Newcastle United 2 - 2 Derby - 23/12/07 - post match reaction from page 15

James

What's scary to me is that Big Sam appears to have believed that the last two wins were justification for his ridiculous tactics, when in fact, the games were won in spite of his efforts. Like always, we arguably had four players out there playing outside their best positions. There was no reason to not put Jose Enrique out there against Derby and allow N'Zogbia and Milner to play where they're best suited. How hard is it to figure out:

----------------Given

---Beye---Taylor---Cacapa---Enrique

--Milner---Emre---Barton----N'Zogbia

---------Viduka---Martins

If that team goes out there today and allowed to just play the game at the level they're capable of, Derby would be beaten, imo.

'The gap' is appearing again. In between the defence and midfield, there's no communication between the two so a lot of the time it's easy to bypass our midfield and get it into their strikers feet which Derby did quite well to be fair to them.

Funny that.

The way people go on here, you would have thought that dropping Geremi would have improved our midfield.

Perhaps not.

What's scary to me is that Big Sam appears to have believed that the last two wins were justification for his ridiculous tactics, when in fact, the games were won in spite of his efforts. Like always, we arguably had four players out there playing outside their best positions. There was no reason to not put Jose Enrique out there against Derby and allow N'Zogbia and Milner to play where they're best suited. How hard is it to figure out:

----------------Given

If that team goes out there today and allowed to just play the game at the level they're capable of, Derby would be beaten, imo.

Good point. How is Enrique going to get used to English football by not being played? What better occassion to bed him in than at home to the bottom team of the league on the back of a couple of good results..?

Even though we weren't great, we still had the chances to score 4 or 5 easily. I really do worry about Smith & Martins. I know one was out of position, but his all-round basic footballing skills let him down. Poor touch, crap passing, didn't use his pace...poor. Thank f*ck for Viduka, a natural finisher. Hopefully when Owen's back we'll see them given a run up-front.

"Sam cannot beat a Derby with a team that ...."  ???

My thoughts on the game are that we outperformed a hard working Derby outfit, that took their chances, for long periods of the game. From the kick off we had at least 2 chances to score in a minute. It is disappointing tht we have only got 1 point today, when most were expecting a comfortable 4-0 win, but we didn't lose and the unbeaten run continues. Both of Derby's goals were well taken. I'm disappointed with a few individual displays and not convinced by a few, but would anyone take any Derby players into their Newcastle team?

The referee wasn't great and I thought he missed a penalty for the barge on Smith in the first 20 minutes and constant time wasting by Derby. If we were to sack Allardyce now (in the most hectic part of the season) that would be the worst decision possible. I predict a better display against Wigan (although some will say it can't take much after today).

Crap game, the fight outside the Gate afterwards was entertaining though.

From what i heard it was more entertaining than Hatton v Mayweather. A good old fashioned ruck.

'The gap' is appearing again. In between the defence and midfield, there's no communication between the two so a lot of the time it's easy to bypass our midfield and get it into their strikers feet which Derby did quite well to be fair to them.

Funny that.

The way people go on here, you would have thought that dropping Geremi would have improved our midfield.

Perhaps not.

Touche James, touche :lol:

Agree with Nut, Emre really should be getting a few more chances to start and see if he can get some form going. He's been poor at times, but he's someone who at least looks capable of making something happen and playing the ball about. I remember in Roeder's early time we played a sort of 4-4-1-1 with Emre just off the striker and we played some cracking stuff at times with him in extremely advanced positions, Solano's goal against Everton came in a game with him there.

Give him a game playing just off Viduka with a couple of wingers either side, have him the most advanced with Barton and Butt doing the bulk of the work defensively. Whether he'd be good enough there long term I don't know, he's always been very erratic. But he's a clever footballer and would certainly give us something we sorely lack in the final third right now.

----------------Given

Good point. How is Enrique going to get used to English football by not being played? What better occassion to bed him in than at home to the bottom team of the league on the back of a couple of good results..?

I'm guessing you know every detail about why Enrique isn't playing yeah? didn't think so.

Sam Interview video:

http://www.skysports.com/video/0,20285,12606_3002993,00.html

----------------Given

I'm guessing you know every detail about why Enrique isn't playing yeah? didn't think so.

Sam Interview video:

Video is currently unavailable. Why? What does he say a propos Enrique? If he's injured than that's fair enough of course..

Sam Interview video:

Just watched it. He never mentions Enrique.

The scary thing he does say is that we don't have to go gung-ho against Wigan like we did against Derby!

No need to mention Enrique.

No need to even have him or any other full back on the subs bench if he is not going to start him in my opinion (or at least certainly if other players are available). Having two players on the bench with experience of being an emegency left back makes iteven more pointless, especially when we wanted to attack today.

Sam Interview video:

The scary thing he does say is that we don't have to go gung-ho against Wigan like we did against Derby!

No need to even have him or any other full back on the subs bench if he is not going to start him in my opinion (or at least certainly if other players are available). Having two players on the bench with experience of being an emegency left back makes iteven more pointless, especially when we wanted to attack today.

Are you having a laugh or what, man? One change involving Jose and we become a real football team. Nah let's keep our best midfielder at left back. Much better.

Sam Interview video:

Are you having a laugh or what, man? One change involving Jose and we become a real football team. Nah let's keep our best midfielder at left back. Much better.

Its just my view that having a full back on the bench is a waste of a substitutes place and would only serve the purpose of replacing an injured player.

Unless like Beye, the full back can play centre back, its a case of either start them or dont involve them, unless of course the number of substitutes allowed in the League gets increased.

Sam Interview video:

Willow, seeing as Enrique doesn't seem to be injured and we have no information that there is some kind of major problem with him why are you having a go at me for pointing out that not playing him today was a missed opportunity if the reason he's not being played has to do with getting used to Premiership football..

Sam Interview video:

Its just my view that having a full back on the bench is a waste of a substitutes place and would only serve the purpose of replacing an injured player.

Unless like Beye, the full back can play centre back, its a case of either start them or dont involve them, unless of course the number of substitutes allowed in the League gets increased.

A waste of a place? :lol:

Jose on at half time... no hang on, from the start, for Alan "what's that over there with the net attached?" Smith and we win at a canter today.

But no, two games against Derby, two games with Charlie at LB and we get a point. Fucking shit.