How Many League Goals Do You Think Alan Smith Will Score This Season? Answer: 0

The College Dropout

He doesnt take freekicks or pens & has his back to goal all the time so none in his current postion. If went & played RF in a 433 I may put him down for 5 to 8, as I still have memories of him destroying Roma from that postion*.

*= That's the position he looked like he played, its hard to  tell with Man Utd who plays where when they have such great movement.

Fergie saw him as a defensive midfielder because of his effort, workrate, and passion, 3 traits he shared with Roy Keane.  Unfortunatley, Keane was able to channel that energy into increasing his techincal skill, positional sense, and passing.  Smith is the better goal scorer, he's just had that knocked out of him.  He'd also not been played for years as a striker before being asked to fill a midfield role. 

More than you.

I scored 2 goals in my league on Sunday thank you very much.  :smug:

It'll be nearly 3 years before he scores more than that.

Probably.

Still, he has been excellent since we have moved him up front.  We need a battler.

Fergie saw him as a defensive midfielder because of his effort, workrate, and passion, 3 traits he shared with Roy Keane.  Unfortunatley, Keane was able to channel that energy into increasing his techincal skill, positional sense, and passing.  Smith is the better goal scorer, he's just had that knocked out of him.  He'd also not been played for years as a striker before being asked to fill a midfield role. 

Keane scored a few goals playing as a defensive midfielder. if I was asked how many goals Keane would score in a season I'd probably go for at least 6. All match-winners more than likely.

He's a decent footballer but the fact Fergie eventually saw him as a defensive midfielder says quite a lot about Smith's lack of goal-scoring instinct.

Always looking for the negative.  :nope:

Perhaps it said something about how Fergie saw his tenacity and leadership qualities, these being very good attributes for that area of the pitch.

no more than a handfull - and it will be a big problem. his work rate is greatly appreciated when he plays up front, but to keep his position he should score at least 10 on top of giving opponents a rough time and creating space and chances for his team mates.

if played as one of two strikers in a 4-4-2 he might get a few more as his "back to goal" style might allow for the wingers to push up and cross the ball back to him or oba...