Newcastle United 0 vs Liverpool 3 - 24/11/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

James

Guest newcastle4life

Awful performance by the team any positive of the season is definately gone unless something happens. Big Sam suns were awful as well.

Almost each one of our players was scared of Liverpool...They had no confidence to push forward and pass the ball...They were sh*t scared of loosing position and getting the wrath of the fans but that is what happened anyway....

The players we have are good enough to play football and give a good match to Liverpool, Portsmouth and certainly win against the likes of Reading and Derby but we are not doing so because of lack of confidence and that is Allarydce's fault. He has been tinkering so much with the system and players that have started to affect player moral being played out of position and with weird hoofing the ball instructions which are putting even more pressure on the players. The crowd is not helping by these displays (and rightly so I say) so it gets even worse and it is a vicious cycle, the only way to get out of it is to restore the confidence of the players and to do so THE MANGER NEEDS TO BE CHANGED...

Great points from toontownman there.

The answer isn't "sack, sack, sack" - where has it gotten us so far?

Are you suggesting we should have stuck with Roeder or Souness?

A fairly simple solution would be to make the right appointment in the first place, then there would be no need for "sack, sack, sack".

It's never that easy though, because you know as well as I do that the fans are never 100% behind an appointment - the only man I could see getting anywhere near enough patience/backing/support/feelgood factor behind him is Alan Shearer, much the same as Kevin Keegan was.

It's never been this difficult to be Newcastle manager, though, and Special K came in at the perfect time.

A lot more goes into a successful managerial appointment than simply making the "right appointment".

The vast majority of people saw Allardyce as the "right appointment" when he came in under Shepherd, then the club gets taken over by a billionaire and the doubters began to multiply when more factors came into the equation.

It would be magic if it was as simple as you say it could be.

EDIT: Also, if we'd stuck with Roeder then perhaps when Ashley/Mort came in they could have brought in their own man with them... food for thought.

Who knows, hindsight is a wonderful thing, whoever they replaced Roeder with could just as well have been worse than Allardyce.

My only arguement was that the view that 'sacking managers in the past got us nowhere' is no arguement for not sacking Allardyce now. That despite personally feelling pretty sick at the prospect at getting shot of another manager and (while never being particularly behind his appointment) still edge towards giving him time.

As for Shearer, I would be very surprised if he were to get anywhere near the support and patience that you think he would considering just how far cynicism has taken over amongst the support. Certainly wouldn't be be my choice, but then other than someone like Mourinho, few would be.

That's half the problem at the moment, and why I don't envy Ashley and Morts position in this one little bit.

I want to defend Big Sam, but I just can't think of anything positive to say. Shame. It's amazing that our only real chance (the Viduka offside goal) came from a nice passage of keeping the ball. Probably about the only time we did that all game. Just what exactly happens on the training ground?

My opinion is that as we are known as a sacking club and Big fat useless Sam knows that.  He is making himself appear to be incompetant so that he gets sacked, paid off his contract and gets to take the now vacant England job.

His team choice today was suspect but, his substitutions were laughable.  Emre for Barton after a few minutes of the second half?  Zog for Milner (Left winger on the left for a right winger to play out of position!) and then to cap it off take off a left back to replace him with an old, fat useless right back who is far from fit to face one of the quickest right wingers in the Premiership (Babble).

Let him go and get someone like Moriniho in who does know what he is doing.

Todays substitutions are possibly the most baffling I've ever seen.  We were getting beat and not a single substitution was going to change anything, bringing on Carr is possibly my low point of the season but the others were almost as bad.  We were getting totally outplayed and went like for like when our game was crying out for something different, that isn't what I expect to see from somebody who is supposed to be tactically aware..

Is there a way to sack the fans who boo?

The fans who boo have every right to do so although they were never going to help, people are frustrated and have every right to make people know that they feel that way.

I have seen many NUFC v Liverpool games since 1968, and although we have been beaten several times by them before, this is undoubtedly the WORST display by a Newcastle side v L/Pool in all that time esp as it was at SJP.

Even the 4-0 loss at Anfield in the FA Cup in 1984 wasn't as big a disgrace as this performance...

We could have lost by at least 6.

