Alan Smith

tmonkey

I'd want to play football. If that meant having to get by on a paltry £1.5m a year then I think I'd go along with that.

Realistically though....no f***er would pay Smith anywhere near £30k a week :lol:

I think he'd struggle to get half that to be honest, he'd go to a mid-table championship team at best and they surely wouldn't be able to afford much more than £10k. I can sympathise with the greedy angle but realistically I think he'd be taking a £2m+ paycut per year to play for a fairly s*** championship team which probably wouldn't be that exciting when you've previously played in the champions league and got a few England caps under your belt.

He should be looking to get some mental deal in China, Qatar or the like.

Smith played alongside Michael Duberry whilst he was at Leeds. I dare say Duberry wasn't on the same type of wages as Smith was. He's not the greatest player and was a bit of a liability but he's currently playing for Oxford Utd in League 2. I've got nothing but respect for Duberry who has slipped down the leagues but is still playing regularly. He's a footballer who has been prepared to put playing above earning money. His priorities are right - play as long as you can.

Smith's priorities are f***ed up.

s*** example tbh.

57 appearances in 6 years at Leeds btw, should he have left earlier to seek regular football?  That's a lot less football than Smith has played here.

The point was that Duberry made playing football a priority. Smith doesn't seem to want to play. 

You're making it sound like he's doing a Tevez.. I'm sure Smith would be delighted if Pardew selected him to play in the absence of Tiote.

Pardew's made it clear he'll not pick him regardless of a Tiote injury. Smith's had the chance to play regularly for Leeds this season but, despite it being blatantly obvious that he's out of favour here, he'd rather not go elsewhere. 

His manager doesn't rate him, Smith knows this and he'd still rather not play for us as opposed to play at a lower level for a lower wage. Don't get it.

Money, obviously. I'd do the same as Smith.

Would you move to a school in a shitter area for half your salary but more contact teaching time with the kids?

Teachers aren't footballers and the jobs aren't comparable in any way.

A 21 year-old teacher is doing the same job as a 64 year-old teacher. Less contact time with kids is easier than more contact time. Your wage is not negotiable. The career is often 3 or 4 times as long etc

s*** example tbh. ;) 

I'm sure having every Saturday off is easier than playing as well.

Bottom line is we both hope he f***s off and the sooner the better but I have no real ill feeling towards him.

You having a pop there like? :lol:

I'm paid to perform for 195 days a year. This useless c*** can't be trusted to perform at all due to his lack of ability. I hope he f***s off asap and people see him for what he actually is.

:lol: was on about a pro footballer not being in the match day squad and so having the day off.

:lol:

Never got this argument that he's a good pro and all that. Always came across as a complete cock when he was at Leeds imo.

How about the 4,5 seasons he's been with us? Cannot remember him coming across as a complete cock unlike some other players (Barton, Carroll, Bowyer) who we all forgave quite easily because they were producing out on the pitch. Let's face it, being a cock and not being good enough are two completely different things, and it seems to me that some people have more problems with the latter than with the former...  :hmm:

Course he's an utter bellend.

He's happily sat on the bench/in the stands while not playing and only when his contract is nearly up does he come out and say needs to play.

When he's played, the guy has hid on the pitch so many times its not even funny.

He's shit, he knows it but he happily bleed us dry.

Thanks for the effort in the championship and good luck.

Hopefully we've seen him for the last time in a Newcastle shirt!

What efforts in the Championship? He was our weak link in the first few months, and as soon as he was out of the team our performances improved dramatically.

Thanks for the effort in the championship and good luck.

Hopefully we've seen him for the last time in a Newcastle shirt!

What efforts in the Championship? He was our weak link in the first few months, and as soon as he was out of the team our performances improved dramatically.

Im still of the opinion that he did a good job for us, considering our situation at the time.

Can remember at home to Swansea in the Championship, we were 3-0 up and he missed a sitter near the end. I knew then that he was completely beyond repair, even as a second-tier player.

Staggering fall from grace. Will be so glad to be shot of him; got to be one of the worst signings we've ever made considering the financial burden he has been.

Don't think lads are cunts for sitting on the bench and picking up millions. This is real life, at the end of the day, get paid. Football is a job, I don't know why we act surprised when we here someone is happy to do nothing and pick up millions. That's most of our dreams.

I don't dislike him because he's picking up that wage. It's him being shit that bothers me.