Reality testing.

Parky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So how do you think things would be up there right now if each of the above had been appointed in the summer. Much difference in the level of grumbling? I'm no sure. Most of them seem to be quite dour in the way they go about things whether that be thru kicking teams off the park, hoofing it, 451, whatever. No guarantees that there masterplans would work where Allardyce's hasn't so far. I think the only one who would have been dramatically different to the others is Redknapp who comes across as being much more positive.

So how do you think things would be up there right now if each of the above had been appointed in the summer. Much difference in the level of grumbling? I'm no sure. Most of them seem to be quite dour in the way they go about things whether that be thru kicking teams off the park, hoofing it, 451, whatever. No guarantees that there masterplans would work where Allardyce's hasn't so far. I think the only one who would have been dramatically different to the others is Redknapp who comes across as being much more positive.

agree. also don't know why people are touting hughes for working on a budget and have a tough side. big sam had the same kind record at bolton, only better. the job requirements at newcastle aren't about working on a shoestring budget or making a side tough and workmanlike, finding bargains for less than a million is no guarantee that a manager will spend bigger sums just as wisely, it could be that they spend the best part of £12m on joey barton and alan smith.

I've stuck with our man.

Hughes is doing a good job, but talk of him taking the manu post after Fergie goes is jumping the gun a little.

He's proved nothing other than he's a good premiership manager, that compared to a legend, well, they'll need someone as big to replace Fergie when he goes. If Hughes wins the FA cup or UEFA cup this season he'd still be light years away from proving his credentials as the right man to take over a very difficult post.

He's tactically suspect imo although he has improved and is good at taking advice from those around him.

He does like to play football that is clear.

agree. also don't know why people are touting hughes for working on a budget and have a tough side. big sam had the same kind record at bolton, only better. the job requirements at newcastle aren't about working on a shoestring budget or making a side tough and workmanlike, finding bargains for less than a million is no guarantee that a manager will spend bigger sums just as wisely, it could be that they spend the best part of £12m on joey barton and alan smith.

Blackburn play far better football than Bolton ever did.

Blackburn were one of the three most hopeless sides I saw at Villa Park last season. Beyond awful. Yet, at the moment, Hughes is doing well, so he's flavour of the month, he must be fucking brilliant.

Football fans are so fucking fickle and clueless at times, we all want instant results, so we'll lash ourselves up to whichever bandwagon is most popular at the moment.

As for MON and what has he achieved - as someone else said, took a relegation bound shit squad, got it mid table despite not having a summer transfer window, and has us in 8th at the moment, despite having had an awful opening run of fixtures.

I couldn't help noticing the presence of three Villa players on the pitch for England in the second half the other day, and one more with a very good shout of making the step up from the U21s soon. I've also seen a few articles by proper journalists recently talking about how Villa are in with a shout of providing the nucleus of the England team soon.

Managers don't just get judged on whether they deliver instant results or whether they're two points above Newcastle / Everton / Spurs ' whoever, the really good ones build their club from the ground up and set it up for the long term.

Looked at that way, MON is doing a very good job.

I would be absolutely horrified if we were to bring Redknapp in.

I haven't seen that rumour anywhere over the weekend anyway. :undecided:

not gonna happen, sam will be here till AT LEAST the end of the season, and even then i dont think mike would dismiss him unless we have a world class manager lined up, which isnt gonna be very likely, unless he decides to spunk a hell of a lot on wages, either way i dont think we have to worry about any more speculative managerial appointments for a while, with mikes money, he's gonna want to appoint someone proven

Guest Ridzuan

None of the above because I wanted Ramos.Anyway,if i have to pick one base on their performance last season,I would say Hughes.I think hes done a decent job with Blackburn last season and a better job now.

I wouldn't touch O'Neill with a bargepole. Someone told me the other day that O'Leary actually got more points per game than O'Neill has, this while O'Leary was working under Ellis and O'Neills spent millions. He doesn't seem to have a clue in the transfer market either which is the biggest attribute you need with all the money flying around.

Mark Hughes has done by far the best job with his squad costing less than nearly all the others spent in the last transfer window.

Friedel - free, Warnock - £1.5m, Samba - 400k, Nelsen - free, Emerton - £2.5, Pedersen - £1.5m, Savage - £3m, Dunn - £2.2m, McCarthy - 2.2m, Santa Cruz - £3.3m = £16.6m (or 1 Darrent Bent)

Redknapp's done a good job at Portsmouth but he spent £20m in the summer so Hughes wins.

I'll go back further. This relates to a lack of long-term planning by the previous board - or more accurately, the power-players/the Halls - by not recognising that were cracks appearing in Robson's management back in 02/03, despite the 3rd place finish. Those cracks being the one-dimensional 'through-the-middle' & over the top pattern of play, and a non-existent squad rotation policy  - ie. when Robson played 'favourites' on the selection table when he there were able replacements at his disposal such as Acuna - amidst a heavy match schedule. That 3rd place finish was a bloody lucky result, when looking at the football on display from the previous campaign of 01/02.

