Al Bangura

GG

Do you have a link for this 'detective system'? Sounds like bollocks to me.

If France gives them accomodation and we treat them like shit, why don't they stay in France, Indi? Isn't the official rule that they are to stay and claim asylum in the first safe country they reach? Unless they're bloody good swimmers, that ain't jolly old England.

I never said that clearly hyperbolic and hypothetical situation was the reality. I think you wish it was though.

I'd also like to see these comments from Aidy Boothroyd that suggest he's saying that everyone but footballers should be thrown out. I reckon that's bollocks too. From what I've seen Boothroyd say, it's nothing of the sort. He's talking about his player, what else should he talk about?

If no-one said anything of the sort that you're arguing against, it leaves me to wonder why you got so aggravated about it in the first place. RP was clearly just being a prat, but you defended him on the basis that everyone else apparently thinks that way.

Do you have a link for this 'detective system'? Sounds like bollocks to me.

No I don't, but if it wasn't midnight then I'd go and look for one. Clearly they will have to be able to prove it somehow and however they do that will have to be verified somehow. Like I said, how do you think it happens?

If France gives them accomodation and we treat them like shit, why don't they stay in France, Indi? Isn't the official rule that they are to stay and claim asylum in the first safe country they reach? Unless they're bloody good swimmers, that ain't jolly old England.

That is the rule, but it's obviously a bollocks rule isn't it. If it was a rule that was stuck to then we would never have any refugees in this country and countries on the edge of the EU like Spain, Italy and so-on would have to take everyone. That's clearly both unfair and unworkable. Under the UN charter, or Geneva convention, or perhaps both, we have a duty to accept our fair share of refugees. It's not only a legal obligation, it's morally right as well. They come here because for some reason, which is clearly a myth, the UK has a good reputation as being friendly and welcoming to people in distress. We have a reputation as a fair and safe society, fuck knows where that came from, but it exists.

I never said that clearly hyperbolic and hypothetical situation was the reality. I think you wish it was though.

Believe what you like, but I'd have thought the smiley at the end would have been enough for you to understand how that last paragraph was meant to be taken. I'll be less subtle next time.

I'd also like to see these comments from Aidy Boothroyd that suggest he's saying that everyone but footballers should be thrown out. I reckon that's bollocks too. From what I've seen Boothroyd say, it's nothing of the sort. He's talking about his player, what else should he talk about?

Again, I haven't got time to track them down, now I'm sure you could do so if you're staying up for a bit and have the inclination though. Basically what he said was along the lines of "I don't know what's going on in this country, when we're sending him back, but we're letting all the others who are claiming benefits stay." If you've read the website I linked to, you'll be aware that a comment like this shows that he clearly doesn't know the first thing about this subject at all. As I said, it appears that he thinks that his player is being victimised, yet as you know having experienced something similar yourself, that simply isn't true.

If no-one said anything of the sort that you're arguing against, it leaves me to wonder why you got so aggravated about it in the first place. RP was clearly just being a prat, but you defended him on the basis that everyone else apparently thinks that way.

How am I to know what any individual's motivations for writing something on a messageboard are? I'd like you to tell me because you seem to be an expert in the field.  :lol: *****THAT WAS A JOKE!!!***** (hope that wasn't too subtle this time) Like I have already said the only comments I was talking about specifically were Aidy Boothroyd's, but I assumed that there would be some people about who would fall into the same category. I don't know if that applies to anyone in this thread or not, therefore I was not talking about anyone in this thread specifically, but there are people "out there" who it does apply to, they do exist.

I didn't get "so pissed off" about it in the first place, yeah I used a few swear words and I criticised the immigration agencies for making stupid decisions - something you have also done in that thread you linked to, so I'm not sure why you think I shouldn't do the same - and I also said that I wondered if Aidy Boothroyd actually gave a shit about asylum seekers in general, which given the comments I heard I doubt he does, but if you think that's me getting angry then you don't know me quite as well as I thought you did.

Even if I had been really angry about it then what the fuck's wrong with that!?! (The "fuck" and the !?! don't mean I'm sat here about to burst a blood-vessel by the way, they're just for a bit of emphasis) I've already said that I wasn't talking about anyone specifically, so basically what you're doing is criticising me for stating my opinion - an opinion that I've now explained and partially backed up, I'll finish the job tomorrow, something I note you've not done, by the way - and if you're expecting me not to say what I think, when I want to say it, then that's never going to happen, I'm afraid.

