N'Zogbia?

Guest Knightrider

Wasted at left back - fact

i'm not sure he is.. in fact i think he's doing pretty well there and his runs from deep are usually more dangerous, cause there's more space in front of him..

but as we're playing without a right winger for most of the season, it seems stupid that Sam's still insisting on playing him at the back

Has he beefed up? Looks bigger and seems to be far stronger on and off the ball.

Err, quite normal as one turns from a young man into a mature man. I said ages ago that I think he has the attributes to take on a similar role as Henry did at Arsenal and I still believe it. In a couple of years he'll be an excellent player, imo.

Has he beefed up? Looks bigger and seems to be far stronger on and off the ball.

Err, quite normal as one turns from a young man into a mature man. I said ages ago that I think he has the attributes to take on a similar role as Henry did at Arsenal and I still believe it. In a couple of years he'll be an excellent player, imo.

I think he's absolutely perfect for the left side of Sam's 4-3-3 system, the spot Milner has been playing in the last few games.

He's dynamite when 1 on 1 with the full back, really drives at his man and can whip in some great early crosses. Also got an eye for goal too so I'd expect him to get a few goals from that position if he got a run of games there.

As Jonny says, playing him at LB really isn't a good idea. He tries to make things happen too much, always trying to beat a man. At the back that's dangerous, but in advanced positions it's something you really need from one of your players and at the moment it's something none of our forward players can do, hence the reason we're largely quite shit going forward.

Sad indictment that Milner was probably our most threatening player going forward yesterday, despite the fact that he had about two semi-dangerous contributions in the entire game and generally playing fairly shit.

I think he's absolutely perfect for the left side of Sam's 4-3-3 system, the spot Milner has been playing in the last few games.

He's dynamite when 1 on 1 with the full back, really drives at his man and can whip in some great early crosses. Also got an eye for goal too so I'd expect him to get a few goals from that position if he got a run of games there.

As Jonny says, playing him at LB really isn't a good idea. He tries to make things happen too much, always trying to beat a man. At the back that's dangerous, but in advanced positions it's something you really need from one of your players and at the moment it's something none of our forward players can do, hence the reason we're largely quite s*** going forward.

Sad indictment that Milner was probably our most threatening player going forward yesterday, despite the fact that he had about two semi-dangerous contributions in the entire game and generally playing fairly s***.

True story

Guest Knightrider
playing him at LB really isn't a good idea

I disagree, it's made him into a much better all-round player which we are already seeing signs of this season from previous seasons. From a development perspective, it can only help his career and indeed Newcastle United. Yes he's a better left-winger than a left-back but combining the two as is happening will make him into a much more competent player at both ends of the pitch which in any Big Sam side will be very important. He won't stay there forever, his time in his correct position will come and when it does, he'll be far more effective and so will we.

Short term vs long term etc.

Guest Knightrider

The only reason for keeping him at left-back right now is that we've had a measure of success lately with a mostly settled defence.

That and our left-flank is far more effective than our right and indeed part of the reason why we've been getting more joy in matches of late. Both N'Zogbia and Milner work well together. Milner's work-rate allows N'Zogbia to get forward late on in matches as the cover is there, while N'Zogbia's pace and attacking strengths allows us to pin back the opposition flank which we did against Arsenal who have excellent attacking options down their right. In short I can see every reason why the manager likes having those two down our left, and lets be honest here, until Duff returns and Enrique adjusts fully, we don't have many options do we?

It isn't ideal of course but the two are doing OK in their respective roles.

The only reason for keeping him at left-back right now is that we've had a measure of success lately with a mostly settled defence.

That and our left-flank is far more effective than our right and indeed part of the reason why we've been getting more joy in matches of late. Both N'Zogbia and Milner work well together. Milner's work-rate allows N'Zogbia to get forward late on in matches as the cover is there, while N'Zogbia's pace and attacking strengths allows us to pin back the opposition flank which we did against Arsenal who have excellent attacking options down their right. In short I can see every reason why the manager likes having those two down our left, and lets be honest here, until Duff returns and Enrique adjusts fully, we don't have many options do we?

Spot on, both of you, which is why i'd keep him there. Yeah, he's wasted a bit at left-back, but finally we've got some continuity and much improved results/performances (Fulham was the only bad performance of the last four, but we're always shite there and we still won) - so we shouldn't be changing imo.

It's not long-term, and like you said earlier HTT, it's improved N'Zogbia as a player anyway. He's definitely a left-winger in the future and i think he'll be a very good one, but there's no need to change a successful formula at this moment in time. Especially against a Derby team which is ripe for the picking.

positionally I think he is slightly improving, in yesterday's game he made 2 crucial interceptions 1 of which was in the 6 yard box and would most probably have ended in a goal.

I still would rather he played further upfield in his natural position instead of LB as i think the team would beneift alot more from that and he's not a LB afterall, but either way I think the experience will do him good.

Spot on, both of you, which is why i'd keep him there. Yeah, he's wasted a bit at left-back, but finally we've got some continuity and much improved results/performances (Fulham was the only bad performance of the last four, but we're always s**** there and we still won) - so we shouldn't be changing imo.

It's not long-term, and like you said earlier HTT, it's improved N'Zogbia as a player anyway. He's definitely a left-winger in the future and i think he'll be a very good one, but there's no need to change a successful formula at this moment in time. Especially against a Derby team which is ripe for the picking.

I can see the point, and agree that long term it will improve N'Zogbia a bit in years to come, though not really anywhere near as much as HTT seems to be indicating.

But with the current lot of players we have going forward I'm not sure we're massively capable of giving Derby the picking their... ripeness... encourages??

With N'Zogbia further forward I think we'd stand a much better chance of doing that, which is my point.

Can see us struggling to score our first goal next week. We've been absolutely rubbish at taking the game to teams this year, Derby will sit back and invite us at them and I'm not sure we'll be able to do so.

I had said to a mate of mine prior to the game that i'd be tempted to go 4-4-2 against Derby, and really take the game to them. Which we certainly could do.

But i don't think we really need to. 4-3-3 has worked best for us this season, this run of results is merely evidence of that (our two very, very best performances of the season were using this formation aswell, Bolton/Arsenal).

We might aswell keep this system cos we'll win with it anyway. Reverting to 4-4-2 just for this one game, just so we can try and hammer them, ruins the continuity and could end us up back in square one if we don't get it right. 3 points is 3 points.