Closed doors match this week

Dave

Also Owen due back for Derby.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1187419,00.html

Fitness Front: Derby Date For Magpie Michael

By Craig Hope

MICHAEL Owen could make a return to black and white action for the Christmas clash with Derby County at St.James' Park a week on Sunday.

The striker - who turns 28 this week - has been sidelined since injuring his thigh during England's friendly match in Austria last month.

And, while it had been feared Owen would be missing until the New Year, Sam Allardyce has revealed that the game against bottom club Derby has been pencilled in for a possible return.

"We're looking for more good news by getting some players back for Saturday's game with Fulham at Craven Cottage," said the United boss.

"Michael Owen will probably not play in it, but we're expecting him back with the rest of the first-team squad nearer the end of the week.

"And if Saturday will probably come too early for him, he should certainly be back for the game with Derby County at St James's Park."

While the Toon gaffer also confirmed that Damien Duff will continue his comeback from a dislocated foot in a specially-arranged behind-closed-doors game at the club's training ground this week.

"I've arranged a behind-closed doors game this week, when we're hoping the likes of Damien Duff, Abdoulaye Faye, Claudio Cacapa and Shola Ameobi will all play," he told the Evening Chronicle.

More good news. :celb:

All depends how we play around him. He'd have loved some of the knockdowns Smith has provided lately; whatever anyone says, Martins just doesn't have his movement. Have to agree it's a worry that he might just stroll in though, regardless of whether or not it's going to work.

All depends how we play around him. He'd have loved some of the knockdowns Smith has provided lately; whatever anyone says, Martins just doesn't have his movement. Have to agree it's a worry that he might just stroll in though, and it just not work.

I dont think Owen will walk back into the team simply because its a bit to risky with Martins going to the ACN, It would be best not to risk Owen and have Martins play because last thing we need is Owen getting injured and then Martins leaving for the ACN.

Will be interesting to see how Owen fits into the team that has got us results of late.

He certainly wont fit into the system we are playing

I disagree, with all Smith's flick ons and headers, it'll be great to partner him with a striker with decent movement and positioning instead of a headless chicken.

If we win all our games before Owen comes back, with this system, i'll be annoyed if he goes straight in the team. If our forwards are like they were infront of goal during the first half on Saturday, then he should go back in.

Guest rebel_yell12

Love to see Owen back -- especially a few matches BEFORE Martins heads off to the ACN, so he can get a bit of a run up, hopefully being used as a sub at first.  It worked well at his comeback from his last injury (v. Wigan) to use him as a "super-sub" after Martins had the run the sh*** out of the defence but not looked likely to score.  If he wasn't fit until Martins left, he'd have to go straight back in for 90 minutes every match, better to ease him in a bit.  I think Owen could link up well with Smith, the way Smith has been playing lately (flick-ons, and the like).  The bigger worry is the back four with Beye and Faye both missing.  Squad could be a bit thin there, like to see a buy (at least one) during the start of the January window to help out in the back.

On even better news, no England matches for him or fans to worry about.  Maybe he'll stay fit a bit this way.

All depends how we play around him. He'd have loved some of the knockdowns Smith has provided lately; whatever anyone says, Martins just doesn't have his movement. Have to agree it's a worry that he might just stroll in though, and it just not work.

I dont think Owen will walk back into the team simply because its a bit to risky with Martins going to the ACN, It would be best not to risk Owen and have Martins play because last thing we need is Owen getting injured and then Martins leaving for the ACN.

Great point. Sub against Derby (75 mins), sub against Wigan (50mins) Start him at Chelsea ?

Great point. Sub against Derby (75 mins), sub against Wigan (50mins) Start him at Chelsea ?

if someone like owen starts at chelsea i will shoot myself

we will need the pace of martins to counter attack, owen cant sprint and he does fuck all on the pitch

Some players feel like they've been around forever. Milner will be one of those. He'll be turning 28 and you'll be going, 'Jesus Christ, I'm pratically dead.'

Milner looks like a 1940s footballer, though. He's 80 years old in my book.

Some players feel like they've been around forever. Milner will be one of those. He'll be turning 28 and you'll be going, 'Jesus Christ, I'm pratically dead.'

he plays like one too.

bit like the first time i went to a newcastle match and supported a player younger than myself. (paul ferris)

he plays like one too.

I'm a massive Milner fan. If you took a straw poll of Villa fans asking how many would want us to re-sign him in January, I reckon it would be 80 percent in favour at least.