I didn't defend him on that basis I defended him on the basis I have already explained and you have seen fit to ignore. I'll repeat it for you now though. Some people will clearly be supporting this lad due to the influence of the positive media coverage he has had, yet wouldn't defend a "nobody" who was in the same situation. This is a direct result of him being a footballer and having access to people who can organise a positive media campaign on his behalf, something a "nobody" simply wouldn't be able to do. Do you think that is fair Wullie?

Anyway, it's now 1am and I've got work tomorrow :( so I'm off to bed, this has been an interesting conversation, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow now. No hard feelings I hope.  :coolsmiley:

Guest RodrigoPalacio

RP was clearly just being a prat

How do you figure that one out?  Because my opinion on the matter differs from the norm?  Yeah, grats on that one.  Why should I (or any of us) care about this anyways?  The blokes getting shipped out and thats that.  Nothing we say or do here on this board is going to change any of that ffs.  Stop trying to be heroes.

How do you figure that one out?  Because my opinion on the matter differs from the norm?  Yeah, grats on that one.  Why should I (or any of us) care about this anyways?  The blokes getting shipped out and thats that.  Nothing we say or do here on this board is going to change any of that ffs.  Stop trying to be heroes.

That's a lame argument - you shouldn't care about stuff you can't do anything about?

What did you note I hadn't done Indi? State my opinion? I thought I had tbh.

Course there's no hard feelings mate. :thup:

Back it up is what I meant, but it was a bit of a sly dig, sorry.

Here's the Boothroyd quote, by the way:

"This country, great as it once was, seems to allow anybody in to send benefits wherever they fancy and we have one young man here who pays his taxes, has a fiancee and a newborn son and somebody thinks it's a good decision to send him back to Sierra Leone. We've been sent a document with the reasons why he's being deported and they are ridiculous."
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/12/sfnwat112.xml

The highlighted bit is what I was commenting on.

Guest RodrigoPalacio

That's a lame argument - you shouldn't care about stuff you can't do anything about?

I'm just saying don't try and shit on other people's opinons and call them all sorts of names under the sun because they have an opinion.

What did you note I hadn't done Indi? State my opinion? I thought I had tbh.

Course there's no hard feelings mate. :thup:

Back it up is what I meant, but it was a bit of a sly dig, sorry.

Here's the Boothroyd quote, by the way:

"This country, great as it once was, seems to allow anybody in to send benefits wherever they fancy and we have one young man here who pays his taxes, has a fiancee and a newborn son and somebody thinks it's a good decision to send him back to Sierra Leone. We've been sent a document with the reasons why he's being deported and they are ridiculous."
Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/12/12/sfnwat112.xml

The highlighted bit is what I was commenting on.

Fair enough. As I said, there is somewhat of an argument to be made for Boothroyd's comment, as well as against. He's not making it very well though, but then he's probably pretty angry about one of his players being deported, both as a person and a manager.

I'm just saying don't try and shit on other people's opinons and call them all sorts of names under the sun because they have an opinion.

Fail to see how "prat" is "all sorts of names under the sun". I couldn't give a toss if your opinion differs from the "norm", whatever that is. It was just a pretty stupid thing to say imo.

Long as you're alright though, Jack?

Absolutely ridiculous. What must he do to remain in the country, hijack a plane? He's just had a baby, pays extraordinarily high taxes and is positively contributing to society. Not to mention potentially being a great player. FFS.

How does he do that without a National Insurance number?

Emergency tax code?

Ah, that'll be why he's getting deported. So they don't have to give him a massive tax rebate.

Guest eyeball

I'm just saying don't try and s*** on other people's opinons and call them all sorts of names under the sun because they have an opinion.

To be honest people could be forgiven for not knowing what your opinion is. One minute you're glad he's going, next you couldn't give a shit, then you reckon it's not worth the fuss because it doesn't  make any difference what people think or do, so why bother.

Then you ask why people call you on your opinion? You seem to have that many, you could have just about anyone asking questions.

Guest kingdawson

I'm just saying don't try and s*** on other people's opinons and call them all sorts of names under the sun because they have an opinion.

So what if someone was of the opinion that your girlfriend was a slut??

:lol:

:lol:

His boyfriend would be pissed.

• 4 weeks later...