Paul Hart was my 1st choice then, when he first began to look shaky at Forest - in the wake of the forced departures of his then core group of first-teamers ie. Harewood/Jenas etc, was the sort of manager we should've been looking at, as far as eventually taking over from Robson at about the same time when it suddenly dawned on the Halls that Robson was past his use-by-date.

Mods: I encountered posting problems after being timed-out initially. Could you please move this post to the appropriate thread....... i can't be be bothered retyping this post.

I've long been a fan of MON, so he'd have been my choice. But there's not a lot of choice between all those managers, except Bruce. They've all proved that they've got ability.

Whether any of them would be doing a better job than Allardyce at this stage is another matter. If we start calling for a manager's head after 12 games when we're in mid-table, then no-one's going to stand a chance.

I'll go back further. This relates to a lack of long-term planning by the previous board - or more accurately, the power-players/the Halls - by not recognising that were cracks appearing in Robson's management back in 02/03, despite the 3rd place finish. Those cracks being the one-dimensional 'through-the-middle' & over the top pattern of play, and a non-existent squad rotation policy  - ie. when Robson played 'favourites' on the selection table when he there were able replacements at his disposal such as Acuna - amidst a heavy match schedule. That 3rd place finish was a bloody lucky result, when looking at the football on display from the previous campaign of 01/02.

Paul Hart was my 1st choice then, when he first began to look shaky at Forest - in the wake of the forced departures of his then core group of first-teamers ie. Harewood/Jenas etc, was the sort of manager we should've been looking at, as far as eventually taking over from Robson at about the same time when it suddenly dawned on the Halls that Robson was past his use-by-date.

Mods: I encountered posting problems after being timed-out initially. Could you please move this post to the appropriate thread....... i can't be be bothered retyping this post.

No question that the failure to push on after 3rd place was a turning point. We didn't invest in new players, and if you stop moving forwards, you start slipping backwards.

The other factor here is Shearer. He'd started to slow down significantly, and that was the point when his successor should have been brought in. If Shearer didn't like it, he should have been shown the door. Unfortunately, because of his status, and the fact that Shepherd wanted him as Robson's successor, that was impossible. It affected the performance of the team, the team morale and the authority of the manager. When Robson left, it was also difficult to attract a top class manager who was willing to risk their reputation by taking on such a difficult situation.

No question that the failure to push on after 3rd place was a turning point. We didn't invest in new players, and if you stop moving forwards, you start slipping backwards.

The other factor here is Shearer. He'd started to slow down significantly, and that was the point when his successor should have been brought in. If Shearer didn't like it, he should have been shown the door. Unfortunately, because of his status, and the fact that Shepherd wanted him as Robson's successor, that was impossible. It affected the performance of the team, the team morale and the authority of the manager. When Robson left, it was also difficult to attract a top class manager who was willing to risk their reputation by taking on such a difficult situation.

Couldn't agree more. Although i think it was the more to do with it being the Halls' dream ironically it was Robson - and this goes back to what you said in the 2nd paragraph - who first planted the seed in Halls' mind, or the 'Shearer Management Blueprint' as i've referred to it before, by piping on about that 'Shearer would one day become a great NUFC manager' or words to the effect of anyway in some press releases during the period mentioned above.

By planting the above mentioned seed, in effect Robson sealed his own death warrant when he finally entertained the thought of building a new strikeforce, a strikeforce which didn't revolve around Shearer.

I have every faith in Big Sam. Once he has signed the players to fit into his favoured 4-3-3, and Duff is back from injury we will start flexing our muscle.

He is frustrating the hell out of everyone at the moment (including me) but i believe there's method to his madness.

I'd have been happy with Moyes, O'Neill or Hughes in the summer if we hadn't gone for Allardyce.

I wouldn't touch O'Neill with a bargepole. Someone told me the other day that O'Leary actually got more points per game than O'Neill has, this while O'Leary was working under Ellis and O'Neills spent millions. He doesn't seem to have a clue in the transfer market either which is the biggest attribute you need with all the money flying around.

Mark Hughes has done by far the best job with his squad costing less than nearly all the others spent in the last transfer window.

Friedel - free, Warnock - £1.5m, Samba - 400k, Nelsen - free, Emerton - £2.5, Pedersen - £1.5m, Savage - £3m, Dunn - £2.2m, McCarthy - 2.2m, Santa Cruz - £3.3m = £16.6m (or 1 Darrent Bent)

Redknapp's done a good job at Portsmouth but he spent £20m in the summer so Hughes wins.

Didn't realise Hughes transfer activity was so astute.

tbf...Friedel and Pedersen were signed by...someone else. :ninja:

Not that astuteness matters for owt when you've got bajillions to chuck about.

tbf...Friedel and Pedersen were signed by...someone else. :ninja:

Not that astuteness matters for owt when you've got bajillions to chuck about.

David Dunn is a lardarsed twat, as well.