Newcastle United 2 - 1 Birmingham - 08/12/07 - Post match reaction from page 19

JH

having watched MOTD, penatly was lucky but how on earth did emre's free kick at the end not result in a penalty. To be in a wall, jump up with your arm at 90 degrees to your body, for the ball to completely stop the ball and knock it to safety.... how is that not a penalty ?

Aye having watched the Rozehnal thing again, it was a bit shoddy but more difficult than first looked. It skidded quite nastily off the surface. His anticipation should have been better, though.

no you cant say that. rozenhal is the new boo bramble boy doncha know ?

f*** off Lawrenson

I noticed they only really showed the long balls we played in motd 'aftermath' highlights.  I fucking hate them you'd think Shearer would stand up and say your talking bollocks Mark Newcastle sacked you because you know fuck all and so should the beeb.  Why don't you read the mirror tomorrow and prepare your speech about our uselessness for next week.

Aye having watched the Rozehnal thing again, it was a bit shoddy but more difficult than first looked. It skidded quite nastily off the surface. His anticipation should have been better, though.

no you cant say that. rozenhal is the new boo bramble boy doncha know ?

Aye but we signed a few cb's and because of Sam's shot gun approach, one of Faye, Cacapa or Rozy will be good enough.  Who cares, you could buy 1 player for 5m but why not buy 3 for the same?

Guest microbar

This was a typical bolton type of performance,

This long ball game is the only game sam knows

We were so lucky to get all three points today.

Sack fat sam end of rant.  ;D

All Rozehnal had to do was go across and cut out the pass. He decided to take it into his stride, a luxury he clearly couldn't afford and he got punished for it. It was complacency really, he wasn't aware of what was going on around him. I'm still not convinced he's good enough, but while others are injured we have no choice but to keep him in the team. I'd rather see Beye stay at right back.

Geremi was pretty awful and it's strange that he remains in the team yet Emre doesn't get a look in. I don't see what Geremi has done to merit playing every week, I realise we're not blessed with loads of quality but Emre brings more to the table in my opinion. Geremi was ducking out of challenges all game and didn't seem too sure of where he was supposed to be playing. The roar when Emre came on suggests I'm not alone in thinking he should be in the team ahead of Geremi. And I thought Geremi would be a cracking signing for us, it's not looking great so far. Perhaps Sam doesn't have the strength to drop his captain?

Milner deserved the man of the match award, he was far and away the best player on the pitch and without him we'd really have struggled today. Barton was hit and miss but played some lovely balls. N'Zogbia put in an inch perfect cross but noone was running in for the open goal, we really need to be attacking the penalty box a lot more. The performance was pretty sloppy and the game hideously boring but we deserved a win and the result was so important.

I was amazed at Shearer saying it wasn't a penalty, FFS he stuck out his leg and tripped Oba, it's a foul in the penalty box so it's a penalty! If Rooney had been tripped like that Man U would have been handed 3 penalties.

What are they on at the BBC? "We hate NUFC" tea?

Why swap Barton?

For me he was very good today apart from that tackle. I don't think people realise what he does for the team, some of his passing today was brilliant he is always a step ahead which in one or two cases today was apparent. If you watch him closely he is always shouting at players telling them to run into gaps and he is always moving around.

We need him in the midfield, without him we would lack vision and finesse in the middle and what's wrong with having a bit of bite? so what, he hacked a player down every midfielder does it. It intimidates the opponent and shows them they aren't going to get past that easily and more importantly allows time for the team to regroup.

Oh and the penalty. Jesus Christ. It was a bloody blatant penalty! Absolutely blatant! He wasn't guaranteed to get the ball, but he might have done and it was a goalscoring opportunity. The (absolutely crystal clear) trip/foul gave him a big fecking disadvantage didn't it!

ANYWHERE else on the pitch, there'd be absolutely no question.

I was amazed at Shearer saying it wasn't a penalty, FFS he stuck out his leg and tripped Oba, it's a foul in the penalty box so it's a penalty! If Rooney had been tripped like that Man U would have been handed 3 penalties.

What are they on at the BBC? "We hate NUFC" tea?

Imagine if Big Al had been in the penalty area there when Martins had been brought down....methinks he might've had a word or 100 to say to Styles if he hadn't given it.

What's the problem with Rozehnal btw?  The match is on tape delay over here so I haven't seen the mistake, but he seems to have difficulty with the easy stuff. 

haven't read the whole thread so, apologies if this has been discussed.  my view is that roz seems to have trouble with communication, decision making & taking charge.  for that first goal i was furious with him, after seeing the replay, it really looked like he was expecting (probably wrongly) for taylor to go for it...maybe even he told him to do so.  bit of a problem that taylor doesn't speak czechinese, like.  roz was caught in two minds again & again.  he's too good & too intelligent for that to be down simply to the pace of the game.  but then again, he is a new daddy, maybe he shouldn't be getting up to do his turn at the 3 am feedings.  she has the tits david get your sleep & sort your self out! 

"Tell me about it. I didn't see MOTD but of all people, i can't believe Shearer wouldn't say that wasn't a penalty."

Wll surprise surprise Lawrenson said it wasn't a penalty (after explaining to the masses how we're the new Bolton and his mantra about our poor poor defence), and when asked Shearer said it wasn't a penalty but he supposed it was a typical "home" penalty, (that must be the type when Martins is involved and not his little mate Owen).

haven't read the whole thread so, apologies if this has been discussed.  my view is that roz seems to have trouble with communication, decision making & taking charge.  for that first goal i was furious with him, after seeing the replay, it really looked like he was expecting (probably wrongly) for taylor to go for it...maybe even he told him to do so.  bit of a problem that taylor doesn't speak czechinese, like.  roz was caught in two minds again & again.  he's too good & too intelligent for that to be down simply to the pace of the game.  but then again, he is a new daddy, maybe he shouldn't be getting up to do his turn at the 3 am feedings.  she has the tits david get your sleep & sort your self out! 

Said it before, I think him and Taylor are too similar, and I don't think they'll ever make a good centreback pairing. Him or Taylor alongside either one of Faye or Cacapa are likely to be more succesful, as they're both relatively quick and very aggressive. Especially Rozenhal looks good going forward, and his short passes are quite alot better than his long ball in my opinion, or at least more pleasant to look at. I think Rozenhal was decent against brum today, he made some nice interventions, and at least one goalsaving tackle if I remember correctly. Of course, those bits won't be remembered as vividly as the errors our defenders make...

But the point is it was a nailed on penalty, he just seems to be doing the "better not defend us too much I'm supposed to be neutral here" act too often on MOTD, and if someone had stuck out a leg and tripped him when he was playing he would have gone ballistic if it hadn't been given.

roz is actually one player i wouldn't mind experimented with out of position.  i'm curious how he'd do in the midfield. 

Reckon he would be good in defensive midfield,hes good and comfortable on the ball!Wouldnt be much worse than Butt or Geremi I would Imagine