Blackburn Rovers 3 - 1 Newcastle - 01/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 21

James

just got back from ythe game.

we were very very unlucky today imo, we battled for eberything and it was a much better performance than we have given recently.

even barton and smith played well

Cheers, good to hear. Shame about the result though.

i didnt see the match... any ratings anyone?

Team - 7.

Martins, Smith, Barton and Beye stood out for me. Not so much Barton, he was a bit wasteful, but a much more 'Joey Barton-like' performance from him.

Personally I think this good performance is just  a blip and I firmly believe that with BSA at the helm this type of away performance will not be maintained.  After last week the players had no choice but to put their heart and soul into this game, and they may even carry it over into the Arsenal game, but I reckon BSA will privately be thinking that if we had defended for 90 minutes we may have got something out of the game.  You watch, the next away game it will be 10 defenders and Viduka up front, and it will be back to the usual abysmal performances.

Also, if BSA can get this sort of performance out of the players at will, why hasn't he done so in any of the previous matches?  The truth is the players were ashamed by their performance last week and tried to make up for it today, this performance had nothing to do with BSA and I have absolutely no faith in the man at all!!!

yeah i think you might be right, terry mac's been in charge of training/tactics and selection this week

I'm not annoyed at all tonight, eventhough we lost i couldn't care less because by the sounds of it we gave it a real go. All that matters really, if we keep doing what we did today

This.  It makes me think Sam has the players backing too, which is huge.  Lets hope it's not back to normal soon.

A few thoughts: If the players showed this type of effort in a system that suited them (milner on the right, N'zogbia in the midfield, martins not dropping so deep/wide) we'd have a pretty good team. Also I hope Allardyce doesn't see the 3-1 loss as a sign to not attack teams and play for 0-0s, because even though we lost it was a decent game to watch.

I'm not annoyed at all tonight, eventhough we lost i couldn't care less because by the sounds of it we gave it a real go. All that matters really, if we keep doing what we did today

This.  It makes me think Sam has the players backing too, which is huge.  Lets hope it's not back to normal soon.

it certainly seemed as if he hs their backing when we scored, the celebrations were very passionate, from oba, smith, butt and barton especially.

we worked our nuts off today

From what I was able to watch/comprehend (Due to being severely hung over & the match starting 3hrs after I got in this morning) we played well going forward.  As long as an effort was put forth like today we'll start seeing results.  Roll on wednesday, the same day my head will stop pounding.  Fucking whisky.

Martins, Smith, Barton and Beye stood out for me. Not so much Barton, he was a bit wasteful, but a much more 'Joey Barton-like' performance from him.

There was a particularly delightful 60 yard volleyed pass with the outside of the boot from Barton that put Martins through on goal. It wasnt a pure lump it, kick it anywhere pass, wasnt merely a ball over the top, it was a perfectly weighted swerved pass with excellent technique, a difficult pass to pull off.

Not that big a deal, but considering weve been watching midfielders pass sideways or backwards for years now, and rarely through on goal with any sort of technique, it was pretty refreshing. Having said that, I wouldnt want to see it being attempted too often, since too much long ball is just ugly to watch, even more so when defenders latch onto the frequent attempts, but at least we have someone with the ability to play a through ball that isnt utterly simple.

Should turn out to be a good central midfield signing for once when hes fully up to speed, calms down slightly, gets his shooting boots on, etc. Poor man's Gerrard hopefully.

Dont get bloody carried away FFS - this same team that thumped us so clearly were ANNIHILIATED in midweek by Villa at home.

This was an atrocious result.

Improved performance ?

Yes. But ANYTHING is up from the past month for chrissakes.

Its nowhere NEAR good enough yet.

Not even remotely.

we played well for 20 minutes but it still is fucking shite!

long ball football all afternoon and it didnt work, i hate boring long ball football...FAT SAM OUT...

i see ashley was in the toon end again, saw him just in the first row of the upper tier

we played well for 20 minutes but it still is fucking shite!

long ball football all afternoon and it didnt work , i hate boring long ball football...FAT SAM OUT...

i see ashley was in the toon end again, saw him just in the first row of the upper tier

Have you been on the White Lightening today Kev?

we played well for 20 minutes but it still is f****** s****!

long ball football all afternoon and it didnt work , i hate boring long ball football...FAT SAM OUT...

well what was it?

we got the ball and hoofed it forward

we played well for 20 minutes but it still is f****** s****!

well what was it?

we got the ball and hoofed it forward

No we didn't.  And it isn't even worth debating.

Dont get bloody carried away FFS - this same team that thumped us so clearly were ANNIHILIATED in midweek by Villa at home.

This was an atrocious result.

Improved performance ?

Yes. But ANYTHING is up from the past month for chrissakes.

Its nowhere NEAR good enough yet.

Not even remotely.

If anything the two matches show the same thing. Rovers played well on Weds but got thumped 4-0, we played well, very well in parts, and lost 3-1; for me the performance of the team was a remarkable improvement and the performance of the fans was outstanding (possibly even moving...).

What we need now is the whole stadium to get behind the team on wednesday, Win, lose or draw.

I agree, they've had a slapping from the fans, it's now time to see how they respond.

maybe today was an indication that they have responded. hopefully they have taken on board the fans' reaction today.