Newcastle United 0 vs Liverpool 3 - 24/11/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

James

Saw the final two minutes of the game. There was this one little instance where Barton picked the ball up on the left, ran at Babel and totally skinned him. Looked good, quick.

Yet for their 3rd goal, Babel totally skinned Nicky Butt, who is far too overated by most and a key factor in what is going wrong. Reliance on cloggers like him is a recipe for disaster!

Why single Butt out? He's not a KEY factor in what is going wrong at all. I'd much rather have him in the team than Emre, Smith or Geremi at the moment.

Simple. Because he loses possession far too often, picks up a yellow card and risks the red card too easily.

I do not want Smith in the team either btw, but Geremi and Emre at least can pass the ball.

Absoloutely pathetic, school boy stuff at times. I was shocked at how shit we were, and that takes some doing, we've played shite before under Sam but that is the worst performance by far for a long time. Unacceptable , dreading the Arsenal game now.  :-[

Agreed, let's not bother with Blackburn.

I'm not dreading facing Blackburn though.

Saw the final two minutes of the game. There was this one little instance where Barton picked the ball up on the left, ran at Babel and totally skinned him. Looked good, quick.

Yet for their 3rd goal, Babel totally skinned Nicky Butt, who is far too overated by most and a key factor in what is going wrong. Reliance on cloggers like him is a recipe for disaster!

Why single Butt out? He's not a KEY factor in what is going wrong at all. I'd much rather have him in the team than Emre, Smith or Geremi at the moment.

Simple. Because he loses possession far too often, picks up a yellow card and risks the red card too easily.

I do not want Smith in the team either btw, but Geremi and Emre at least can pass the ball.

That's the frustrating thing then - why don't they?

Emre was shocking today - gave the ball away far more times than any of our players.

Watched the game with my girlfriend (who's a Liverpool fan) and she was gutted we took Emre off.

Post match thoughts from .com;

Red mists descending...

Newcastle  0  Liverpool  3

An awful performance at St. James' Park saw us completely outclassed and lucky to escape a more severe beating by Rafa Benitez's Liverpool on Saturday lunchtime.

Sections of the home support were in open revolt against Sam Allardyce and his feckless charges who surrendered alarmingly to a side that arrived on Tyneside in fifth place in the table.

Steven Gerrard became the latest in a long list of booed players to put in a match winning performance, opening the scoring with a thumping drive from 30 yards.

Only an Alan Smith shot at the end of the first half threatened to keep us in the contest but within seconds of the restart Dirk Kuyt bundled in a corner.

A dispirited bunch of players dragged themselves out for the second half but our defence was apparently still in the dressing room as Kuyt had the six yard box to himself.

The third following in the 66th minute as Gerrard and Ryan Babel exchanged passes and substitute Babel beat Shay Given with ease.

Our substitutions - Joey Barton for Emre and James Milner for Charles N'Zogbia - were greeted with howls of derision from Newcastle fans, not for any of those four in particular but for Allardyce's decision to leave on players like Geremi.

Chants of "You don't know what you're doing" and "Allardyce for England" echoed around the ground as our season went from bad to worse.

A measure of the dissatisfaction was that Reds substitute Peter Crouch got a better reception than Stephen Carr, bizarrely coming on at left back for Jose Enrique.

How we survived without conceding at least three more was something of a minor miracle and Mark Viduka could and should have had a couple at the other end but drifted offside twice like a Sunday morning player.

Two successive home defeats by three-goal margins is something that must snap Allardyce out of his "best start in 11 years" complacency.

This side is heading for oblivion as things stand and not even Graeme Souness or Glenn Roeder managed that after just 13 league games....

--------------------

Pretty spot on, IMO.

Only sideways and backwards though sadly.

No offence, but did you see how shit he was today, or any time he's played in the last 2 months?

Geremi is much more culpable than Butt in our terrible form this season, imo.

He's been played all over the place though, not settling in any one position, and although he has not lived up to his pre season form, he loses possession far less often than Butt, and at key moments where we concede a goal you will find that Nicky Butt is often there at the heart of it.

No offence, but did you see how shit he was today, or any time he's played in the last 2 months?

I saw it. He wasn't great, but he was not as bad as Nicky Butt. He should have got forward more, but was too reluctant to do so. Nicky Butt on the other hand, or should I say "Golden Boy Butt", was even worse especially for conceding possession and has been consistently all season. I'm surprised so few others can see it tbh.

