Fulham 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 15/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

Dave

The way Oliver has gone about his reporting of NUFC since he lost his big pal FFS has been embarassing as it has vindictive. I actually hold him partially responsible for the OTT way the crowd reacted in the Liverpool game. He's been fanning the flames of despondency all season.

Problem is, too many Joe Soaps believe what he writes as gospel.

Doubly bitter as he was Roeder's mate too. Now he gets nowt from the boardroom and not much off the coaching staff either. It would be different if he was consistent but he always tended to play down the poor performances under Roeder.

Under the reigns of Souness and Roeder he hardly ever blamed the manager (or for that matter Chairman, focussing mainly on the foreign players who wouldnt give him interviews. How many times did he often cry that it wasnt Roeders fault the coffers were dry. Martins and NZogbia were often cheap and easy targets, taking the brunt of criticism. He obviously didnt want to ruffle the feathers in the managers office. I'm jumping to conclusions but i'm sure it wont have escaped Allardyce's attention that whilst he managed Bolton, Oliver wrote several damning articles on him following Newcastle v Bolton games. If SA is loathe to give Anal an exlusive or interview then to pettily snipe at him from Thomson House is nothing short of pathetic.

I've seen a huge change in the context of his recent articles. I don't believe he is getting his interviews anymore. His supposed "exclusives" are all straight from .co.uk too.

There have been a couple of instances recently where the players and Allardyce have specifically rubbished stories that originated from Anal. I'm thinking of the "3 senior players went to Allardyce complaining" story strongly denied by Given and Harper. There was also the "Allardyce spoke to Erickson about Man City's interest in buying Owen" story denied by Allardyce.

Given 6 - not a great deal to do, kicked it long too much for my liking.

Beye 7 - made some great tackles and blocks and on that basis is our man of the match BUT bouazza got the better of him too many times, or was simply given too much space, and when we needed width down the right, he was never there to supply it.

Cacapa 6 - pretty good i thought, read the game well and whenever he looked like he was struggling he'd use his experience to win the foul or shepherd it out.

Rozehnal 5 - too dodgy on too many occasions

N'Zogbia 5.5 - nowt special, didn't get forward enough especially in the 2nd half

Geremi 5 - pretty poor game but no worse than a few others who have received less criticism

Butt 4 - probably the worst player on the pitch, gave the ball away many times, shocking passing, torpid movement

Barton 6 - the most energetic of our midfield three and darted forward on occasion, but despite the effort he lacks quality to be the creative 'fulcrum' as parky would say. well taken pen.

Milner 5 - put a fair amount of crosses into the box but when you compare his delivery to bouazza's you can see how much we're missing. played too deep, like an orthodox winger, never got on the inside to support smith. decent pull back for viduka iirc, sadly the fatman was too sluggish to stick it in the back of the net.

Smith 6 - didn't hold his position well enough, never spearheading the team but launching into tackles in midfield or even in defence. had one or two good flickons in the first half and did well to win the pen. almost gave a goal away with a silly piece of defending.

Martins 5 - poor game, only moment of quality was the backheel which put milner clear in the box and deserved more than milner's poor pull back. positioning was bad but almost the opposite of milner's, played centrally when he shouldve been pulling out to the flanks.

emre and viduka gave us a bit more class on the ball as well as vision. unfortunately viduka was brought on for martins our one pace outlet, which defeats the point of having someone able to thread balls through. emre has to play if we go for a midfield three, as he then has two beside him to compensate for his wanderings upfield and all the risks he takes in possession. as soon as he came on he beat a player and played a lovely ball down the left for martins.

overall a very lucky win, had we lost that we couldn't have had too many complaints while a draw would've been fair enough. i worry that sam will see this as justification for his style of football and the continual misuse of players. while bouazza was probably the best player on the pitch, we had n'zogbia who is just as good stuck at left-back, as well as milner and martins playing out of position, and our lone-striker who couldnt present a goal threat if his life depended on it.

That's why Barton was entirely right in his assesment of what a destructive influence we can be as NUFC fans, although fair play for such a lengthy post.

are you for real?

I'm afraid he is :jesuswept:

oh well. not being negative to have a go at the players, it was an awful game, we were poor, fulham were poor, a draw would;ve been fair and any team that nicked a result would've been lucky. thank god it was us and not them. i'm sure joey barton will be fuming reading these comments...

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind taking a different view. It's the only sensible assessment of the match. When you're that poor and you score in the 92nd minute I think it's fair to say you've been fortunate. We'd have been unlucky to lose but I think Fulham looked slightly more dangerous if anything.

Last year we would have lost that game, that's the pleasing thing for me. Shows we're getting better, however gradually. If we had one midfield player who could switch the ball we would have been much better off as well, loads of times Milner and Zog were standing on the left 2 vs 2 but the ball was bogged down over the other side, with both teams just slugging it out and trying to play short passing to get out.

I don't think we were 'awful' on Saturday.  We were significantly better than the corresponding fixture last year.

And Fulham were significantly worse than last season. Don't want to put too much of a dampener on what was a great win but I'm not kidding myself about how we played.

Last year we would have lost that game, that's the pleasing thing for me. Shows we're getting better, however gradually. If we had one midfield player who could switch the ball we would have been much better off as well, loads of times Milner and Zog were standing on the left 2 vs 2 but the ball was bogged down over the other side, with both teams just slugging it out and trying to play short passing to get out.

That's the main thing that pleased me as well. If nothing else, at least we looked more resilient and fitter than we have done in the past, which should be worth a few points away from home at least whilst progress in other areas continues.

It was a great result but let's not pretend it was somehow a good performance. Both sides were diabolical and if we'd lost it, we could have had no complaints, same as Fulham can't. If me and Alex could see that blind drunk then surely everyone else can too.

You're always thinking about what can go right. Sometimes you think about what can go wrong. We tried to make substitutions in the right areas, and in the end it helped make a difference in helping us get the winner.

Mark Viduka flicked it on for the penalty, and Joey put it in the back of the net.

This might explain a few things as to how the big man views the players...

No wonder Viduka's on the bench if Sam thought he was the playing s*** as a right midfielder.

Thought someone would comment this...

Seems I'm the only one who thought it was funny.

You're always thinking about what can go right. Sometimes you think about what can go wrong. We tried to make substitutions in the right areas, and in the end it helped make a difference in helping us get the winner.

Mark Viduka flicked it on for the penalty, and Joey put it in the back of the net.

No wonder Viduka's on the bench if Sam thought he was the playing s*** as a right midfielder.

???

???

Forget it, probably just me being messed up...  : :cheesy:

???

Do you find your own avatar and sig to be particularly funny, or clever for that matter?

If so we may have found the root of the problem.

???

Do you find your own avatar and sig to be particularly funny, or clever for that matter?

If so we may have found the root of the problem.

I just like the movie.. So I thought I'd use the cover as an avatar. And I like the idea of Travis Bickle being a Toon fan. Same thing with the sig, that scene is one of the most powerful showings of a complete rejection, so thought it would be quite funny with Babayaro in that scene calling Big Sam..

The avatar is not very funny, a little clever perhaps, and very essentric certainly.. Maybe that's the problem

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8216/largelondon030sd4.jpg

Canny picture.....see if you can spot yourself if you were at the game  O0

I was just below and slightly to the right off that big board but can't seem to find myself  :lol:

Guest Southern Geordie

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8216/largelondon030sd4.jpg

Canny picture.....see if you can spot yourself if you were at the game  O0

I was just below and slightly to the right off that big board but can't seem to find myself  :lol:

Where did you get that? I was off to the right of that pic right near the front so am not in that picture! :(