon-backing-for-big-sam%26method=full%26objectid=20063708%26siteid=72703-name_page.html

Oliver is back on form!!! and quess what, rubbish as usual.

Guest mobiius

anal is a cock plain and simple. he is always at the mix and if what he takes a stab in the dark at, transpires into reality then he hits the back page of the chronic with the usual you heard it here 1st, revealed exclusively, etc etc. i really think its time that one of  the universities in the toon awarded him for all the years of trying to make up believable stories. i would be quite happy for him to be awarded a doctorate for (mis)information.

Think the Chron has had its power reduced massivley since the takeover, most of the stories they run with are in other papers or on the Official site before you see them in the Ronnie. He's just trying to look ITK when he's so blatently not anymore.

Exactly what I was thinking. About time too.

United’s greatest ever player?

Yes.

No.

Nope, but certainly one of them.

That cannot be disputed.

Although I still feel a tad robbed in the sense he was probably about 80% of the player we bought prior to Goodison '97.

Not complaining like. :)

I was watching this the other night:

:lol:

absolutely, he isn't

Agreed - Shearer is ONE of NUFCs best CFs, but not THE best and certainly not the club's best ever player.

I can think of at least 3 or 4 in a few seconds who are better.

He WAS the best English CF of his era.

I was watching this the other night:

:lol:

absolutely, he isn't

Agreed - Shearer is ONE of NUFCs best CFs, but not THE best and certainly not the club's best ever player.

I can think of at least 3 or 4 in a few seconds who are better.

He WAS the best English CF of his era.

who?:D

(okey in terms of ability beardsley  perhaps) :)

<Snip>

this is mainly(only) from his time at liverpool, but if there ever was a player with his skill in the black and white shirt again, we better damn be willing to give him luque's salary and more. Alot of nice clips on youtube from him. Most class.