Geremi is much more culpable than Butt in our terrible form this season, imo.

He's been played all over the place though, not settling in any one position, and although he has not lived up to his pre season form, he loses possession far less often than Butt, and at key moments where we concede a goal you will find that Nicky Butt is often there at the heart of it.

Do you not think that he's maybe in the heart of the action because of his role?

Which of the Liverpool goals today were Butt's fault out of interest?

NEWCASTLE United boss Sam Allardyce admitted his side had hit rock bottom in the defeat against Liverpool, then declared: "We have to get ourselves out of it."

United crumbled to a 3-0 defeat against the powerful Merseysiders at St. James' Park on top of the 4-1 beating by Portsmouth in the last home game, and Allardyce said: "We are in a difficult period at the moment and that has escalated into disappointing performances.

"We are very disappointed as a group of players that we have basically gone out and really not done the job that we are expected to do.

"Twice on the trot now the performances have been under par. And we have to put that right as quickly as possible.

"We have to dig in and make sure we get ourselves out of this particular predicament. We've hit rock bottom at the minute and we've got to get ourselves out of it. There's only us that can do it, and that's by sticking together and getting a lot more players fit and showing a lot more grit and determination.

"That was missing today, particularly after the second goal went in, and that's hugely disappointing."

Big Sam said he "had to point a few things out" in the post-match dressing-room inquest then added: "We've got to take it on the chin and get together and make sure we get out of what is a bad run.

"Of course, I never thought it was going to be easy against Liverpool with the injuries we had. We had a containing first half, then Stevie G pops up with an unstoppable free-kick.

"But then the real disappointing thing was that after the reorganising of the team at half-time we concede a stoppable goal. And our heads went down.

"At the moment we are not getting results so the pressure comes - we have to withstand that pressure and turn it round as quickly as we can."

FFS.  >:(

I saw it. He wasn't great, but he was not as bad as Nicky Butt. He should have got forward more, but was too reluctant to do so. Nicky Butt on the other hand, or should I say "Golden Boy Butt", was even worse especially for conceding possession and has been consistently all season. I'm surprised so few others can see it tbh.

I thought Butt did alright, considering the lack of any sort of team around him.

NEWCASTLE United boss Sam Allardyce admitted his side had hit rock bottom in the defeat against Liverpool, then declared: "We have to get ourselves out of it."

United crumbled to a 3-0 defeat against the powerful Merseysiders at St. James' Park on top of the 4-1 beating by Portsmouth in the last home game, and Allardyce said: "We are in a difficult period at the moment and that has escalated into disappointing performances.

"We are very disappointed as a group of players that we have basically gone out and really not done the job that we are expected to do.

"Twice on the trot now the performances have been under par. And we have to put that right as quickly as possible.

"We have to dig in and make sure we get ourselves out of this particular predicament. We've hit rock bottom at the minute and we've got to get ourselves out of it. There's only us that can do it, and that's by sticking together and getting a lot more players fit and showing a lot more grit and determination.

"That was missing today, particularly after the second goal went in, and that's hugely disappointing."

Big Sam said he "had to point a few things out" in the post-match dressing-room inquest then added: "We've got to take it on the chin and get together and make sure we get out of what is a bad run.

"Of course, I never thought it was going to be easy against Liverpool with the injuries we had. We had a containing first half, then Stevie G pops up with an unstoppable free-kick.

"But then the real disappointing thing was that after the reorganising of the team at half-time we concede a stoppable goal. And our heads went down.

"At the moment we are not getting results so the pressure comes - we have to withstand that pressure and turn it round as quickly as we can."

FFS.   >:(

Oh, god. Didn't spot that.

I thought Butt did alright, considering the lack of any sort of team around him.

Agree.

NEWCASTLE United fans have every right to criticise the team - and it's only to be expected after poor displays like that against Liverpool.

That was the view of United manager Sam Allardyce after the 3-0 home defeat by the men from Anfield.

"It's only what you expect," Big Sam said, "and they are well within their rights to show their disapproval. I wouldn't expect anything else.

"They've paid their money to come and see a game of football and they have no alternative but to show their disapproval.

"It changes on results, though. Two games ago it was great, and two games later it's a disaster. But I see it as a blip which we have to put right.

"They are showing their disapproval, and it's the same here as anywhere else. They pay their money and if they don't see value for money they show their disapproval."

However, Allardyce said he was ready to face up to a situation he had never personally experienced in his previous management career.