Obviously, 2 major factors have affected this - they are now a whole league better than us and we have gone so far back as a club in the past 4 years that people are now expecting us to lose at home to them.

Whilst I anticipated a defeat, the manner of this performance was appalling - lack of spirit and cohesion from the players, bad tactics and selections(once again) from the manager and the general impression that nobody knows what they are doing, either on or off the field.

Liverpool out-passed and out-classed us to a degree which was a total embarrassment to all NUFC fans.

They have some better players, but the main difference was the excellent passing and movement of their side compared to ours - however much they have spent does NOT make them a 5 times better side than we are potentially, and that was what they looked today - or, rather, what we MADE them look.

Had we given a decent display and lost by, say 2-1, no-one would have complained but this was dire.

As has been said, we are in a very tough spot indeed now - unless there is someone of top quality who is prepared to join the club, we have no option but to stick with the current manager UNLESS this continues for a few weeks more ,when relegation would threaten and neither the club nor Ashley can afford THAT..

It almost looks as if the club are being put in the position of HAVING to sack the manager - why would that be, do you think..!!???

Morale among both team & fans is obviously at rock-bottom and this situation cannot continue for long but the options are very limited.

This is as tough a situation we have faced since Gullit committed professional suicide in 1999, but this time, there is no-one of the calibre of SBR waiting in the wings.

As McDermott said after we blew the title in 1996 ; 'sometimes, I think the club is cursed.."

Our performance today was worse than that Friday night in the FA Cup when Keegan was playing, that says it all.

I started to worry a few weeks ago that the pressure was affecting Sam's judgement a bit. Starting with 3-5-2 - an unfamiliar and difficult system to pull off - against a top side is a bit dippy. Not surprisingly, the players had no faith in it, and it got changed quickly.

With a defence of Geremi-Beye-Rozenhal-Enrique it's no wonder we got beaten, but all the chopping and changing doesn't help.

Ironically, the subs were fair enough. Emre and Zoggy are big crowd favourites, but they were both losing the ball without looking like they were going to create much. Zoggy's limitations were very exposed. When he's denied time and space - which the top sides will do - he just runs into blind alleys and loses all composure. Far better to start with Milner and then bring Zoggy on as sub, when space has opened up a bit and he can get up speed.

Martins was hopeless. Barely passed to a striped shirt all game.

Big Sam just needs to keep things simple for now so that the players can develop a bit of confidence in one another and establish a pattern.

I'm worried that Sam didn't think Geremi was crap all game and wasn't the one replaced instead of Emre...Also having N'Zogbia as a SB and then getting him off because he wasn't doing much, well of course because HE IS OUT OF POSITION YOU DUMB SH*T

The booing was a disgrace, TBH. It started so early that the players were f****** terrified by the end.

The early booing was for Gerard, after that it was for pathetic substitutions and goals against.

Whilst it might not help matters, the paying public have every right to voice their opinion.

Nobody complained when we were the 12th man under Keegan/Robson.

It's simple imo, play good football, give 100% in commitment and the team won't get booed.

Play shite football, awful tactics without commitment and expect a hammering.

It's hardly unfair.

I started to worry a few weeks ago that the pressure was affecting Sam's judgement a bit. Starting with 3-5-2 - an unfamiliar and difficult system to pull off - against a top side is a bit dippy. Not surprisingly, the players had no faith in it, and it got changed quickly.

With a defence of Geremi-Beye-Rozenhal-Enrique it's no wonder we got beaten, but all the chopping and changing doesn't help.

Ironically, the subs were fair enough. Emre and Zoggy are big crowd favourites, but they were both losing the ball without looking like they were going to create much. Zoggy's limitations were very exposed. When he's denied time and space - which the top sides will do - he just runs into blind alleys and loses all composure. Far better to start with Milner and then bring Zoggy on as sub, when space has opened up a bit and he can get up speed.

Martins was hopeless. Barely passed to a striped shirt all game.

Big Sam just needs to keep things simple for now so that the players can develop a bit of confidence in one another and establish a pattern.

Absolute nonsense

The booing was a disgrace, TBH. It started so early that the players were f****** terrified by the end.

Don't expect the players to get any favours. They need to get the fans out of their seats and they will then be repaid with proper support...They need to show that they deserve to be supported tbh...