Sir Bobby Robson. *New poll*

Mick
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It would be nice to honour him with a match at the end of the season where he can get an amazing send off. Obviously it would be impossible to get most of the world stars hes managed over the years, but i'm sure the likes of Shearer, Beardsley, Lee and Speed would make an appearance if it would possible to get a Newcastle v select XI together in May before everyone goes on their holidays. I would there there would be plenty of people who would be more than happy to make an appearance for him.

It would be nice to honour him with a match at the end of the season where he can get an amazing send off. Obviously it would be impossible to get most of the world stars hes managed over the years, but i'm sure the likes of Shearer, Beardsley, Lee and Speed would make an appearance if it would possible to get a Newcastle v select XI together in May before everyone goes on their holidays. I would there there would be plenty of people who would be more than happy to make an appearance for him.

Possibly a Newcastle United XI vs Ipswich XI at SJP? Would be hard to organise but would definitely be worth it to have 50,000 chanting Bobby's name one last time

Possibly a Newcastle United XI vs Ipswich XI at SJP? Would be hard to organise but would definitely be worth it to have 50,000 chanting Bobby's name one last time

Fuck me, that would be emotional. :weep:

Guest DazzaNufc1892

love the bloke to pieces, but i think the stand is the wrong idea, its too cliche, we need something outside the ground, which would be easily useable by fans and be enjoyed. Like we have shearers bar, something people go, congregate and have a laugh, bob needs to be thought of as somewhere to go, not just a name on your ticket where you sit. Like the walkway outside the stadium as you go to the top of the stairs, why not have that as our own little wembley way, have it turned into an area of enjoyment, not just somewhere you walk, and name it after bob. You could have food tellers there, and maybe benches where each one has engraved on them bobs very best matches for england and the toon e.g. Newcastle United 2 V Everton 1 then the date and the scorers, and a little match summary. And then have a like, nice monument saying its all for sir bob, and how hes appreciated, then it would be a nice place for people to have pictures taken, over looking the bit of the city, and its something people can say they have seen.

love the bloke to pieces, but i think the stand is the wrong idea, its too cliche, we need something outside the ground, which would be easily useable by fans and be enjoyed. Like we have shearers bar, something people go, congregate and have a laugh, bob needs to be thought of as somewhere to go, not just a name on your ticket where you sit. Like the walkway outside the stadium as you go to the top of the stairs, why not have that as our own little wembley way, have it turned into an area of enjoyment, not just somewhere you walk, and name it after bob. You could have food tellers there, and maybe benches where each one has engraved on them bobs very best matches for england and the toon e.g. Newcastle United 2 V Everton 1 then the date and the scorers, and a little match summary. And then have a like, nice monument saying its all for sir bob, and how hes appreciated, then it would be a nice place for people to have pictures taken, over looking the bit of the city, and its something people can say they have seen.

Interesting ideas. :thup:

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Interesting ideas. :thup:

why thank you sir

Personally, although I wont oppose the idea of naming a stand after him, I think it is too grand a gesture for someone so modest and humble.

At Exeter City, one of their stands is named after their most famous players, Cliff Bastin. Bastin played 17 games scored six goals for Exeter City before joining Arsenal. Naturally this is ridiculed.

I doubt a stand named after Robson would ever be ridiculed, but in reality, for Robson, Newcastle are really a footnote of his career, and although he will be forever popular with us, his time at NUFC will become dimmed in the future by the role of future heroes. I think to get a really huge long term gesture at any club, you have had to achieve something, and although he has had a great career, I dont think he quite achieved enough at Newcastle.

Personally, I think there should be some gesture in the near future, probably a friendly or even a Robson Trophy that would start out as a tournament involving Robsons past clubs, but then become a regular pre-season tournament similar to the Amsterdam one, and of course Robson would be the guest and get to present the trophy.

And then when he passes away, we could create some sort of memorial, not a statue, but maybe a mural on a wall, or a large quality photo of Robson being the last thing the players see before running out of the tunnel, or my own favourite idea, having a seat in the stadium (either in the dugout or in one of the stands) kept permanently empty apart from a small park bench style plaque and a black and white scarf.

Probably get ridiculed, but just an idea; what about Bobby's image on our seats somewhere?

Like Jimmy Dickinson at Fratton Park:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7863/125264834c95b5973f0bh8.jpg

Personally, although I wont oppose the idea of naming a stand after him, I think it is too grand a gesture for someone so modest and humble.

At Exeter City, one of their stands is named after their most famous players, Cliff Bastin. Bastin played 17 games scored six goals for Exeter City before joining Arsenal. Naturally this is ridiculed.

I doubt a stand named after Robson would ever be ridiculed, but in reality, for Robson, Newcastle are really a footnote of his career, and although he will be forever popular with us, his time at NUFC will become dimmed in the future by the role of future heroes. I think to get a really huge long term gesture at any club, you have had to achieve something, and although he has had a great career, I dont think he quite achieved enough at Newcastle.

Personally, I think there should be some gesture in the near future, probably a friendly or even a Robson Trophy that would start out as a tournament involving Robsons past clubs, but then become a regular pre-season tournament similar to the Amsterdam one, and of course Robson would be the guest and get to present the trophy.

And then when he passes away, we could create some sort of memorial, not a statue, but maybe a mural on a wall, or a large quality photo of Robson being the last thing the players see before running out of the tunnel, or my own favourite idea, having a seat in the stadium (either in the dugout or in one of the stands) kept permanently empty apart from a small park bench style plaque and a black and white scarf.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

James,your eloquently put post,which i agree with 100%.A quaint Geordie eternal tribute would be superb.Indeed,your idea seeing it written down,i'm not ashamed to say,made me cry.

Probably get ridiculed, but just an idea; what about Bobby's image on our seats somewhere?

Like Jimmy Dickinson at Fratton Park:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7863/125264834c95b5973f0bh8.jpg

I'd say it was a good idea if we had the right coloured seats, but I dont think there is enough contrast for a decent Bobby face on our seats.

James in Sensible Shocker (see what I did there?).