He declared: "I have never quite found myself in this predicament before. But I have dealt with some difficult situations, and this one is a good challenge.

"You roll your sleeves up and get on with the job, you get it right - and hopefully that starts at Blackburn Rovers next week."

Allardyce had to field a makeshift defence against Liverpool due to injuries, with midfielder and skipper Geremi at right-back and right-back Habib Beye at centre-back.

And the manager said the priority was "to protect the defenders as much as we could".

"We couldn't leave a back four like that exposed today," he said, "but in the end that happened. We went chasing the game and left so many gaps for Liverpool to exploit."

Was like being in fucking merseyside watching the match.

Some bellend strolls in after about 80 minutes with Liverpool top on and shouts "Only the 3 then is it?"  The temptation to pick up my glass and smash it over his smug scouse face..

Regardin the match - Given, Beye, Enrique  :thup: 

The rest of them, piss off.

Just got back.  That has worn my patience very fucking thin with Sam like.  Not read the thread but I'm going to say what I imagine everyone else has already said.  Started without Milner and so got royally bumraped down the right.  Took off Emre, the only player we had on the park who had the slightest hint of looking like doing anything.  Finally brought on Milner, but obviously Sam had got bored of being raped down the right and thought we'd like the refreshing change of being raped down the left and took off Zog.  The Guests of Collingwood Insurance had obviously had too much free beer and were taking the piss, as usual.  Smith and Geremi must have something on Sam, maybe pictures of him snorting coke off a ladyboy or something.

A cynical team like Arsenal or Man U would have put 7 or 8 past us today and we're lucky to escape with just a 3-Nowt hiding.  Not looking forward to facing the Gooners like.

EDIT: Oh, and Carr at left back.

fuck off fat sam you wanker

starting line up was wrong, from then on we were useless

'You dont know what your doing' was right about allardyce

why was milner dropped for geremi?

didnt have a decent attack in 90minutes and if liverpool went all out they wouldve scored 8

we were all over the place, viduka is far too slow, no creativity

all this is bad and i fear the worst...FAT SAM OUT!

NEWCASTLE United fans have every right to criticise the team - and it's only to be expected after poor displays like that against Liverpool.

That was the view of United manager Sam Allardyce after the 3-0 home defeat by the men from Anfield.

"It's only what you expect," Big Sam said, "and they are well within their rights to show their disapproval. I wouldn't expect anything else.

"They've paid their money to come and see a game of football and they have no alternative but to show their disapproval.

"It changes on results, though. Two games ago it was great, and two games later it's a disaster. But I see it as a blip which we have to put right.

"They are showing their disapproval, and it's the same here as anywhere else. They pay their money and if they don't see value for money they show their disapproval."

However, Allardyce said he was ready to face up to a situation he had never personally experienced in his previous management career.

He declared: "I have never quite found myself in this predicament before. But I have dealt with some difficult situations, and this one is a good challenge.

"You roll your sleeves up and get on with the job, you get it right - and hopefully that starts at Blackburn Rovers next week."

Allardyce had to field a makeshift defence against Liverpool due to injuries, with midfielder and skipper Geremi at right-back and right-back Habib Beye at centre-back.

And the manager said the priority was "to protect the defenders as much as we could".

"We couldn't leave a back four like that exposed today," he said, "but in the end that happened. We went chasing the game and left so many gaps for Liverpool to exploit."

Yeah, the Reading and Sunderland games were a huge season highlight.

EDIT: I forgot the Portsmouth game. Jesus wept.

Whilst Butt played no worse than most I wouldnt say he played remotely worse. The midfield were particularly shocking today, couldnt get a foot on the ball, gave the defence no protection and gave the ball away with ease whenever we had it.

The lack of effort tracking back for the third goal was a joke. Butt just let Babel straight past him then gave up, leaving him in acres of space to slot home.

Emre looked unfit and lost today. Whilst I understand taking off Emre was stupid as he was one of the only players capable of conjuring something, he looked knackered and completely out of sorts. I would have liked to have seen Emre and Barton in the middle though and Smith make way, but i doubt it would have made a shred of difference.

fuck off fat sam you wanker

starting line up was wrong, from then on we were useless

'You dont know what your doing' was right about allardyce

why was milner dropped for geremi?

didnt have a decent attack in 90minutes and if liverpool went all out they wouldve scored 8

we were all over the place, viduka is far too slow, no creativity

all this is bad and i fear the worst...FAT SAM OUT!

Milner shouldnt play right back