Al Bangura

GG

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/11/16/ufnwatford116.xml

Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd will appear in court in an effort to save midfielder Al Bangura from deportation back to Sierra Leone.

Officially, Bangura does not exist. The 19-year-old has no papers from Sierra Leone, he cannot get a UK passport until cleared to stay in Britain and cannot get a driving licence without documentary proof of his identity.

Threat: Al Bangura (left) does not want to return to Sierra Leone and will fight to stay in England

Bangura was cleared to stay in Britain earlier this year, only for the Home Office to lodge an appeal on a legal technicality, claiming his status as an asylum seeker changed when he turned 18.

Boothroyd will speak before an immigration tribunal on Monday week.

A Watford source said: "It's a disgraceful way to treat a genuine refugee who, far from living off state benefits and being a burden to the taxpayer, paid £120,000 in tax himself last year.

"Al's father was butchered in the civil war and he escaped the clutches of both a voodoo cult in Sierra Leone and a child trafficking network, only to fall foul of red tape.

"If he was sent back to Africa it would destroy a promising career, break up a family and weaken Aidy's squad at a stroke. We are going to fight this all the way."

Completely disgraceful tbh, if you compare it to the Afghan hijackers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4767463.stm) who were granted asylum, I don't get it, he's paying more than enough tax yet they're still trying to deport him.

Guest kingdawson

Footy Manager legend.

Real life legend, he broke Robbie Savage's leg y'know, surely that's more than enough reason to let him stay?

Honestly mate, how good is he? because he really is an excellent player on football manager.

Footy Manager legend.

Real life legend, he broke Robbie Savage's leg y'know, surely that's more than enough reason to let him stay?

Honestly mate, how good is he? because he really is an excellent player on football manager.

Not really sure, a while back he broke into the first team and looked brilliant, has popped in and out of the first team, been out with injuries etc, but all along has looked pretty solid. He should be a decent PL player at some stage, could still potentially be world class.

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

Guest kingdawson

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

At what?

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

At what?

Im gonna take a wild guess here, but i reckon it was at your post.

Guest kingdawson

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

At what?

You may actually be right :rolleyes:

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

At what?

No seriously though he meant the FM bit

How does he have "no papers"?

Allegedly the contract was signed on toilet paper in Tupac Shakur style, but this then became defunct when Decky used it to wipe his arse with kingdawson's post in this very thread.

Guest kingdawson

Footy Manager legend.

I cringed.

At what?

No seriously though he meant the FM bit

Which would make sense if i said something along the lines of "he's good on fm so he must be good in real life".

How does he have "no papers"?

Allegedly the contract was signed on toilet paper in Tupac Shakur style, but this then became defunct when Decky used it to wipe his arse with kingdawson's post in this very thread.

Voodoo cult 1 Watford 0.

Footy Manager legend.

Not really sure, a while back he broke into the first team and looked brilliant, has popped in and out of the first team, been out with injuries etc, but all along has looked pretty solid. He should be a decent PL player at some stage, could still potentially be world class.

Are you his agent?

• 3 weeks later...