Liverpool (h) pre match thread

madras

Looks like Edgar could have to play in central defence. Taylor doubtful, Faye is out, news awaited on Cacapa.

Didn't we put Beye at centre-half against Reading at one point? With disastrous consequences.

Guest FriendlyRed

Why isn't Agger playing, Friendly Red?

Not quite fit enough yet, mate. Been out with a dreaded metatarsal and hasn't played since, he is fit but not match fit.

Not quite fit enough yet, mate. Been out with a dreaded metatarsal and hasn't played since, he is fit but not match fit.

Benitez has hinted at Agger playing some part on Saturday, probably last 20 -25 mins off the bench?

Ah right, thought he would have been ready. Certainly a bonus for us, anyhow; Hyypia hasn't looked up to it this season imo. If we can hit him with Martins' pace he could have one or two problems.

Guest nufc222

I fear a good walloping on Saturday. NUFC dont seem a happy ship at the moment.

Apparently neither are Liverpool though, there seems to be news coming out about a suspected rift between Rafa and the owners. this was highlighted by Rafas (benny) strange answers to questions concerning England and the Newcastle game and a general admission that this has not been a good week. Following this the owners have issued a press statement concerning January Transfers so looks like the issue is boiling down to transfer money.

this is my understanding for a better view look at some Liverpool forums as it seems to be all over them!!

We'll lose marginally, then absolutely destroy Arsenal. We'll use all our subs against Arsenal, and then a strange but immediate change to the rules will be enforced by the FA - who are coincidently at the match - and when we get a player injured, they'll ask me to come down for the Gallowgate in place of Viduka. With the scores deadlocked, i'll score a hattrick in injury time and be dubbed a saviour.

You heard it here first.

We'll lose marginally, then absolutely destroy Arsenal. We'll use all our subs against Arsenal, and then a strange but immediate change to the rules will be enforced by the FA - who are coincidently at the match - and when we get a player injured, they'll ask me to come down for the Gallowgate in place of Viduka. With the scores deadlocked, i'll score a hattrick in injury time and be dubbed a saviour.

You heard it here first.

If any of that happens I will give you 6 billion yen

Rafa Benitez stunner - 'England job might tempt me'

Nov 22 2007

By Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA Benitez today sensationally refused to commit his future to Liverpool.

In an extraordinary Melwood press conference the Reds boss even allowed himself to be linked with the England manager's job, which was vacated earlier today by Steve McClaren.

The usually affable Benitez was clearly in a bad mood and chose his words carefully throughout the ten minute long press conference.

On several occasions he was asked the kind of questions which he usually answers without even thinking but instead of doing that he chose to brush them off with the same cryptic answer.

When asked about England's performance against Croatia, he responded: "I prefer to concentrate on training and coaching my team."

When asked about the threat Newcastle will pose to Liverpool on Saturday, he answered: "I am focusing on coaching and training my team."

He delivered the very same answer on at least ten more occasions.

One of the few questions Benitez was prepared to answer concerned the national team manager's job.

Asked if he would consider taking over from Steve McClaren if the job was offered to him, he said: "You never know what might happen, maybe."

Just last week, Benitez appeared to commit himself to a long term future with Liverpool when he talked of emulating the 21 years Sir Alex Ferguson has spent at Old Trafford.

But today's comments throw into doubt that previously held ambition and suggest all is far from well at Anfield.

The inference which could be taken from the press conference is that Benitez is not happy with the backing, or a perceived lack of it, he is receiving from the club's American owners.

The Reds boss gave this theory further credence when he admitted to being frustrated with life at Anfield but he would not expand on what he meant by this.

But by refusing to commit his future to the club and allowing himself to be linked with another job it appears he has basically delivered a "Back me or sack me" ultimatum to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=rafa-benitez-stunner-england-job-might-te

Guest LucaAltieri

Dave

GeJon NE5 Howaythelads James

madras Mick BlufPurdi indi

Yorkie-Geordie Kev

typical allardyce, plays me on the right when he knows i'm all left foot

I'd be more worried about having GeJon behind you.

Dave

Yorkie-Geordie Kev

mick,htl and ne5 through the centre aswell.

Dave

Yorkie-Geordie Kev

It'll be Dyer and Bowyer all over again

Guest LucaAltieri

Dave

Yorkie-Geordie Kev

I've always thought of GeJon as more of a Le Saux type.

Dave

Yorkie-Geordie Kev

I've always thought of GeJon as more of a Le Saux type.

well i don't want my backside getting le saux so i'd rather be on the left